Poll: Idea for a new Xbox DLC purchase system.

sniper9474

Sep 3, 2008
I have been thinking about the current Xbox Live DLC system. Currently you have to buy MSPs first in either 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 or 6000 off of either the Xbox Live website or console, or by a Scratch card, which i don't have the full numbers for, but i believe are 400, 1000, 16000, 2000. After buying the points THEN you can spend your points to get the DLC you want. Currently i have found that most major DLC cost 400, 600, 1200 or for major games 1600 for large items. Unless you worked out what you need and bought the right amounts, if you can buy the exact figure, this leaves you with MSPs left in your account. Another problem is that for some people, they don't want/cant due to age to use there credit card in order to purchase MSPs from Xbox Live or websites, and would rather use cash for it.
I suggest that certain major game stores, such as GAME, GameStop, Gamestation etc should be able to sell download codes for the DLC you want for the cost of the DLC converted, and you would be able to pay the exact amount and download it at a later date, leaving you without spare points on your account.
If people have any criticisms or suggestions for this, please let post them.

sniper9474

Sep 3, 2008
OK, i should have put all Marketplace items to be fair, and it would stay as it is, but have this introduced aswell.

Malaclemys

Sep 6, 2011
Lucien Pyrus said:
Marketplace is used for more than dlc
What he said.

You have 2000MSP and you use 1600 of them for a DLC. You're left with 400, which you're going to spend on stuff, so it's a winner situation for Microsoft.

Entrail

Apr 18, 2008
Funny thing is, Microsoft have kinda already done this.

Was in a local GAME store near where I work last week. And I found MS Points cards on display, as per usual. But, the thing was, these points cards were advertising certain DLC packs, and the appropriate number of MS Points needed to to purchase them. So, for say £5, you could buy the Halo Reach Map pack DLC card from the store, put the code into your XBL account and then buy the map pack using the correct amount of points.

That is, unless, something shiny on the market place grabs your attention first.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Those codes are always a problem, nearly every month someone looses MSP codes and there is a huge blowout over it, now extend that over individual games and it will get alot worse.

The other thing is MS takes a cut from every purchase, they would have a hard time keeping track on that if you put money elsewhere.

And the last one is MSP amount, it is purposefully designed for you to have surplus so you will be compelled to buy more things and keep sinking in money.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
They've been criticised before for the fact that points bundles rarely correspond to DLC costs. If I've got a few hundred points spare I'll go see what's cheap on the arcade or the IG. Got some brilliant cheap games that I'd have never looked at otherwise.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
But the weird-numbering is the whole POINT of M$Ps. If millions of people buy $1.20 more than they need and 5% of those people never use the rest on anything, that's a shitload of cash for M$.