Poll: "Ignorance is bliss"

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Ignorance doesn't mean stupid, come on people. It means not knowing something."Ignorance is bliss" basically means you can't be upset or inconvinenced about things you don't know about.

Say your significant other is cheating on you, pretty much sucks, but if you know nothing of the affair it can't cause any trouble.

Not to say its exactly a good thing, but it is pretty much true.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
SilentCom said:
You hear the phrase "ignorance is bliss" every now and then but is it really? Can you really feel worse off knowing more or do people say this because of some perceived loss of innocence?
You're assuming that bliss is good.

The ignorant are blissful - right up until they get squashed by what they didn't know was right behind them.

Or as they are torturing someone because they're too ignorant to know better.

I'd rather be sad than ignorant. Screw bliss.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
Ironman126 said:
"Knowledge is power, guard it well." (bonus point if you get the reference). So, no, ignorance is not bliss.
Warhammer can i has cookie nowz?

Ignorance is bliss in that you are unaware of the trouble and chaos of... existence. I think that ignorance of a child is bliss, in that there is that small window of time when everything seems to work as it should. As you learn more you get to a point where you question everything you learned as wrong and have to reevaluate beliefs, the end of bliss is knowledge. But as you learn more it serves only to show reality in a fuller sense and makes everything have its own innate beauty to it, thus knowledge cause its own bliss in a way.

So yes ignorance is bliss, but only a false bliss that should be reserved for toddlers. Knowledge destroys bliss and creates problems but can also serve to better the world in a way to make it closer to what it "should be" instead of what it is.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
I wish I was still ignorant of 4chan...

but on topic, yes and no, it's a situational thing.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Yeah I know way more than i should about quite a few things and it hasn't brought me anything truly positive. There are times when some info comes in handy but largely no. And most people don't need to know a lot of things that go on in the world.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
To be honest, I'd much rather know about the unfortunate aspects of life than be blinded to it completely.
It's human nature to have a drive to learn, after all.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Valanthe said:
but on topic, yes and no, it's a situational thing.
Pretty much this. I was a whole lot happier when I believed in some sort of God and afterlife. I had a much more positive outlook on life. These days, while I've not abandoned my faith completely I think I'm closer to an atheist or at least agnostic than religious.

To some that wouldn't bother. To me, it made me really upset and it still keeps me up at night. Mainly because before then I thought death wasn't the end, when my loved ones died or I died, we'd all meet each other again in the afterlife. Now, I'm certain that death is pretty much a permanent state of unconsciousness, that when we die, it will be as if we never existed. I'll never see my loved ones again after that.

If I could make a decision to erase that knowledge from my head... I would. I know many of you are going to think of me as an idiot and I'm probably one of the worlds many problems, for admitting that I'd rather believe in what most people including my self believe is more than likely a lie, than know what most consider the truth for the sake of it making me feel a whole lot happier. However thats the honest truth. I would.

What makes it worse is that there is no one to talk to about this. My family members still believe in an afterlife and they seem extremely content with that, I don't want to tell them my feelings as I fear I'd risk making there lives a whole lot worse. They're happily ignorant, if only I could join them.

Note: I'm not trying to turn this into a religious debate, I'm just giving an example where I was blissfully ignorant.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ignorance is bliss but knowledge is awesome

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
It depends. If the knowledge is only going to bring pain then yes it is bliss but other than that no, it's better to know.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Depends on the circumstance. Sometimes, its better to let the man be happy then to ruin him by telling him the truth.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I find myself often wishing that I just didn't care so much about everything. It would be great to be just another clone that only listens to the tv and radio, hangs out at clubs, only ever experiences shallow things. That way I wouldn't constantly be so bitter and disappointed at things. My mind is constantly working and being critical, because I feel like its valuable to do that. How can things get better if we aren't critical? But sometimes it's really just too much for my brain.

Its frustrating that I basically have no friends because no one enjoys the things I like. Its hard to make friends when you don't follow whats 'popular', and often I wish I could be one of those people. Sometimes I feel like I'm broken, or insane... it seems so wrong that while everyone else follows the mainstream and is perfectly content with their lives that I have to go outside of the mainstream to find something that truly moves me and feels fufilling. Its terribly awkward and ultimately alienating when in a conversation about music or shows I have to explain every single thing I love, because no one else has ever heard of those things.

So yes I think ignorance is bliss. The less you worry and think about others and the world, the happier you'll be. If you are at a point in your life where you never have to think of others and you can just relax and be content in your life, that is true happiness. I will never be truly happy in my life, I am doomed to walk a lonely path and nothing useful will probably ever come of it.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I hate not knowing something. Fortunately, we live in an age where information on any topic which comes to mind is available in seconds.