Poll: How Much Money Do You Spend On Video Games Per Year? (help me with my work)

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Not that much because I'm cheap and wait for Christmas and birthday whenever something comes out remotely close.

But...I did play WoW for 7 months last year, so that's $105 right there. And I did buy a few steam and virtual console games. Probably about $200-$250 USD

Oh, and I usually buy pre-owned if it's a last gen game (obviously, it's hard to find a new Shadow of the Colossus, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, or F-zero GX), or if it's a game that I know will sell well anyway and I can wait for a cheaper copy.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Well, this last year I calculated about $600 in online sales (for the purposes of California's online tax); this amount was mostly games. It's slightly inflated from normal due to my having acquired about 125 iPod games during this time; but other than that it's pretty indicative.

I'm acquiring quite a collection, if I do say so myself. 100 or 200 physical-copy games, 120 or so Steam games, 35-40 games on Gamer's Gate, 30-40 games on Direct2Drive, about ten on Impulse, 15 to 20 on GOG.com, and 220 or thereabouts on the iPod.

The vast majority, of course, were acquired on the cheap - but it's volume, not price, that matters for collections (in my view). I have pretty much half the notable games released on PC in the past ten years... but the pride and joy of my collection is an original boxed copy (in good condition, although I had to repair a few rips) of Age of Empires - the very first game I ever bought!

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Lucifer dern said:
If you feel in the mood to comment however please answer these questions for me
How often do you buy games that are pre-owned?
and how often do you play free games? (games designed and intended to be free e.g. flash games)
I will sometimes play a free to play MMORPG, but not all that often.

I do buy used games, but usually not with the intent of trading them back. When I want to support a game developer (because I've liked their previous titles) I buy new on release day.

Also, while I buy a good number of games, I don't always buy with cash. I get a lot with gift cards (which I get as "cash back" from my credit card, which I use for groceries, gas, and shopping - I get a 25 dollar gift card every two-three months, more if there's a major purchase or a vacation in there).

I get a lot of games as gifts - I have a number of gamer friends who sometimes buy me games. They usually buy used. And, because my friends sometimes buy me games that they like, but that I don't, those are the games that often get traded in after a play-through (or less if I really don't like the game) for other games.

I converted by USD purchases to pounds above - I think I got the exchange rate right.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Umm... a lot.

No idea how much though. Still less idea how much it would come to in pounds.

Hm. This wasn't much use. Sorry.

Epailes

Jul 5, 2010
The amount per year depends on the amount of games that I want released that year, and it's generally 5 or 6 new games so about £200, then arcade and digital games much be another £50.

I don't buy a used game unless I can't find it new. I prefer my money going back to the developer rather that the retailer.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Considering I only usually buy about 1 game (or the equivalent) a year it's about $60 USD (which I translated to be about £42).

I'll probably spend a little more this year though with lots of games that I want coming out (Brink, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, inFamous 2).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I don't have a lot of money so I don't buy quite often and the fact I own a Wii (no offence to those who own and like it) which mean there aren't that many games worth buying on the Wii. Anyway I voted £51- £100 since there are games that I am waiting to buy for and I do make use of the trades in and preowned games. Also in Christmas I do buy more games on sales.

Myskomunken

Mar 4, 2011
I'd say about 200 pound. More if I could find some way to survive without food. Most of these games are pre used games or old games that has gone on sale. Ex-student with no job doesn't allow for a too hefty gaming budget.

Marcu5

Jun 24, 2009
Since i haven't had a job for a while, and now have a new rige and some money to spend, I have to guess here: I estimate it will be somewhere around £300-£400 this year, maybe a bit more since £170 or so i already spent this year so far.

I don't buy any used games at all, but that may be just because i almost exclusively buy through Steam.

I don't play free, flash, or f2p games except Alien Swarm, which i played quite a few hours with friends.

aquaman839 said:
I'm not sure what the exchange rate is but around $200 US.
just Google "200 USD in GBP" ;)

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
I'm probably not calculating this right, but somewhere between 200-300. Back when I was gainfully employed I'd get myself a "new" game each month or so, new meaning new for me, not necessarily new on the shelves. So the price of the game could be anything between $20-60. Now that I don't have disposable income, it's been a good few months since I've purchased a game for myself. I pre-ordered The Sims Medieval, but that's definitely the first game I've gotten for myself since Christmas.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
about 100-150£ ; hooray for very affordable indie games on steam (even if they're short, sometimes)! and not even a handful of AAA games.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
It depends on releases, maybe around £150? That'd be around 2-3 new releases and some old thing or special offer on Steam/PSN that catches my eye.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
$400-500 USD a year.

About 6-7 games a year usually. If there's a lot of good games coming out, I'll buy more.

I've already bought 3 this year. XD I'm buying one next week too. Damn nice gaming line up.

Blackglasswar

Sep 1, 2010
on average i spend about £20 an disc and never buy used from a store, just eBay if it is an older game. I hardly buy on day of release and wait for the usual 1-month down the line reductions that crop up online/ instore. Couple that with an on average purchase of 1 game a month at least and the occasional DLC.

Thanks to that I now have a PS3 collection of over 70 games.

Vosem

Dec 11, 2008
Between $500 and $800 US a year. About 1 or 2 games a month. Sometimes more when I'm buying cheap older games.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
I spend a pretty large amount of money on videogames. It all depends on releases of course. A year like this with many really great titles coming I usually spend around 3.200DKK ($600)