Poll: I want to get out of my comfort zone

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
So escapists, which one of these games would you suggest from your own personal experience.

Uncharted 2: among thieves (ps3)
Halo (xbox 360)
Mafia 2 (ps3)
Fallout (xbox 360)

And anything else.
I really like RPG's but one thing you should know is don't suggest a first person shooter. Ever since I got time splitters as a kid I have hated first person. I know, I know it's an atrocity to hate that game but you know when you are a child and you really hate something then when you grow up you still hate it even though you forgot the original reason in the first place? Yeah that's how I feel about first person and why I can only kill someone once or twice in a blue moon on black ops.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I think you're actually meaning Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas with Fallout. And as far as I know, there are a bunch of Halo's as well.

I'd recommend Fallout, whichever you're meaning.

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
benzooka said:
I think you're actually meaning Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas with Fallout. And as far as I know, there are a bunch of Halo's as well.

I'd recommend Fallout, whichever you're meaning.
I'm not sure what the difference is. Well obviously I know they're different storylines but I don't know which ones better or if I'd have to play both of them to get the meaning of the over all story.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Fallout 3 will take you on a fantastic journey across the wasteland, it will consume many hundreds of hours of your life and yet no time will be spent in repetition or grinding.
Fallout 3 is probably one of my top 5 games ever.

Edit: Oh and its fun, really fun. Watch the trailer for reference as to how action packed and fun it is.

Meneghetti

Feb 10, 2011
But Fallout is FPS too (I know, 3rd person view is available, but it SUX), and, imo, have loooots of boring dialogs and boring missions... but again, that's only my humble opinion.

oh, and I would recommend Mafia II, it's the most fun to play from the options.

Jawz 014

Aug 18, 2010
Any of the Fallouts if your not playing online but for online and offline I would take Halo.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
If you're going to play Fallout on 360, Fallout 3 is definitely the better choice. It's about as good as New Vegas, but it has more DLC and has been patched better. New Vegas is still glitchy and has only had one DLC.

Plus there's the fact that Fallout 3 would cost $20, or $40 for GotY, while New Vegas is still in the $50 range.

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
As others have said, Fallout 3 (or New Vegas) will probably be the best gateway. It's still a roleplaying game, but with FPS mechanics too.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Fallout 3. If you don't enjoy shooters, then Uncharted 2 isn't for you, and neither is Mafia or Halo (Definitely not Halo).

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
IamQ said:
Fallout 3. If you don't enjoy shooters, then Uncharted 2 isn't for you, and neither is Mafia or Halo (Definitely not Halo).
I like shooters and action based games. Just don't like everything from a first person angle. Really throws me off, sadly.

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
Maddyfiren said:
Isla said:
don't suggest a first person shooter
You know you just put one on your list right.

Also, Fallout 3.
Yeah halo. But everyone goes on and on and on and on and on (you get the idea) about it, so it's the only FPS I might give a shot.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Try Portal if you haven't already. It will introduce you to the basic feel of FPS's without literally shooting at you. Once the sense of disorientation and motion sickness dies down, you could probably jump into any FPS and not have much of a problem.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Isla said:
Maddyfiren said:
Isla said:
don't suggest a first person shooter
You know you just put one on your list right.

Also, Fallout 3.
Yeah halo. But everyone goes on and on and on and on and on (you get the idea) about it, so it's the only FPS I might give a shot.
Well, then I suggest you try Uncharted 2. Halo is a first person shooter, so you won't like it most likley. I haven't played Mafia 2, but it's supposed to be decent. Though, don't let the free-world fool you. Apparently there are no side quests outside of the main story.

Also, while Fallout 3 is in the first person perspective, it's not really a shooter.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Fallout is great and all but I would say Uncharted. You might like the Prince of Persia-esque style and it's more of an action shooter, something that is a breath of fresh air from the stale FPS games out there (then again, I devote a lot of time to TF2...)

Veldaroth

Jul 21, 2009
Yeah, as someone who also hates fps games, I'd recommend Fallout. I have horrible aim and found Fallout the easiest to get the hang of. Also, it has an interesting world and plot and is the closest to an rpg out of all the ones you listed.

Uncharted 2 is definitely not an open world game. You have a single path and if you try to be creative and go a different rout, you will fall to your death. Also, you spend most of your time pinned down trying to kill the enemies before they kill you. No RPG elements that I could see.
Halo is a shooter. I didn't think it was fun, but I didn't play it long enough to figure out what the plot was.
I've never played Mafia, so I can't say anything about that.

Sep 14, 2009
well based on your first person phobia (which i semi share, i've gotten over it) i would recommend uncharted 2 in a heartbeat, its a fun adventure/TPS shooter that you can easily pick up and drop whenever.

also the third person camera in fallout new vegas isn't too bad, so if your really deadset on an rpg try that perhaps?