Poll: If you had the choice to be a vampire....

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Depends on the type of vampire, and how my personality would change.

But it would be very important to know a bit about the vampire/supernatural community. Would I be allowed to live my life on my own terms, or would I be roped into some political BS with vampire clans and whatnot?

Because if the latter, no thanks.

In a lot of vampire stories they have their own political intrique going on, and with my people-skills and the lack of social grace and ability to tolerate bullshit (in other words, politics), I'd got into a lot of trouble.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Provided that we're talking intelligent vampire as opposed to eastern European mindless bloodlust zombies (which we are, according to thread rules), I'll take it. I can sacrifice daylight for immortality, sure!

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Eh, I'm not that big on killing people for blood, and marching band does tend to require me standing in the sun in summer for hours on end.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
I prefer the stories where sunlight just takes away a portion of their power. Like Stoker's novel.
That would make living a more normal life a lot easier. You could blend in with normal people, just without being able to use super abilities. I think it was in Blade that the vampires had invented some kind of sunblock that let them be in direct sunlight for a decent amount of time without dying.

It would be a tough choice. Knowing that I'd outlive everyone, unless I start hanging out with other vampires, would kind of suck. There are a lot of pros though, which is what makes it a tough choice.

Also, question: having never read any serious vampire literature (like Stoker's novel), how do vampires turn people? I've heard a lot of conflicting statements from various movies. A lot of them mention vampires "draining people dry" which simply kills them, when I thought that getting bitten by a vampire period turned you into one. In the latter case, that would probably mean that vampires would "reproduce" rather quickly.

the rye

Jun 26, 2010
Hell no everyone knows zombies is where its at.
Think about it, as a zombie your part of a community that works together, you get things done at a slow easy going pace, your only concern in life is brains, in the zombie community there's no hate, or prejudice, there's no war or fighting.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Jonluw said:
Being immortal sounds like it sucks big time, so no.
Vampires are only immortal by 'natural' life length. If you get sick of it, you could just take a noon stroll or do pushups until you're exhausted over a stake.

OT: True Blood rules? Goddamn it, I wish I could say I need you to define them, but I actually saw an episode last week or so, so think I know roughly what you mean x.x

But anyway, no. Sun damage is a pain in the arse, being able to come in only when invited sucks too. And immortality's no good considering how easily you can be killed or dismembered, there's good enough chance for a random human to die before the end of his natural life, let alone someone who couldn't open his curtains during the day and whom people'd have reason to hunt down.

Now if we're talking TES vampire rules, that'd be something to consider...

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I practically act like a vampire anyway so I don't think I would notice much difference.
I'm even anaemic so I can go get a top up whenever I want...

I'm very contrary though so if some vampire guy was like bwahahaha I will make you vampire. I would probably... strongly disagree.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
No; daylight is precious to me; that said I live in Scotland, so conceivably I'd only miss about four hours of daytime every day.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Maybe, right now i wouldn't want it but perhaps as age does its thing id be more inclined to.
looked quickly at the True-blood rules and they seem decent enough aint no hellsing but better then twillight.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
No because the only things open at night are bars, clubs and grocery stores and all those things are boring.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Can't. It's something of a conflict of interest for a vampire hunter to willingly become a vampire ("Blade Clause" does not apply here; he did not choose).

That and I don't want some muscled man in a fancy coat chasing me around with a whip.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, probably. I mean, I'm already nocturnal, and there's always one scumbag or two I could feed on. I don't have to bother innocent people, if I feel like remaining defensible on moral grounds.

As for living forever? I'm already going to outlive my parents as it is, and living forever would likely make me appreciate mortal life even more than I already do. Those twenty-plus years with a few good mortal friends would become golden years.

I'd do everything I could to avoid turning into some sort of Max Schreck expy, naturally.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
If they're not all absolute tossers, like in True Blood. Imagine spending immortality with that kind of people around you.

Still, I suppose I'm more inclined towards werewolves.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I sure wouldn't, I mean, it would be fun for a bit, but after a while it would get old and boring.

I would much rather prefer to slay them, now that would be fun and exciting. They are monsters and should be hunted down as such, and their skulls would make rather awesome table center pieces.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I don't know the "True Blood" rules.

For me, it really depends on some things:
Do I need to kill someone to feed? Does feeding automatically turn the victim into a vampire?
Does sunlight kill or just weaken me? Can I use sunblock? How about umbrellas/parasols?
Can I be an atheist vampire who is indifferent to holy symbols?
Am I hurt by running water? Can I put water repellent on myself?
Am I hurt by just being around garlic or do I have to eat it? Is it like an allergy?
How easy is it to blend in with normal people?
Can I eat and enjoy foods other than blood if I so chose?
Why do I have to drink blood? Is it for nutrition or is it a magical/spiritual thing?
Will my hair still grow?
What about silver? Does that hurt? How intensely?
Do I get a time-manipulating ninja maid? How about a fiercely loyal werewolf servant? Will I be locked in the basement for 500 years? Can I have a mansion?

That's a lot of questions, actually. At this point, I'm on the fence. If I get some answers, I might be able to choose.

FunctionZ

Jul 4, 2011
Joccaren said:
I have never seen/played/read True Blood, so I'd have no idea what the parameters are.
If:
1. I did not HAVE to feed, but it gave me extra strength and speed or w/e if I did
2. There was no visual marker at all, including that damned fairy sparkling from Twilight
3. I would be immortal
4. I would gain better than normal vision at night
5. It would be relatively painless
6. Holy symbols and garlic and that crap had no effect.

Then yes. No real downsides, and a few perks I could make use of. Otherwise, probably not.
Pretty much this for me.

It sounds like the type of vampire Alucard (from Hellsing) is.

IIRC he was able to walk in the sunlight and nothing manage to kill him. If I was to be a vampire it would be with his vampire powers.