Poll: I really liked Dante's inferno.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
rockyoumonkeys said:
AC10 said:
rockyoumonkeys said:
AC10 said:
I also think "God of War" ripoff is false to say, as god of war just ripped off Rygar: the legendary adventure.

But of course no one played Rygar so that means God of War inexplicably gets a free pass.
Difference is, God of War is way better than Rygar.

Besides, how many years were there between Rygar and GoW? A lot more than there were between GoW and Dante's Inferno. (And I'm not talking about that awful PS2 update of Rygar, which was pathetic.)
To answer your questions:

Rygar came out at the tail end of 2002, GoW came out March 2005. There were two years and 5 months in between GoW and Rygar: TLA.

Dante's Inferno came out Febuary 2010, thus leaving a 4 year and 11 month gap between Dante's Inferno and the first God of War.

What I don't get is that yes, God of War is a better game. Why does that matter? Everyone HATES everything which copies God of War for the seeming reasons of unoriginality, and yet when I point out GoW stole all of it's "original" ideas that doesn't matter for some reason.

I mean hell we can argue Rygar was just following in the shoes of DMC which basically started the whole "Stylized Slasher" business to begin with.

My argument here really is that if Dante's Inferno "copied" God of War; so what? God of War copied Rygar: TLA and everyone loves it, so I don't think Dante's Inferno should automatically lose points for unoriginality.
I already said I wasn't talking about that idiotic PS2 remake. When did the original Rygar come out? Mid 80's at the lastest?(Or was that before your time? Did you not even realize that the PS2 version was a remake?)

It matters that GoW was better than Rygar and DI wasn't better than GoW. If you can do something better, then by all means do it. If you can't, then what's the point?

Not to mention that I already said I don't really care that DI ripped off GoW. Fun is fun, whether it's original or not.

I'm just saying that, whether GoW ripped of Rygar or not, it certainly surpassed it, and made the gameplay style its own.
Firstly, Rygar: TLA was not a "remake" it was a sequel. The reason I compared GoW to Rygar: TLA and not Rygar from 1987 is because God of War has nothing to do with the original Rygar. I have no idea what you're even trying to argue with this point, besides that Rygar: TLA was not the first in the series, which is a well known fact. Besides it does not matter what YOU are talking about, you replied to me which is exactly what I was talking about and thus is what the discussion was about. Bringing in irrelevant facts bares no point.

Your second issue is more interesting. I agree, GoW is better than Rygar. I agree that GoW is better than DI. You, nowhere in this thread, said that you didn't care DI was a GoW ripoff. Infact your first post states:

rockyoumonkeys said:
It was fun, but I have no illusions that it's anything other than the most blatant God of War ripoff ever made.
However, I agree with you. Fun is fun, whether it's original or not. If you truly believe this, I don't know why you bothered replying to me as my first post was obviously not directed at people who think as such. I've seen reviews knock the game for similarities to GoW; this shouldn't be happening.

As for your "if you can do something better, by all means do it...". Well, this is a bit of a misnomer. If the team KNEW they couldn't be as good as GoW, I don't think they would have tried. This is like saying "if you're not sure you can't be the absolute best in a genre, you better just not even attempt it."

Making games is difficult and complicated, any team wanting to make a game like GoW is well within their rights to do so. Maybe they thought they could do better? I'm glad they tried regardless.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
AC10 said:
You, nowhere in this thread, said that you didn't care DI was a GoW ripoff. Infact your first post states:

rockyoumonkeys said:
It was fun, but I have no illusions that it's anything other than the most blatant God of War ripoff ever made.
Actually, I thought what you quoted was perfectly clear.

Fun, despite it being a ripoff. Obviously I didn't care that it was a ripoff if I still thought it was fun.

As for Rygar PS2 vs. Rygar Aracde/NES, I don't remember the storylines, but it seemed pretty clear that it was in at least some regard a sort of remake. Taking an 8-bit side/top scroller and turning it into a 3D action platformer. We can argue sequel/reboot/remake all we want, but my point was the same. Rygar PS2 wasn't all that revolutionary if you consider it from the standpoint that all it did was take what was already done in 2D and make it 3D.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
I've been meaning to try it, we are reading the book in school and according to a friend it's pretty accurate, so thats a green light for me.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
While I agree that Dante's Inferno was a blatant rip-off of GoW, we must remember that by the same token that GoW was a rip-off of Devil May Cry.

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
Hmmm.. while I'm pleased to see the majority agree it's either good or average, it does annoy me that it turned into yet another "Like gow, not gow, what was first, doesnt matter" thread. But, on the other hand, it's to be expected.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I've read the book around which it is loosely based. Loose like clown pants on an infant.

No, I didn't care for it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Somewhere between average and bad.

