Poll: If the XBone didn't have any form of DRM...would you buy one?

TheHomelessHero

Apr 11, 2013
Let's say (theoretically, as the following is rather unlikely to actually happen) Microsoft announces to revoke any DRM from the console itself in an attempt to bring back customers after the backlash on the internet. Would you buy it?

As for me, honestly, I would (when the price goes down, $500 is kinda pricy). With plenty of decent exclusives coming out and the rather interesting stat tracking system (I can't help it, I love number!), it would be rather cool piece of technology to have. The auxiliary tv features are also a plus for me.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Not until it had a handful of interesting games on it.

I haven't been following the news all that closely, but none of the exclusives announced thus far have really piqued my interest.

More Halo. Whoop-de-doo.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
The games look good, but it's the price that puts me off the whole thing. In fact, I actually like the idea of DRM. If my games update on their own, that saves them doing it when I want to play.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
eventually. Once a game came out that I *needed* to play. So far there's not much for me that even picques my interest, but as it stands now, I wont be buying one at all.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Zhukov said:
More Halo. Whoop-de-doo.
Hey, take that back! They also have a new version of Minecraft for Xbox One, too.

...yeah, not particularly appealing. I don't even know what's new in it - probably Notch just removed the upper limit for RAM usage or something.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Probably not. It's still more expensive and less powerful. And Sony has better exclusives. I just don't give a shit about Halo and Gears of War. And even though I don't swear allegiance to any company, I had always preferred PlayStation. Those guys just get it. They understand that the company should bend to the market not the other way around.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Tom_green_day said:
The games look good, but it's the price that puts me off the whole thing. In fact, I actually like the idea of DRM. If my games update on their own, that saves them doing it when I want to play.
The ps3 already does this. You can set it to automatically turn on sometime in the evening (between 4-6am is default) and download and install updates :/

On topic, no because I despise Microsoft and they would have done something to fuck the console up eventually. Its already obvious that they see publishers as their main customers. And installing the entire game onto the hard dive is a complete waste of memory

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Both the price and that stupid, mandatory kinect both turn me off.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Nope it's $100 more and to me Sony have a much more interesting track record on exclusives than Microsoft. Outside of third-party exclusives which tend to fall apart after the first game (because the install base after launch for a console is too large for Microsoft to be able to pay enough to compensate), the only game they showed that I was interested in was Spark, which I can get for the PC and may even be better on a PC, being a creative game, and Quantum Break. But if I had to choose between the makers of Heavy Rain and the makes of Alan Wake, I know which one was the better game of the two and it wasn't Alan Wake.

Wake had a good concept and atmosphere but the gameplay was awful, the pacing bad, relied too heavily on the codex and told it's story in the wrong order (the twist of a plot should never be that the protagonist actually has motivation. I've no idea why they structured it like that). Heavy Rain has it flaws too, but they were less egregious overall.

If I liked shooters I guess Microsoft might have enough exclusives to make up that $100, but the truth is, there will always be more good games than I can play, so a platform have one or two more good games than another doesn't really make much of a difference to my overall enjoyment. They have to be the only games of it's kind that do what they do, or the very best in what they do. Heavy Rain was that, Valkyria Chronicles was that, Uncharted was that, inFamous was and The Last of Us sounds like it will be. Halo did it but after that... CoD is the best shooter, or Battlefield.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
For me, the dealbreaker was never about the DRM, it was about the mandatory Kinect. I refuse to let that THING into my house. So no, even if they got rid of the DRM there'd still be that unblinking, unwavering stare coming from that little bastard.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
No, I'm still not paying $100+ for a Kinect I don't want and will never use.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
You're assuming a lot. I doubt Microsoft will have much to worry about. The CoD crowd will most likely buy the console en masse. Early access DLC kept them playing the games on the 360, and it'll probably get them to buy an X1. And even if they don't, I wouldn't put too much stock in net rage. I've seen too many "boycotts" that resulted in proving that gamers are a toothless beast.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Why get an XBone when I have a PC that can still play the same non-exclusive games at similar or better performance in a control format I'm comfortable with and prefer?

I haven't gotten a 360 and haven't touched my PS3 in months.

[sub]Not arrogant, just superior.[/sub]

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Why get an XBone when I have a PC that can still play the same non-exclusive games at similar or better performance in a control format I'm comfortable with and prefer?

I'd like to know the black rights necessary to summon a PC for $500 that can push the kind of graphical fidelity of an Xbone.

RogueportJack

Jun 13, 2013
The only thing that could get me to purchase an Xbone, regardless of DRM, is if they made a proper Banjo-Threeie. I'm actually quite relieved they announced Killer Instinct and Kinect Sports so I don't have to buy one.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Add backwards compatibility and optional kinect to it and yes, most likely.
Definitely not day 1 though.

Sir Razorback

Jun 13, 2013
For me, the attack on ownership is the big deal. Internet connection I'd be personally OK with, and there's nothing with the kinect that can't be solved with a towel draped over the thing. :p If they made it open-trading like normal, I'd get one after the price comes down. $400 is my absolute upper limit for a console.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Lucky Godzilla said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:

I'd like to know the black rights necessary to summon a PC for $500 that can push the kind of graphical fidelity of an Xbone.
If you already have a gaming PC you'll either be fine going into next-gen or an upgrade would be cheaper than one of the consoles. Unless you're one o' dem guys still rocking hardware from 2006/7, that is. I'm looking at maybe upgrading my graphics card from a GTX 550Ti to a GTX 670 in the coming months, which would cost me £230 vs the Xbone's £429.

My 550Ti has less power than the Xbone but, according to Steam, it's one of the more widely used cards so I'm guessing I'll still be within "minimum requirements" for a couple of years. I'm OK with playing with worse graphical quality and resolutions for a while; most of my favourite games of the last few years haven't been AAA anyway (and the few exceptions haven't tended to be graphically intense).

OT: No. The exclusives don't interest me, but Sony's do. Sony have more first and second party developers, too, many of which consistently make games I like. Add to that, that the PS4 is nearly £100 cheaper and well...