Poll: If Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor had a baby

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
And there was a game with breadth and (arguable) depth Skyrim had, and an intelligent, quasi-procedural AI system and ridiculously awesome combat system like Shadow of Mordor's...what would you do?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sooo... basically Shadow of Mordor, but with worse combat, worse movement mechanics, a crappy economy, lots of pointless inventory shuffling and a big map covered in samey dungeons?

But with character customization and more visual variety in enemies?

Eh, I'd pass.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Zhukov said:
Sooo... basically Shadow of Mordor, but with worse combat, worse movement mechanics, a crappy economy, lots of pointless inventory shuffling and a big map covered in samey dungeons?

Eh, I'd pass.
Uh no....Skyrim with better movement mechanics, combat and AI.

From Skyrim:

Character Customization
Large Open World
Big Ass Story Arcs
Armor and weapon options

From Shadow of Mordor:
Combat pace, animation, fluidity and just about everything about combat.
AI generation, AI combat capability
Movement mechanics and physics environment.

I mean you basically picked all the bad parts of Skyrim and lumped them together with the few bad parts of Shadow of Mordor.

What I'm saying is take the good parts from both and I'd likely need an IV drip to survive.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Pr0 said:
Zhukov said:

Eh, I'd pass.
Uh no....Skyrim with better movement mechanics, combat and AI.

From Skyrim:

Character Customization
Large Open World
Big Ass Story Arcs
Armor and weapon options

From Shadow of Mordor:

I mean you basically picked all the bad parts of Skyrim and lumped them together with the few bad parts of Shadow of Mordor.

What I'm saying is take the good parts from both and I'd likely need an IV drip to survive.
I'm sorry, that was needlessly negative and grumpy of me.

I would indeed enjoy playing SoM with character customization. Being able to play as someone other than Grumpybeard McVengeance? Yes please.

I'd pass on the big map though. One of the things I liked about SoM was having an open map that was small enough that I didn't feel like I was bloody commuting to the next mission.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Pr0 said:
From Skyrim:

Character Customization
Large Open World
Big Ass Story Arcs
Armor and weapon options

From Shadow of Mordor:
Still sounds like a bad game. Character customization in Skyrim was extremely limited, story was pretty bad and done in a rush, weapons and armor weren't that diverse (3 onehanded, 3 twohanded weapons and 1 armor set for every material they're made of). Shadow of Mordor had terrible combat (not as bad as Skyrim, but still terrible) and movement was basically automatic - the game did stuff like climbing, hiding etc. for you. As for AI combat capability i think it's mostly the same in both games - enemies dumb as a rock that attack you in groups and rely on numbers. So, yeah, don't expect a good game when combining two bad/mediocre games

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
If Shadow of Mordor and Skyrim had a baby then it would glitch out and start stretching in different directions before flying off into the sky....

Not sure about how well it would work but I would enjoy a Shadow of Mordor with more customization options. The story wasn't that big a deal so it would be nice to just free roam in a fantasy world with the nemesis system using whatever character I can make.

Having more variety and options in combat would be cool too but i'd mainly just want shadow of mordor with character customization. A silent character that the player makes themselves would be more interesting than Talion anyway.

Nemusus

Jun 10, 2013
Pr0 said:
From Skyrim:

Character Customization
Large Open World
Big Ass Story Arcs
Armor and weapon options

From Shadow of Mordor:
Skyrim didn't really have big story arcs, just story arcs that were spread all over the place. Once you'd been around a bit and could quick travel, most of the plots could be knocked over pretty quickly. Haven't played Shadow of Mordor yet so I can't comment on its open world, but the random encounters in Skyrim were what kept me on the hook. That and the mods. Bring those into any game and it'd be a huge boost.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Yes please. My assassin with fashionable clothing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grumpy Mordor McFuckface A. No custom character = $30 buy.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I could certainly support applying the Nemesis system to the Stormcloaks, and possibly the Empire. I guess the Empire would require less openly savage means of promotion, like planting incriminating evidence in a high-ranking officer's room, or publicly denouncing him at an event, or at worst, planning an assassination.

Anyway, I was always turned off by the fact that my accomplishments barely had any effect on the world around me, so a Nemeis system would be a breath of fresh air.

It would be pretty neat if there were multiple possible endings that depended on who was in a seat of power and what desires the majority of the lower-ranking officer had for SKyrim (or whatever part of Tamriel this would take place in).

Anyway, I think that properly used, the Nemesis system could create a game with a better story than Skyrim or Shadow of Morodor.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
sageoftruth said:
I could certainly support applying the Nemesis system to the Stormcloaks, and possibly the Empire. I guess the Empire would require less openly savage means of promotion, like planting incriminating evidence in a high-ranking officer's room, or publicly denouncing him at an event, or at worst, planning an assassination.

