Poll: I hate summer

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I hate summer.

You can't see your hand in front of your face because it's too bright, even when wearing sunglasses at the moment I'm squinting and looking down because the sun is too bright.

You can't sleep at night because it's too hot, last night I slept in just my pants on my bed and still woke covered in sweat. And you wake early because the sun comes up way too early and makes the room far too bright.

During the day you just can't be bothered to do anything because its too hot, the amount of wasted days in summer just because of the heat is extraordinary. Its far easier to make yourself warm in winter then it is to cool yourself down in summer.

Flies, bees and other winged insects are constantly flying around. If the last few summers are anything to go by I'm going to have to start putting fly strips down all over the place again. And you can't close the windows because its too hot already.

Hay-fever. That's pretty self explanatory, doesn't require explanation.

I just don't understand how anyone can look forward to summer.
The Stark's mean 'Winter Is Coming' as a warning, but I always see it as something to look forward to.

So does anyone else agree with me?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
George Carlin put it best: ". . .and in the summer - God help us - they all wanna wear short pants. Jesus, lord, protector of all that is holy, deliver me from fat people in short pants." That's the worst of all. The unrelenting heat from outside I can deal with. Sitting in what feels like wonton soup, I can deal with. The flies and wasps, the blinds can deal with. But the back fat, the ass cracks and the arm tats? Maaaaan, fuck that.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Barbas said:
George Carlin put it best: ". . .and in the summer - God help us - they all wanna wear short pants. Jesus, lord, protector of all that is holy, deliver me from fat people in short pants." That's the worst of all. The unrelenting heat from outside I can deal with. Sitting in what feels like wonton soup, I can deal with. The flies and wasps, the blinds can deal with. But the back fat, the ass cracks and the arm tats? Maaaaan, fuck that.
Forgot about the fat guys in shorts (as a fat guy myself you'll be pleased to know I refuse to ware shorts at any time).

Unfortunately for me fat guys in shorts is not a summer only thing here, I was doing an outside event back at the start of the year, just after we got snow, and me and the women next to me had to stop and stare at a man walking past in only a football shirt (that didn't entirely cover his belly) and shorts, his skin had turned blue and he's not the only guy to think he's hard because he goes out dressed like that in winter.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
I love summer (As long as i don't have to work hard - i remember working in a damn greenhouse tent, building the floor. Was like 50 degrees in there (Celsius), after like three hours work, drinking 3 liters of water, sweating like... well walking around just in shorts and still feeling like a fish... i quit that job that day, never was so tired in my whole life)

So - Summer has:
Sexy Ladies in either elegant dresses or tiny skirts, or swimsuits (totally not my fetish, hehe) (Check)
Warmth and relaxing atmosphere - sometimes refreshing winds and warm rain (check)
All people are slower, less problems less work (check)
Overall just a nice, warm feeling - relaxed muscles and beautiful moments in the evening (check)

Sounds nice. I like it - I HATE winter. Spring is ok, Autumn is second best, if it's not too cold already.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Summer, like weekends, are one of those child-hood joys that lose value when you don't go to school anymore.

I hate the heat. Id rather be a bit chilly than a bit warm, mostly cause I like bundling up. Going out in just a t-shirt makes me feel very exposed. I'd rather be wearing my over-sized hoodie. I also like snuggling in my blankets. I got a good AC though, so I still sleep in the cold.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I used to like the summer as a kid, back when it meant a break from school and lots of swimming. Now when I have to foot the A/C bills myself and work in an area with subpar ventilation...yeah, not so much. It's normal for temperatures to reach 35-42 degrees celsius around here this time of year, which is bad news indeed for my pasty, white European-descent ass.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Meh. It's slightly hotter and more traffic than usual.

Where I live, it's always summer.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Invest in some window nets. The air can get in but all the horrible insects can't.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
As a ginger, Summer hates me, so I kinda hate it back :p (Some day we'll learn to tan instead of just turn bright red).

Besides that, there's a ton of bugs, it makes you squint 80% of the time, and it's way harder to cool down as opposed to warm up imo. OH! Also machines also run hotter and just make any space hotter/more miserable.

So yeah, def all about those fall and winter seasons

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Hate it.

Not just the insects (which I have a phobia for) but my health also suffers from it. Makes it very easy for the bloodflow to be hampered, which leads to being dizzy alot, or in the worst case complete black outs.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm actively planning to move to the north coast of Russia.

