Poll: I wanna get a gamepad for my computer

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
(I think this is the right forum for this).

Anyways, I'm wanting to get a gamepad for my laptop, pretty much exclusively for older games (NES/Genesis era), and I figured where better to ask for input than the stupendawesome community here?

After some quick browsing, I've really spotted two styles: Playstation style and X-Box style. Honestly, I'm comfortable with either one, so I figured I'd throw a poll up to help with my utter inability to make a decision! =p

If you use a gamepad on your computer, which do you use, and why? How much did you pay for it? Got something other than the PS/Xbox style and like it better? Let me know!

EDIT: Fuck! I pressed enter before I could throw the poll up. :( Anyway I can throw the poll in after?

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
I used a 360 wired controller because it is made by windows, for the windows operating system, with windows games. So basically it is no hassle, and most games have pre-set configs for when you put your controller in. Very easy :) (Even though I don't like microsoft >.<)

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I tried to use my PS3 controller on my PC, and for some reason, any and all button pressing wasn't getting picked up. The controller was recognized by the computer, but that was all.

I ended up getting a wired 360 controller. Works a treat.

Not really too knowledgable on other PC gamepads. Sorry I'm not much help there.

Also side note, be careful about mentioning playing NES and Mega Drive and other emulated games on here. They're kinda anal about that sort of stuff here, not to mention presumptious as you could be buying games from gametap.

NikWearsPrada

Apr 5, 2010
I used a Wired 360 Controller. You just plug it in and it works like a chram. :) I have had no problems with it yet.

DarkMessiah

Dec 29, 2008
I just use my Xbox 360 controller. If a game/programme doesn't support the use of said controller, I use Xpadder to map the buttons.
I'm not entirely sure if Xpadder [http://xpadder.com/] is free anymore, I get the feeling that it isn't, but mapping controller buttons and axes is also doable with Autohotkey [www.autohotkey.com], and I think Pinnacle Game Profiler [http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/], but I have no experience using that.

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
TelHybrid said:
I tried to use my PS3 controller on my PC, and for some reason, any and all button pressing wasn't getting picked up. The controller was recognized by the computer, but that was all.

I ended up getting a wired 360 controller. Works a treat.

Not really too knowledgable on other PC gamepads. Sorry I'm not much help there.

Also side note, be careful about mentioning playing NES and Mega Drive and other emulated games on here. They're kinda anal about that sort of stuff here, not to mention presumptious as you could be buying games from gametap.
There are no official PS3 controller drivers, which explains your troubles. You need to install some: http://www.motioninjoy.com/
I use a PS3 controller, and if works great. The 360 emulation option is especially useful for GFWL games. I also use Xpadder to configure the gamepad for games that don't support it.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
An off-rand PS3 wired controller works great for me. I got it for $20 at GameStop and my only complaint is the OBNOXIOUS light that can't be turned off (I got a green and a blue one), at least it works as a flashlight if the power goes out and your laptop is on battery power.
Twas just plug and play without any hassle.

Though mapping buttons for a Genesis is a bit tricky, at least when trying to map for a 6 button one.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I much prefer the PS3 controller because I grew up playing on Playstations, so I just got a USB adapater and use my PS2 controller.

Cost me about £4 and works perfectly.

Tommy T.

Nov 9, 2009
The 360 controller is much better than PS3 one IMO. I have wireless 360 pad and it's marvelous.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I use a 360 pad on PC but it sounds like a USB Saturn pad might be more like what you want. The dpad on the 360 controller is not so good.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
I use a 360 pad on PC but it sounds like a USB Saturn pad might be more like what you want. The dpad on the 360 controller is not so good.
Can you still get those even? -runs off to google-
EDIT
Oh wow those things are hideous. o_o

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Koeryn said:
More Fun To Compute said:
Can you still get those even? -runs off to google-
EDIT
Oh wow those things are hideous. o_o
Might be a bit hard to find but you don't hear many people complaining about the dpad. You might find it easier to find USB adapters for the SNES and Megadrive controllers.

A USB arcade stick might be also be an idea but not sure if you would want something like that to go with your laptop.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I am also interested in buying a gamepad. Mainly because Island tracks in TrackMania is really rather tricky on the keyboard. Seems the general consensus is "wired 360 pad".

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
Delusibeta said:
I am also interested in buying a gamepad. Mainly because Island tracks in TrackMania is really rather tricky on the keyboard. Seems the general consensus is "wired 360 pad".
Yeah, I'm getting the same impression.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Wired Xbox 360 controller is nice and can go cheap + has the added benefit that Games For Windows titles will automatically recognise it and auto-configure (can still re-map controls).

Though the Xbox 360 gamepad is good for 2005, you can do a lot better and ideally you want a wired gamepad that PRETENDS to be an Xbox 360 wired gamepad but has other better features too.

For example, the 360's triggers are not all that great, too narrow and springy. The face buttons are also just a bit too soft and squidgy when they should be snappy and clicky. Oh and don't even get me started on the diabolical D-pad... it is barely a D-pad. If you know the design you'll know how hard it is to quickly put in a definitive input without a *right* being interpreted as an *up*.

If you can get an PS3 style controller to work, then go for that. Convex triggers are solved by the concave snap-ups. They actually make them way better than the 360 as there is a longer fulcrum range and wider pad for the finest trigger control that many games require.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
Treblaine said:
Wired Xbox 360 controller is nice and can go cheap + has the added benefit that Games For Windows titles will automatically recognise it and auto-configure (can still re-map controls).

Though the Xbox 360 gamepad is good for 2005, you can do a lot better and ideally you want a wired gamepad that PRETENDS to be an Xbox 360 wired gamepad but has other better features too.

For example, the 360's triggers are not all that great, too narrow and springy. The face buttons are also just a bit too soft and squidgy when they should be snappy and clicky. Oh and don't even get me started on the diabolical D-pad... it is barely a D-pad. If you know the design you'll know how hard it is to quickly put in a definitive input without a *right* being interpreted as an *up*.

If you can get an PS3 style controller to work, then go for that. Convex triggers are solved by the concave snap-ups. They actually make them way better than the 360 as there is a longer fulcrum range and wider pad for the finest trigger control that many games require.
Now that's quite informative! Thanks!