Poll: How will first contact go down?

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
They would find us, realize we have some minerals and resources that are common on our world, but rare on theirs, and ask for a trade agreement while introducing themselves. No peace, no war, just introduction and mutual agreements. It could lead either way at that point. Eventually they would trade technology, and relationships could either decrease or increase, and with luck we'd have two sentient species living on one world.

Would also lead to some political chaos as to what to do about this (which is highly likely to finally cause global unity).

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Grayjack72 said:
They will find us, then they will say "We come in peace." But, The government would pull the war reflex, and we will have a giant epic war.
Who is "the government"? Did Majestic 12 take over when I wasn't looking?

I don't think we'll come into contact with a war-faring species; I don't think any extraterrestrial life developing in similar conditions would survive to develop interstellar travel without maintaining peace amongst themselves. It'd only seem logical to extend this peace to outsiders. As for who'll get found first, probably us, given that we're running out of conventional oil and usable next-generation propulsion systems are still 50-60 years in the future (unless we make a breakthrough).

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
They find us. Eventually the initial confusion ends and we enter and age of peace.

I don't get why anyone thinks we will go to war with them. I think our government understands that if a species is capable of traveling through space to reach us, they are capable of easily eradicating us.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Babylon 5 first contact makes SO MUCH SENSE with the whole Minbari thing and how we are so new and different hat after we finish our war we become part of some new world order and the galaxy becomes a playground.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I'm pretty sure aliens already know of our exsitence. How about all the UFO sightings over the years? They're just waiting for the right moment to attack...either that or they don't want to mess with a species that is close to self-annihilation anyway. If I were the learder of an alien civilization, I certainly wouldn't want to endanger my people by introducing them to a species that's so unstable.

cptjack42

Mar 16, 2009
If an alien race that's much more advanced than us finds us, there is no real incentive to make contact. There are plenty of resources to gather without the unnecessary contact with another race. Therefore, if an alien race finds us (which I believe will happen because of humanities problems and the possibilities of the other race being devoid of 'human' problems), they won't be too much more advanced than us, and we will simply have a short war reflex before we find a way to understand each other.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
More advanced then us? beg, bow, scrape, grovel. Take what they've got, slowly work out the best way to take over.

As advanced as us? War!

Less advanced then us? err no brainer, enslavement.

Human nature baby. just look at how we dealt with other "alian" human cultures throughout history

Thespian42

Apr 5, 2009
They're going to do research ahead of time to see what humans are like by looking at human media. They'll see the usual portrayals of aliens and be like "THIS is what they think of us?! Screw it, take us home, Zorbulon."

...Probably.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
CuddlyCombine said:
Grayjack72 said:
They will find us, then they will say "We come in peace." But, The government would pull the war reflex, and we will have a giant epic war.
Who is "the government"? Did Majestic 12 take over when I wasn't looking?

I don't think we'll come into contact with a war-faring species; I don't think any extraterrestrial life developing in similar conditions would survive to develop interstellar travel without maintaining peace amongst themselves. It'd only seem logical to extend this peace to outsiders. As for who'll get found first, probably us, given that we're running out of conventional oil and usable next-generation propulsion systems are still 50-60 years in the future (unless we make a breakthrough).
The government as in the government of whatever area they land in.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Grayjack72 said:
Somehow I think the UN and other world forces would intervene before the government of Bosnia starts attacking alien spaceships.

Crimsanon

Feb 11, 2009
CuddlyCombine said:
Grayjack72 said:
Somehow I think the UN and other world forces would intervene before the government of Bosnia starts attacking alien spaceships.
I'd like to think that they'd establish communications before just landing their ships anywhere on the planet.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Crimsanon said:
I'd like to think that they'd establish communications before just landing their ships anywhere on the planet.
There's no guarantee they're using the same communications equipment as we are. And even if they did, we wouldn't understand each other, unless they're incredibly advanced.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I've always kind of thought that us humans would be the first to find other alien life. It's ingrained into the public conscious that if life were out there, they'd certainly be more advanced technologically than us.

I however, figure it'd be totally possible that if there is indeed alien life on other planets, that we might very well be the more advanced.

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
I think we will find them. not for a while though. and when we do they will not be evolved enough to communicate so humans bring them to earth as pets and then eventualy it will be like the halo novel where we make colonies on other planets and then a more advanced race will try to destroy us for religious purposes.

TheFurryChicken

Jun 29, 2008
Humanity fears what we do not know. Thusly, the reaction will likely be to shoot first and ask questions later, just in case they weren't friendly. They could actually be trying to be diplomatic and form an alliance of technologies or something, and we'll never know because we'll shoot at them, they'll see it as a threat and blow up our planet.

dijital101

Nov 7, 2008
They will find us (again) and be confused as to why we turned their last visit into a "holy book" that we constantly fight over.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
dijital101 said:
They will find us (again) and be confused as to why we turned their last visit into a "holy book" that we constantly fight over.
I bow to you, for you are master of all. Best response ever.