Poll: How smart do you think you are?

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Slightly Above Average or just Average...I waste too much time and study bores the hell out of me and I have to force myself to complete assignments. However I normally get a Credit mark for my assignments so I guess thats about average mark for minimal effort.

I could be way smarter if I tried to be but I am happy at my current level...kinda wish I was retired and wealthy so I wouldn't have to do anything except whatever the hell I wanted to...I have a looooong way to go before then though!

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Above average, but I'm lazy as fuck at school and do no work so I get lots of Achieveds. I get about 20% Merit and 5% Excellence, 10% Not Achieved.

Rpground

Aug 9, 2009
im constantly right about everything i say to people...its not fun when people are too arrogant to say "im wrong" even when they know your right...its like a curse! everyone hates you for it! Dx

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Linguistically, and I'm probably smarter than most but that's it, most people outclass me in other areas. I do think I'm more prone to think logically under pressure than most, though.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
Above average. I don't think I am that smart but I have been told otherwise when I pull some random fact out of nowhere. That and the fact that I am good at taking test.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
navyjeff said:
Intelligence is pointless if you don't do something cool with it. So if you think you're above average, get out there and do something above average.
I already am. My final year thesis was to put an entire production-line's worth of folks out of a job by replacing them with a single image-processing unit. Not surprisingly, it worked better than expected.

Of course, Toowoomba's no longer a particularly safe place for me to visit... such a loss. Then again, it was over five years ago...

Also, it's good to see a few other geniuses here.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Nothing can beat my averageness. In fact, I could assume I'm below average, but that's probably just the standard twisted selfdepiction.
*looks at "way above average" and "above average" numbers*
YEAH SOUNDS [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OnlySaneMan] ABOUT RIGHT [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NotSoAboveItAll]

scully745

Mar 15, 2011
Last time I took an IQ test I got about 127 from memory, but for ages I still would have said I'm average/slighty below average. Sorta changed on that seeing as I've realised I just havn't been pushing myself at all, doing much better now I've got a goal set although years of doing nothing have hurt alot. Still, doing General Maths (Australian) and currently topping the course for Software Design so go figure...

That and I think for one course a year or so ago I picked a topic we hadn't covered at all and still managed to beat most of my year, that wasn't so much because I knew more about it but because I had a bone to pick with that teacher who failed me on a few tests for writing about that same "incorrect" topic. Not sure if that counts as intelligence or stubborness though

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I'm quite strong in some areas of intelligence (logical, spacial, linguistic) and weak in others (musical, bodily-kinesthetic). I think overall (although there technically is no overall) I'm generally intelligent.

Now do I posses wisdom enough to consistently apply such intelligence soundly? Hell no! But that grows over time as you mature.

Rainforce said:
Nothing can beat my averageness. In fact, I could assume I'm below average, but that's probably just the standard twisted selfdepiction.
*looks at "way above average" and "above average" numbers*
YEAH SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT
That's exactly what thought when I looked at the chart :D.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
I'd actually wager most people on the Escapist ARE above average intelligence. Not sure that there's quite the amount of geniuses there appears to be but you never know...

I mean it seriously, the amount of people in this world that are idiots is surprisingly high and their idiocy is pretty damned impressive. Such people aren't likely to be interested in the Escapist. Not sure it's going to make quite the disparity we have here (and seeing as most people overestimate their IQ we're free to be sceptical of those who haven't taken standardised tests (read: not internet ones)) but I'd think there is going to be a higher proportion of smarter people on the Escapist.

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
Well on one hand you can toss just about any question about physics at me (Astrophysics in particular) and I can probably give you an answer. 'Sides that I have this immense base of completely useless trivia facts. I've also been told I have a knack for bringing together completely different people and processing situations far removed from "my world".

On the other hand I can have issues with common sense. As well, when it comes to useful day-to-day memorization I'm pretty much hopeless, and my mental math isn't as strong as it used to me. (Still, there are sticky notes and calculators for the last two.)

In the end I put above average, if only based on the rural area where I live.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
BlueMage said:
navyjeff said:
Intelligence is pointless if you don't do something cool with it. So if you think you're above average, get out there and do something above average.
I already am. My final year thesis was to put an entire production-line's worth of folks out of a job by replacing them with a single image-processing unit. Not surprisingly, it worked better than expected.

Of course, Toowoomba's no longer a particularly safe place for me to visit... such a loss. Then again, it was over five years ago...

Also, it's good to see a few other geniuses here.
Wow, arragant much? I have to take issue with the fact that the sentence, 'Not surprisingly, it worked better than expected.' makes no sense. If it worked better than you expected it to, how could you not be surprised?

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I think that I can be very wise at times. I try to listen to every side of a story before I judge someone. I'm very tolerant, I have a way with words, good grammar and I learn quickly.

I'm sure there are people who are smarter than me, but first you have to define the word "smarter". I'm not that good at math for example, but I'm really creative and I'm good at solving problems.

Even though the hardly mean anything, I did and IQ test and got a 130. So I'm not MENSA material, but I would say that I (just like everyone apparently) am above average. But only slightly.
(what's average anyway?)

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Morty815 said:
Wow, arragant much? I have to take issue with the fact that the sentence, 'Not surprisingly, it worked better than expected.' makes no sense. If it worked better than you expected it to, how could you not be surprised?
I think hope that he wasn't serious, so let's just interpret it as that.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
IQ of 125, but obviously the test was flawed, as I am the pinnacle of human evolution :p

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
IQ - way above agerage
academic performance - above average
common sense - nil (well, almost) - never had to use it really.

I don't know about other surveys but I'd say on the escapist it's dead on, if not low.

The reason I say that I'm above average, is that I just feel like that (although I can be completely in the wrong here). Or maybe it's something to do with absolutely EVERYONE I know calling me a genius, even the ones on my course at uni >.>.

Sometimes it bothers me :(.

The IQ tests just back everyone else's point too :/.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Christ, these things inevitably end up being the pseudo-intellectuals version of a dick measuring contest.

First point: IQ tests are absolutely shit. Taking a different version of the same test will net you up to an extra 20 points, due to scaling. Even the most professional IQ tests are bollocks.

Second point: To all the people complaining about everyone on here over-valuing their intellect. Did it occur to you that a middle-class teen with internet access (basically the main demographic of The Escapist) would have access to considerably more information and education than many others in the world? Definitely not a stretch to say that most people on here are smarter than average.

And third point: Yeah, I'm smarter than average. Want me to provide evidence? Nah.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I think I'm average at best in terms of intellectuality, actual "book-smarts". Maybe even below average. I'm definitely not an intellectual. But my sense of logic and rationality I believe is excellent, and that's what matters most to me.

Innegativeion said:
*looks at poll results*

hahahaha ^_^ Well, at least we know the escapist community has a good sense of self-worth.
Or, more likely, a high level of pretentiousness :p