Poll: I'm embarased to be called a pc gamer

MarcusMang

Dec 12, 2008
Here's the thing, I like to play games on my PC (an iMac with XP installed), but every time that I see PC gamers spout off on the interwebnets (DRM, blaming everything bad on consoles, anti-digital distribution, pirates, etc) I just get embarrassed to count myself among them. Does anyone else feel the same way? I know I should just ignore them, but I just have OCD and an obsessive memory and I can't "just forget it".

MarcusMang

Dec 12, 2008
twistedheat15 said:
Since you play on a mac, I don't think most of them would consider you one of them anyway so.... :D
That's another thing; you cant just play on a PC, you need to have the RIGHT PC and if it's a Mac or costs less than $1400 you get shunned by the community.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Self esteem based on choice of consumer goods is overrated and PC gamer is pretty much just a statement of fact rather than an ideology for most of us. I wouldn't expect a Mac owner to understand that though.

komissar_kurwy

Oct 18, 2010
MarcusMang said:
twistedheat15 said:
Since you play on a mac, I don't think most of them would consider you one of them anyway so.... :D
That's another thing; you cant just play on a PC, you need to have the RIGHT PC and if it's a Mac or costs less than $1400 you get shunned by the community.
That's bullshit. If anything, it would be the other way around: if you're not capable of assembling your own rig for less than 900$ then you'd deserve some flaming.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
No, I don't feel the same way, I feel proud to call myself a PC gamer - however nerdy that sounds, despite the actions of others.

Akiada

Apr 7, 2010
MarcusMang said:
Here's the thing, I like to play games on my PC (an iMac with XP installed), but every time that I see PC gamers spout off on the interwebnets (DRM, blaming everything bad on consoles, anti-digital distribution, pirates, etc) I just get embarrassed to count myself among them. Does anyone else feel the same way? I know I should just ignore them, but I just have OCD and an obsessive memory and I can't "just forget it".
So, would you rather be counted among the wonderful community of X-box Live then? Consoles aren't angelic - they have their bad apples.

Also some of those issues are real. DRM is an incredible pain in the arse at times.

MarcusMang said:
twistedheat15 said:
No, Macs get shunned because they're unmodifiable - you either pay Apple's price for a good machine or you don't get a good machine. That's why they're unliked - you need that $1400 dollars to get an awesome machine.

With PCs it's a mark of skill to be able to get an awesome gaming PC without paying through the nose - you gain some basic technical skill, buy the components and assemble. You can, if you're savvy enough, assemble a $1400 dollar machine for half that amount.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MarcusMang said:
twistedheat15 said:
What a crock of shit; every PC gamer I've seen spends the entire time telling people that you can build a very good gaming PC for cheap if you're smart about it. What do you even mean on the "RIGHT PC"? Most people aim to get ones custom built as opposed to factory made ones.

And anti-digital distribution? We're the ones pushing it.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
komissar_kurwy said:
That's bullshit. If anything, it would be the other way around: if you're not capable of assembling your own rig for less than 900$ then you'd deserve some flaming.
Exactly what I was thinking...

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Proud to be PC! I've never owned a console and never will. I don't care about other people's actions. I just mute and/or ignore them.

MarcusMang

Dec 12, 2008
Woodsey said:
MarcusMang said:
twistedheat15 said:
What a crock of shit; every PC gamer I've seen spends the entire time telling people that you can build a very good gaming PC for cheap if you're smart about it.

No from what I've seen, I've seen lots of anti-Steam people that dismiss it just because it's online.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
No, I don't feel the same way, I feel proud to call myself a PC gamer - however nerdy that sounds, despite the actions of others.
^^This^^

I'm a glad to be a quiet member of the PC gaming community. Now to get the money to make my own dedicated gaming rig, to get my Steam account sorted out and actually playing online more...

I'm still single-player oriented.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MarcusMang said:
Woodsey said:
MarcusMang said:
twistedheat15 said:
What a crock of shit; every PC gamer I've seen spends the entire time telling people that you can build a very good gaming PC for cheap if you're smart about it.

No from what I've seen, I've seen lots of anti-Steam people that dismiss it just because it's online.
Yeah, some people. But it's also got 30 million users, so think about it for a second.

The Escapist had a recent poll and it was the majority of console gamers that were against DD.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
In retrospect, it's kinda the same thing for anything where ppl are enthusiastic about something. Get around ppl who like sports, and they'll expect you to know every stat for every team over the last 20 years. A car enthusiast expect ppl who like cars to be able to bore out a carborator with his eyes closed or he's just a poser. Pc gamer are the same way and all these ppl are like the annoying douche who's constantly talking about how he liked a certain band before it was popular as if it make'ems look cooler and better because of it. Ya just need to ignore the douches and let'em keep having their delusions of grandeur.

MarcusMang

Dec 12, 2008
Woodsey said:
MarcusMang said:
Woodsey said:
MarcusMang said:
twistedheat15 said:

Yeah, some people. But it's also got 30 million users, so think about it for a second.

The Escapist had a recent poll and it was the majority of console gamers that were against DD.
I've never been a fan of polls to try to get opinions; wheather it be gaming or politics.

10zack986

Dec 5, 2009
MarcusMang said:
twistedheat15 said:
If it's not a Mac then you won't NEED more than 1400 for a godlike gaming PC.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
The thing is drm is a ***** no matter what way you look at it, imagine if you told the console gamers they couldnt trade their games they would freak out too. Also steam is awesome better than psn and live put together. (I have all 3 btw)

Edit: What poll?

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
who gives a shit what people think of PC gamers know what yes I think DRM, limited installs and online activation are utter bullshit want me to stay quiet? Fuck no, I like my hardcopies, my monies as good as anyone elses and yes I'll use the same fucking public forums to voice my opinions.

Who gives a rats ass what people think of them over the fucking internet of all places? I can be a 43 year old black woman in Guadalahara if I feel like it.

MarcusMang

Dec 12, 2008
Nmil-ek said:
who gives a shit what people think of PC gamers know what yes I think DRM, limited installs and online activation are utter bullshit want me to stay quiet? Fuck no, I like my hardcopies, my monies as good as anyone elses and yes I'll use the same fucking public forums to voice my opinions.

Who gives a rats ass what people think of them over the fucking internet of all places? I can be a 43 year old black woman in Guadalahara if I feel like it.
Are you a 43 year old black woman from Guadalahara? That would be hilarious.