Poll: Immortality, with a catch

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Yes. Then I would use my strong telekinetic powers to make them live again.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Erja_Perttu said:
SlaveNumber23 said:
Every time you murder someone your immortality will be extended by 1 year.
Well, that's not immortality then, is it? You don't extend immortality. It's just an extended lifespan dependent on some very immoral logistics.

OT: Boring! Immortality would be so dull after a while. Life is so cyclical, fashion goes round, businesses boom and bust and wars ebb and flow. With all the same crap coming and going, being an immortal would get so very tiresome.
I was going to say the same thing. This immortality as it is extending your timespan.

Now a unique take on Immortality would be that you would have to be the grim reaper, but every person on your list you would have to get buddies with before you kill them.

Jan 27, 2011
HEEEEEELL NO.

First of all, Immortality is overrated.

Two, you have to keep killing people PERSONALLY do keep it going? Not only will that get you caught and taken down and feared, but it's also...uhh...WRONG?

...That being said, there doesn't seem to be a clause about the victim needing to be "non-evil"...Soo....One could theoretically go Kira on the world, and be like "I will destroy all evil. If you want me to go away, stop being evil. Then my lifespan will dry up and I will gladly die in peace."

...Not that I would do that. It's not in me to kill. I don't have the instinct/drive for it.

Thee Lost One

May 26, 2010
Fightgarr said:
Immortality always has a catch. You realized that if you can't die, the probability of you becoming trapped forever rises to 100%. See, being immortal doesn't entail you're super strong, or anything else. It just means that you don't die. If you were trapped beneath a rock at the bottom of the ocean, you'd just be experiencing drowing... forever. And one could go with the argument "Well I'll avoid those situations", but the thing is: this is forever we're talking about, it will happen eventually because even if the probability of that event is low, when a probability is given infinite time, it always happens.
You forgot that this set of Immortality comes with super levels of Telekinesis, and so long as you know what you're doing, you can get your self out of those situations.

Xenowolf

Feb 3, 2012
Why would you even wan to become immortal? Would you want to see the world around gradually die? How many millions of years could you last before going insane?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Ahhh.... it's hard to resist the temptation of this wonderful... where do I sign?

It's a nice excuse to go on a maniacal killing spree. The telekinetic powers would definitely help with that, allowing me to come up with creative freak "accidents" and sadistic ends of all flavours and varieties. Hahaahaha!!!

I'm a monster, aren't I?

Marxaeus

Mar 13, 2012
What exact type of immortality is it though? Is it Dorian Gray style immortality, where you can neither die and are invulnerable to harm? Or highlander style immortality, where you can still die through bodily harm.

I personally wouldn't go for it. Like many immortality threads have mentioned, I wouldn't be able to deal with my family and friends passing on while I stay alive. Sure I could stop killing people to die, but I wouldn't want to die, knowing people died for me to stay alive. Besides it's not like nobody would be after you.

CAPTCHA: in limbo

Yarkaz

Aug 22, 2009
What kind of immortality are we talking, here? IS it just an extended lifespan, or could I survive instances that others cannot? Could I die from a gunshot wound? Blood loss? Lots of serious pain? Decapitation?
Even going Kira on people would be difficult if death is possible via injury, especially since you need to kill personally. What use is another year of like when my victim's criminal buddies are after me? Telekinesis would help to a degree, but that's different from omniscience. I could still be caught off guard or unawares, Everyone has to sleep sometime, and I have to know someone is there to stop their attacks with my mind.
In the end, even if you want to be noble about it and only kill criminals, it's too risky, and certainly not worth the cost.

Now if I was completely untouchable.. I would probably do it. I'm not arrogant enough to think that it wouldn't drive me insane or that I wouldn't eventually start murdering small time criminals for lack of other options under the misguided premise that "all crime is equal..." I just know my personality well, and have a feeling that I'd prolly fall into a serious tragedy if faced with this choice.

Now how about something like... "Every time you eat a jelly bean you gain one year of life?" I might do that for a while.

RobDaBank

Nov 16, 2011
I'd join the army. I'm sure they could find plenty of people for a telekinetic immortal to kill legitematley.

And who knows, you could actually make a positive change to the world, and alot of money. These people don't have to be innocent do they?

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
yes, yes I would, lots of motherfuckers out there who deserve nothing but death, why not be me the one who ends his life?? and if I can't make it, well...JOIN THE ARMY, or a satanist cult, whatever.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Yeah I'd do it besides, I've always wanted to live to see all those advancements that seem to be just a few years after you die.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
So, what's the catch? I'd would love having telekinetic powers, I could...kill for them. Yeah. And immortality is a nice bonus with the package. Also, the world needs some cleaning. I see no downside. Moreover, I'll finally get to test if I'm as clever as I think I am. I have theoretical plans how to kills a person and get away with it. I don't even need telekinesis but I can see applications for it.

Sure the hardest would be to kill people in the beginning but I will go with "they are evil" or something. Once I rack up a murder count, it would get increasingly easier to justify the act. The only problem I see is keeping a check on the kills. As time goes by, the murders would just get so routine I might slip.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
The concept of immortality sucks IMO anyways, so there is no way in hell I would willingly bring it upon myself.

To put it in perspective, I find the idea of immortality to be the worst curse you could possibly inflict on someone. To say "I wish you were immortal" essentially translates to "I hope you live long enough for everything you ever work for to crumble to dust, to see everyone and everything you care for die, and to become so jaded that you resent everything that happens forever."

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Ehhhhh, too iffy. Not only am I sure I'd be caught eventually, I'm pretty sure I'd weary of the process. Maybe if each kill gave me 10 years...though even then.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Sacrificing my mortality for murder...mmmm,not worth it.
Immortality is really overrated anyway if there's one thing eternal it is the stupidity of man.As much as I'd like to sweep it,the world wouldn't be the same,nor will I want to experience more stupidity coming from everywhere.

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
its not really immortality then its just highlander with a yearly quota but id do it seeing as i can basically quit whenever and well id just kill criminals

witheringsanity

Aug 25, 2009
i'd say no, but in reality, given the opportunity, i doubt there are many people who would turn it down. we are hardwired to be afraid of and avoid death at all costs. the way you phrase it though, as in "murder" instead of simply "kill", makes it far more interesting. that would mean it has to be a hateful, hurtful thing. not a mercy killing or a kill to save someone else or to win a war. you have to murder someone, not just end someones life. with that stipulation, i dont think i could do it.

Havok2099

Aug 24, 2011
I'd love to say I wouldn't now, but I probably would.
I know alot of people say it would suck to live forever, but no matter how many times I consider the argument I still always think it would be awesome to have no time limits on what you wanted to do.
So I'd kill someone every year, preferably someone who is despicably bad, and go and do everything I could in the world. Simple.