Poll: I hate all the Mega Man games

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
VincentX3 said:
Denamic said:
VincentX3 said:
I would have to say no. There not hard. It's mostly practice and getting better and not rushing through the games expecting to be handheld all the way through.
If you have to practice to beat it, it's a hard game.
*Slowclap*

So all game's are hard then? By your logic, they are.
Guess Mario is even to hard by that logic.
I suppose he has a point. After all, hardness depends on your level of skill. Once you've practiced, it stops being hard and becomes easy, or manageable and thus you no longer need to practice. If you don't need to practice anymore, then by Denamic's standards, it isn't hard. Of course, being initially hard doesn't mean it's bad. I'd be sorely disappointed by any game that didn't kill me at least once on my first playthrough (Looking at you Assassins Creed).

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
VincentX3 said:
Denamic said:
VincentX3 said:
I would have to say no. There not hard. It's mostly practice and getting better and not rushing through the games expecting to be handheld all the way through.
*Slowclap*

Yes. You're trying to be sardonic, but you're accidentally correct. Difficulty is relative. A Mario game can be very difficult to an unskilled gamer. A puzzle game can be difficult to even a veteran gamer. Point is, if you have to practice to beat a game, the game is hard for you at the time, or you wouldn't need to practice.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Denamic said:
VincentX3 said:
Denamic said:
VincentX3 said:
*Slowclap*

Yes. You're trying to be sardonic, but you're accidentally correct. Difficulty is relative. A Mario game can be very difficult to an unskilled gamer. A puzzle game can be difficult to even a veteran gamer. Point is, if you have to practice to beat a game, the game is hard for you at the time, or you wouldn't need to practice.
It is relative but:

Not knowing what to do =\= Difficult
Which in most Megaman games, if you know what you're doing, then it's most likely not difficult.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
VincentX3 said:
Denamic said:
VincentX3 said:
Denamic said:
VincentX3 said:
*Slowclap*

It is relative but:

Not knowing what to do =\= Difficult
Which in most Megaman games, if you know what you're doing, then it's most likely not difficult.
Not particularly interested in arguing semantics, but at least in my experience:

Knowing what to do =\= Being able to do it

The latter of the two is where practice - and difficulty for that matter - come in.

Addressing the topic as a whole, the few Mega Man games I've played (only Mega Man Xtreme 2 immediately comes to mind) were pretty hard. I don't think I ever even beat that one. Asides from just being stupid hard at some points, sometimes it just doesn't feel, well, intuitive. I think that is one marked difference from most Mario games.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I honest-to-god thought it was one of the easiest "classic" 8-bit games out there. I can't get to world 5 in any of the older Super Mario Bros. games, Legend of Zelda 1 and 2 is right out, but I beat Megaman 2 in some short timespan, maybe two-ish hours.

I'm nowhere near a pro at the game series either. I didn't beat it taking no damage, using nothing but the arm cannon, with the controller upside down, on camera to raise money for cancer. I just played it, found the jumping and shooting controls to be real solid, and went from there. It was fun.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
If you say no, you're probably lying to yourself or have only played some of the easier ones.

I think most of the Mega Man games are designed to be hard. Some of them aren't nearly as hard as others but those that are, are damned hard, requiring trial and error. I haven't played all of them but those that I have, most of the difficulty comes from stages more than the boss fights. Some of the stages are just silly and have traps that are impossible to see coming. There can be two ways off a screen, and one of them can be almost certain death.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
>Joined today/yesterday.
>One post.
>Only post about how all MM suck.

GG OP.
Not biting.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, MM kicks my ass, but I do enjoy playing the ones that have graphics like 7,8 and X. Plus Legends was cool. Never beat a normal one, got close in 8.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
*looks at poll results*
Phew, I thought it was just me.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
At the end of the day skill can only get you so far in a Megaman game. They have to be beaten with attrition and memorization. It's not enough to know the jump physics or shot timing. You have to know the whole level. This was the style of the era and the Megaman series never really grew out of it.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yeah it's hard. That's not a bad thing. It's what makes Megaman a great series. Separates more "oldschool" gamers from the current gen of gamers who didn't have to face the fairly brutal difficulty of the 8-bit era. I refer you to http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=280

It's one of the reasons some people have been waiting for the rise of games with some challenge. Like Dark Souls or any of the fairly unforgiving roguelikes out there today. Those of us who did defeat the robot masters and knock out Tyson... well, we kind of like it a little rough. There's nothing wrong with today's crop of mostly "everybody gets to win" games. They're actually better at delivering a complete story, because everyone gets to the end. But there's a different kind of satisfaction in beating a difficult game like Megaman.

Take Metal Gear for example. Metal Gear Solid was an awesome game that told a good story. Beating that game gave someone the satisfaction of seeing the story completed and gave them the anticipation for the next game when you got to the end credits scene. But almost everyone who played Metal Gear Solid beat the game and saw the story. I stuck with and beat Metal Gear... the original game. It feels like more of an accomplishment somehow.

So yes, Megaman is hard. And that is a good thing.

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
Dude, go look up some strategies to take down the bosses...Will change the way you view the game if you know you can win.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, they're hard.

I'll even go so far as to admit they kick my ass too, even though I'm an old school gamer. I'll play a little, get my ass handed to me and then I'll give up. Mostly because I no longer have the time or patience to practice, playing every level over and over, memorizing the layouts and item locations, learning all the boss pattenrs, and so on.

And you know what? That's fine.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I also don't enjoy them, or any game whose primary feature is controller-snapping difficulty. It's just not my cup of tea, though I will not begrudge or belittle anybody who does enjoy that. Hell I don't even like Mega Man in Smash, I couldn't figure out any moves that actually smash people and make them go flying.