Poll: Idea for Spy Update in TF2

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I had a thought today, what if the Spies in TF2 could be used to counter enemy spies? Idea is this: unlockable upgrade for Spy which would allow you to exchange your disguise kit for some glasses or something which would allow you to see through other spies disguises and cloaks. Just to give players the option of changing its role from spy to counter-spy, allowing them to warn teammates of potential threats and getting rid of the frustration of having a single spy wipe out half your team. What do you think?

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
A kind of Spy Vision... I like it. It'd definitely come in handy.

I'd like to see something less defensive minded in the update too, though. Something like the ability to maintain your disguise after stabbing.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Interesting idea, although that would make spies even more useless than they are now.

I mean, with everybody absolutely paranoid of spies nowadays and not breathing without screaming for "MAOR SPY-CHECK", it's a rough period for spies.

I vote nay on this one.

Spleeni

Jul 5, 2008
I'm afraid I'm going to have to contest this idea. If spies were to lose one of their primary abilities to have a slight advantage over other spies, no one would ever use your glasses. If you're going to have a trade off, then at least give them an advantage combat-wise.

Instead, if you're thinking about counter-spying, why not give the medic something to help their buddy, the heavy, from getting shanked?

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
TF2 has always been a game where different classes have different roles. The Pyro is for countering enemy spies, and not the spy.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Hmmm... I'd say instead of just anti-spy vision, it shows silhouettes of other players behind walls up to a certain distance. It'd make it much easier to ambush people.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Its a unique idea, but it would just render spies completely useless! You could just have a guy monitoring at all times.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
I was thinking of something like this, expect in the form of a class called the "Detective". His specials were a Magnifying Glass (Detect fake teammates) and a trapping net.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
I sincerely hope the only update they give to the Spy is a mandatory bucket of crap placed on his head. You can't get rid of it, it drains your health, renders you permanently visible, and enables other players to 'smell' you before they see you.

I hate Spies.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Sees through all disguises? Overpowered, much? If it was some sort of temporary spy-detector that beeps when one's nearby, replacing the pistol perhaps...

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
The spy needs to take a leaf out of the WoW Rogues book and get some kind of teleport device. I know I have fun appearing behind the enemy for shankage in WoW, I can only imagine the fun in TF2. Make it break stealth, make it a targeted or radom teleport to restrict it's usefulness, but right now i', seeing the Spies problem as mobility.

That, or a device that renders them untouchable for a second or so, to escape a spy check or get out of an unholy line of fire. A copy of the WoW rogues cloak of shadows, if you will (although that's really pre-vanish immunity).

zacaron

Apr 7, 2008
Space Spoons said:
A kind of Spy Vision... I like it. It'd definitely come in handy.

I'd like to see something less defensive minded in the update too, though. Something like the ability to maintain your disguise after stabbing.
I think thats what there doing actually change your knife for a garrot to strangle them it takes a couple seconds but doesent break disguise