Poll: I need something to write a documentary on. The crazier the better!

daydreamerdeluxe

Jun 26, 2009
I checked "something that doesn't exist", very much with the Historical Pre-enactment Society from Dresden Codak in mind. If you don't know what it is, it's exactly like any historical re-enactment society, except they do wars and events that haven't happened yet, such as the 2nd Moon War [http://dresdencodak.com/2008/01/07/machine-messiah/]. Either a mockumentary about a historical event that has never happened, or one about a HPS would be hilarious :)

Yopaz said:
One of these:
Raptors and you, how to survive for the longest time before you get eaten.

Raptor invasion and the threat this poses to you.

Raptor invasion and how likely this is to happen.

Can raptors fit into a human society? No They will eat your face.
Raptors, and how best to secure your house in case of an attack.

The psychology and physiology of the common or garden raptor.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
Hmh. Here's a dodgy one. How much the current population mankind would have to decrease to be able to sustain the rest of humanity.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
aprilmarie said:
I'm not voting in the poll but how about why people pay to get scared and then get pissed that you/someone else scared them?
...People do this? What are you talking about?

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
The Thinker said:
aprilmarie said:
I'm not voting in the poll but how about why people pay to get scared and then get pissed that you/someone else scared them?
yes they do. I work at an amusement park that has a halloween thing in which basically people pay to get scared. Well I had a few guys last night get pissed at me for scaring their girlfriends.....blows my mind. Oh and I should mention I'm dressed as a monster for a maze...... Oh and I had a few girls get pissed at me for doing my job too.... o_O

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
aprilmarie said:
The Thinker said:
aprilmarie said:
yes they do. I work at an amusement park that has a halloween thing in which basically people pay to get scared. Well I had a few guys last night get pissed at me for scaring their girlfriends.....blows my mind. Oh and I should mention I'm dressed as a monster for a maze...... Oh and I had a few girls get pissed at me for doing my job too.... o_O
Huh. That's weird. Maybe the documentary should be about the stupidity of people in general. It could be called I Have Lost Faith In Humanity, based off all of those threads here on The Escapist.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Jedamethis said:
Need to write a documentary on something for school. Teacher told me that she would be impressed if I could do it about a table leg or something and still make it interesting.
Sounds like a fun assignment:

The history of the chair leg could be fascinating. Foucault has written on the discourses on sexuality during the Victorian period and the covering of chair legs due to their apparent sexual connotations.

Or the history of a piece of furniture in relation to changes in modes of production in relation to either the rise of the notion of 'leisure for all' or the ramifications of virtual endless reproduction and our relation to commodities.

EDIT:

Bebus said:
The inanimate carbon rod.

All hail the rod!
All hail The Simpsons!

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
If you're still on the fence, let me ones again reiterate: do it on hats. It's a legitimately interesting subject. I'm sure you'll find some angle to work on and there's bound to be more than enough information to keep you going for a full length documentary. Hell, I'd watch a documentary on hats, sounds like rivetting stuff, with colorful imagery too.

Isaac The Grape

Apr 27, 2010
Jedamethis said:
Need to write a documentary on something for school. Teacher told me that she would be impressed if I could do it about a table leg or something and still make it interesting, but I'm struggling to find something ridiculous that I could make interesting/entertaining.
You guys have any ideas?
Firstly, out of Poetic, Expositary, Presentaive, Observitive, Reflexive, or Performative; what mode of documentory are you filming.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
The Thinker said:
Quazimofo said:
oh i know! talk about how the space shuttle engines were influenced in design by the asses of roman warhorses back in the old Roman empire era! i am not kidding, this is true, though by a little bit of a stretch.

if you want the longer version of the story, quote me. i think it would be interesting since a great many people wouldn't believe it, but when you spring the sources on them, you can go HA!
...I need to read the extended version.
sorry for the long delay, i do my homework on sundays. took a while.

well, it goes a little something like this. the people who designed the rockets for the space shuttle which were meant to get it into orbit, wished to make it a bit wider. however, the manufacturer had to ship it by rail through a mountain, so the width was decided by the width of the tunnel, which was slightly wider than the train tracks.

the train tracks were built about 5 feet 8 inches apart. an odd number right? well, thats because the original train tracks in the untied states were built by the same people who built them in england.

the people in england who built them that far apart did so because they also built the pre-train tram lines. this was done with the same tools which were used to create wagons on the old england road systems.

they built the wagons at such a width because thats how far apart the wheel ruts were in the old roads, which were built by the romans and well trodden by war chariots.

the war chariots were in turn built just wide enough to fit the asses of 2 war horses. so there you go, space shuttle engines' width decided by the size of a war horse's ass a couple millenia before

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
You can write a documentary about how scientists always make thunder appear after screaming SCIENCE!.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Quazimofo said:
Good sir, you have blown my mind with your awesome story. I baked you the biggest internet cookie ever, but it couldn't fit through the internet tubes, because they were also designed by the train people. So I ate it.

>.>

Kevak

Sep 8, 2010
I suggest the Satanic Pickles of Shangri-La, at night they come out and participate in blood orgies and slaughter small children.

Feb 13, 2008
What life would be like without the potato - Look that one up. It's fascinating.

Hint : Potato famine never exists, Sea warfare is limited, major foodstuffs eliminated.

Imagine fast food without the chip.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Isaac The Grape said:
Jedamethis said:
Need to write a documentary on something for school. Teacher told me that she would be impressed if I could do it about a table leg or something and still make it interesting, but I'm struggling to find something ridiculous that I could make interesting/entertaining.
You guys have any ideas?
Firstly, out of Poetic, Expositary, Presentaive, Observitive, Reflexive, or Performative; what mode of documentory are you filming.
No idea. I'll try anything.

Hats and bricks are jostling for the top idea spot at the moment...just because I'm lazy and would have to research other things. >.>

Stephanos132

Sep 7, 2009
Giving furniture some love here. Poor buggers put up with us for years on end before we throw them away.