Anyway, I was always turned off by the fact that my accomplishments barely had any effect on the world around me, so a Nemeis system would be a breath of fresh air.

It would be pretty neat if there were multiple possible endings that depended on who was in a seat of power and what desires the majority of the lower-ranking officer had for SKyrim (or whatever part of Tamriel this would take place in).

Anyway, I think that properly used, the Nemesis system could create a game with a better story than Skyrim or Shadow of Morodor.
I agree on the Nemesis system, its quite good, also the relatively unique processing generation that turns relatively stock Uruks and Orcs into characters with somewhat unique personalities is also good, also the way the game generates AI strengths and weaknesses dynamically is also quite good. Had Skyrim done something like this with the Civil War back story it would have been about 10000 times more amazing than it is stock or modded.

Overall had Shadow of Mordor even had the same level of character creation support as say...Mass Effect did, at least allowing for gender/facial design to allow us to make our rangers a bit more personal...it would have been a better game. But I also feel that the SoM world feels a bit small and lacks immersion elements in the long term which Skyrim largely has stock as long as you avoid the fast travel/wait functions and has in mods in spades.

Overall I just wish Skyrim could even do combat and AI like SoM....I'd never come up for air if that was the case.

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
It would suck.

Shadow of Mordor was designed and optimized for a certain kind of play, Skyrim was designed and optimized for another. Trying to mix them together is mixing design agendas and would end up with a game that just does both things poorly.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Biased, the poll is biased. I think I'll go and play Call of Booty despite never had played or even brought a Call of Booty game since very early 2000s.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Shadow of Mordor is Batman + Ass Creed (with arms wide open) + Tolkien

Skyrim is... it's sorta of an FPS but not really and I have never gone beyond Tamriel :(

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Pr0 said:
Big Ass Story Arcs
Are we playing the same Skyrim? I enjoyed the game but the storyline was short as shit. Plus the basic 2 main plotlines (Without DLC) which to me felt like it was being padded out.

I haven't played Shadow of Mordor, but it looks like an amazing game. I'm thinking of putting a little money aside to get it at christmas. Some sort of mix would be cool though I guess.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Replace Skyrim with Morrowind, and we might talk. Skyrim may be mechanically superior but everything else is dumbed down.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Auberon said:
Replace Skyrim with Morrowind, and we might talk. Skyrim may be mechanically superior but everything else is dumbed down.
Listen to him. This guy knows stuff.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Its super easy to look back on Morrowind as functionally superior to Skyrim but in all fairness I've built mods on all three major engine revisions they used to build Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

Vivec, Sotha Sil and Amalexia were no more deep as characters, for their time and their technology than Ulfric Stormcloak or General Tullius is in Skyrim. The story arc of the Nerevarine is no more deep and complex than the story arc of the Champion of the Empire or the Dragonborn.

The general NPC's in Morrowind are even less deep than their Oblivion and Skyrim counterparts, the engine tech at the time being relatively limited (though pushing the tech boundries of the era it was released in heavily) being what they were, the stock Morrowind install basically had the same imperial guard everywhere, same face, same armor, same everything.

Whats more take Bethesda's original and rather laughable idea of what a 3D body mesh should look like...

...and I fail to see where Morrowind is superior to Skyrim really in any way, in all fairness, all three games are roughly the same quality, the only difference is their mechanical superiority in each advancing iteration.

All three of the games benefited heavily from the modding community and to be fair none of them would be even half as playable as they eventually became without the efforts of the TES modding community over the years.

Calling any of them functionally better as a game than the other is to ignore the fact that they're pretty much the same games just with better tech on each evolution and new story added.

If Morrowind is functionally a better game, show me a Skyrim completion in three minutes and fourteen seconds.

Morrowind Speed Run in 3:14 [http://youtu.be/gON5k2kw3as] <---video

Cause that can't happen in Skyrim.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'd say finally. The AI in Mordor is the sort of new innovation I was expecting when the 360 and PS3 were announced with multicore processors. You have multiple CPU's, so make them do more stuff in the background to create more interesting & dynamic gameplay already!

StoleitfromKilgore

Jul 4, 2014
I don't get it. Did nobody ever hear of the STALKER-series?!? Granted, its A-Life system is rather different from what people might be used to from SoM, but it's still more or less what people have been so enthusiastic about the last few weeks. While the A-Life is rather confined in comparison to what was promised, a lot of what is going on on the maps still has nothing to do with the player.