Do with that what you will.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
No worries, dear child...my machine of eternal winter shall be complete soon. Once i harvest a few more unsuspecting souls and finally obtain the stolen "element" that is being held in classified, guarded locations ...everything will fall into place. Quite literally. [small] Is an evil laugh too cliche to perform by now? But how else will they know that i am evil? No...don't tell them about the orphans! I haven't left the country yet! Maybe a wry smile...yes! A sinister wry smile shall do the trick![/small]
*sinister wry smile*

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Bobular said:
I hate summer.

You can't see your hand in front of your face because it's too bright, even when wearing sunglasses at the moment I'm squinting and looking down because the sun is too bright.

You can't sleep at night because it's too hot, last night I slept in just my pants on my bed and still woke covered in sweat. And you wake early because the sun comes up way too early and makes the room far too bright.

During the day you just can't be bothered to do anything because its too hot, the amount of wasted days in summer just because of the heat is extraordinary. Its far easier to make yourself warm in winter then it is to cool yourself down in summer.

Flies, bees and other winged insects are constantly flying around. If the last few summers are anything to go by I'm going to have to start putting fly strips down all over the place again. And you can't close the windows because its too hot already.

Hay-fever. That's pretty self explanatory, doesn't require explanation.

I just don't understand how anyone can look forward to summer.
The Stark's mean 'Winter Is Coming' as a warning, but I always see it as something to look forward to.

So does anyone else agree with me?
Agreed on every count.

There are a few positives:

I like not having to take a coat everywhere.

I like that it stays light for longer, making commutes easier.

I like the bucolic explosion of glorious verdant wildlife.

I like what women wear this time of year.

But these positives don't outweigh the negatives. Give me a cool autumn any time.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I generally like summer just because my family are pretty outdoorsy people, so when they can get outside and do their thing they're happy, and that makes me happy.
It also means they're all out the house so I, as the opposite of an outdoorsy person, can enjoy being a shut-in in peace.

I don't really mind the heat and I'm lucky enough to not have hay fever, but the sun coming up at 4AM as a reminder I've just wasted an entire night playing videogames is one gripe I have with the season. I mean, games until 4AM is a waste year round, but at least it's easier to pretend you got to bed on time when it's winter and still dark.
And then there's the bugs. Man, the bugs. Flies constantly clonking their dumbass heads into windows, wasps and hornets to ruin your day out, mosquitoes to ruin your evenings out, they are just the worst.

Y'know, I really want to emphasise that, screw wasps. You're just mean, asshole bees and no one likes you, just go extinct already.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Absolutely loathe the summer.

It's hot, arid, brings back bugs, leads to friends dragging me out for "outdoors activities" where I pretty much always succeed to get sun-stroke. Fall and spring are the best months, and winter at least is enjoyable. But summer? Summer is a pain.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
How about this OP, I trade you our British cold winter weather for your hot summer!

Ok I admit I haven't been sleeping well cos the sun keep waking me around around 4-6 at the moment. However since this is the only time we actual get hot summer, I would rather have that anytime over the cold winter. I hate constantly feeling cold, getting lumps on my skin (cold exposal) and aswell seeking any heatsource for warmth!

Heck this is the only time I can just wear a t shirt and not have a jumper or shirt covering it up too!

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
The heat and humidity are the worst parts. It's not fun to walk around in 90-95F weather with almost constant 75% or more humidity. If you have a backpack with a laptop and two large books, that just makes things worse.

On the plus side, if the weather cooperates, it's very pleasant for sitting outside while eating. Pool and beach activities also pick up, and if my friends and I want to go fishing and swimming in the ocean, it generally occurs during summer.

Overall, I can't complain too much. I prefer fall and spring for being just a little more bearable, but I don't hate summer.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Dr. McD said:
ANTLIONS!
We had trouble with a nest of those flying things in the cracks between the paving stones in the backyard last year. I boiled a full kettle of water and poured it over them, then repeated. Dealt with them nicely.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I used to say that it's easier to get warmer in the winter than cool in the summer, but as an adult who drives a car I've changed my mind. The heat can be annoying as fuck, however it doesn't even come close to the pain of standing in the snow, in at least -10C, trying to scrape the ice from the windows of the car and no matter the time it's constant, complete darkness.

Fortunately as a Swede we got neither extreme winters nor summers. Last year I think we had the shittiest summer ever, while central-Europe broke a few heat records. I was actually down in Austria at the time and we had 36C at 9 pm. It was like walking out into a sauna, and I hadn't experienced such heat since I was around six years old and at a family vacation to Mallorca. It felt really good. This year we've already hit ~30C, so who knows what's coming.