"Oh hey, this is just like God of War, except not as good. Hmm, speaking of which, I wish I was playing God of War right now instead of this blatant knock-off."

So yeah... I would have liked it better if I had never player God of War.

Oh yes, and the story and characters were garbage.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I thought it was pretty decent, it doesnt have much replay value, My game was also glitched i got the Platinum trophy at 82%.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Have to honestly say, not played God of War but have always been recommended it - just need to get round to getting it and trying it (I'm so slow! got too many games to finish)

But as for Dantes Inferno, I downloaded the demo on live and played it for a bit but the demo got stuck on a boss and whilst the first part was quite fun and button bashingly good, the bug of it stuck on this boss just put me off buying it. I know its a demo, but jeez, at least get the demo to a point where you can go "HAHA NOW BUY THE FULL GAME" instead of "well, i've been stuck on this screen for a good 15 minutes and none of the buttons are working, I would say this is screwed up"

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
Zhukov said:
Somewhere between average and bad.

"Oh hey, this is just like God of War, except not as good. Hmm, speaking of which, I wish I was playing God of War right now instead of this blatant knock-off."

So yeah... I would have liked it better if I had never player God of War.

Oh yes, and the story and characters were garbage.
But with that logic, wouldn't the games to chose from shrink rapidly? Hell, in my head I haven't played any turn-based JRPG good enough to rival FF7. Gears of war was much more fluid then Army of two, but I still liked them both playing with a friend. Wouldn't toss one out just because I liked one more. Pointless to rant through games in order, I'm sure you know where I'm getting at.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Aanorith said:
But with that logic, wouldn't the games to chose from shrink rapidly? Hell, in my head I haven't played any turn-based JRPG good enough to rival FF7. Gears of war was much more fluid then Army of two, but I still liked them both playing with a friend. Wouldn't toss one out just because I liked one more. Pointless to rant through games in order, I'm sure you know where I'm getting at.
My problem is that Dante's Inferno doesn't just share a genre with God of War. It's a direct and blatant knock-off. If you are going to rip off a popular product you should at least go to the effort of making your game as good as the one you are copying.

As it is, Dante's Inferno does nothing but remind me of another better game. Why should I play Dante's Inferno when I can play something else that is exactly the same but better in every way?

Take your example of FF7. Just say you came across another turn-based JRPG that was about a spiky-haired emo ex-mercenary and his big stereotypical black sidekick setting out to kill a bad guy with some serious mummy issues and a penchant for stabbing love interests. Except it was worse then FF7 in every way. Would you be inclined to like it?

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
Zhukov said:
Aanorith said:
My problem is that Dante's Inferno doesn't just share a genre with God of War. It's a direct and blatant knock-off. If you are going to rip off a popular product you should at least go to the effort of making your game as good as the one you are copying.

As it is, Dante's Inferno does nothing but remind me of another better game. Why should I play Dante's Inferno when I can play something else that is exactly the same but better in every way?

Take your example of FF7. Just say you came across another turn-based JRPG that was about a spiky-haired emo ex-mercenary and his big stereotypical black sidekick setting out to kill a bad guy with some serious mummy issues and a penchant for stabbing love interests. Except it was worse then FF7 in every way. Would you be inclined to like it?
I'd like to say not really, but as far as I know the whole gaming industry is pushing the same crap down our throats every year :p I just happen to like having this particular crap thrusted down I guess. ^^

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
I really liked it, much to my surprise. I never was a fan of the hack-n-slash genre (God of War got a painful 45 minutes of my life before I gave up on it), but Dante's Inferno really turned me around on that! I enjoyed it so much it's one of the very few games I Platinum'd because I overplayed it and had fun with it. Arguably, yes, it is short. You can complete it in 3 hours or so on the easiest difficulty, but I enjoy playing it on the hardest difficulty. The combat feels nice and not "sticky" (like God of War and a few others). Also, I did like the whole "find famous persons throughout history up to that point and decide if they should suffer forever or go to heaven"-part. I enjoyed the story a lot, and the combat is nice and smooth. Oh, and may I remind everyone that the first boss is freakin' DEATH?! AND that you whoop his ass, and cave in his face with his own scythe?! Badass from the start!

[sub]I had an epic grin on my face the first moment I saw this, and laughed heartily[/sub]

TLDR: It's fun and feels better to play than a lot of hack-n-slash games.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I liked the few hours I played a lot. Never finished it, though. Just had it from a rental. And it had the misfortune of being played right when I started played Dragon Age.

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I the few hours I played a lot. Never finished it, though. Just had it from a rental. And it had the misfortune of being played right when I started played Dragon Age.
Lol, well I can see clearly how you'd put Dante's to the side.