Poll: Impressions From the Duke Nukem Forever Demo.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
There was no poll option for "I don't engage in manufactured nostalgia for a time I didn't live to see," or "I'll be passing on this one, as I've watched the Evil Dead movies and I've played Halo.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Keava said:
Sadly they really ruined parts of the game that made Duke who he was. The gameplay itself is fine, run around, shoot things, visuals are at good level, art style is not bad. Problems however are in the details.

First thing first, regenerating health. Games with regenerating health pretty much assume that you will run away and hide to regain HP, means you have to play a coward. In old duke you had Armor, you had Med Kits, in DNF you don't have enough HP to start with to go and spread happy destruction left and right. Regenerating Health does not suit Duke.

Second thing. 2 weapons limit. Who the hell thought it is good idea? Duke is about rawr, kill, explode, shoot. Limiting players to only 2 weapons at time ruins the whole "fun" factor of old Duke. The game used to be about having all kinds of fancy toys to play with. Now, thanks to first issue you will play sniper Duke. That's no Duke.

Third issue - lack of Mighty Boot. Maybe i missed it, maybe i did something wrong, but seriously, why was the melee copy pasted from Generic_Shooter_071 ? Mighty Boot was Duke. Duke hitting with guns is not Duke.

The game could have been happy fun times careless shooter carnage but in current state it seems way too vanilla, way too tame. The fun factor is diminished by design choices that seem just forced due to how the market looks currently.

It's not bad, it's just not what many of those who enjoyed the old DN3D expected from DNF. It lacks the character.
Quoted for Truth. For the sad sad Truth.

Now the only hope we have left for a decent old-school mayhem-shooter is Serious Sam 3, despite the "ironsights" in the trailer.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
MercurySteam said:
Yeah, demos usually become available on LIVE after the full game is released, but it may end up alienating more people than it appeals to. That's the issue with shitty demos and right now I bet a few people who bought Borderlands GotY Edition are thinking of steering clear of DNF.
Fair enough, and I can see plenty of people being (rightfully) disappointed with this demo. It's VERY different from the duke we know and love. However, as I said before, I still had fun. So I'll be giving it a fair go.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm still unsure. If this is the same demo that press release got some eight months ago, then we don't know how much has changed since then.

If this is an updated version of that demo from a recent build, well that is rather foreboding.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Mouse_Crouse said:
MercurySteam said:
Yeah, demos usually become available on LIVE after the full game is released, but it may end up alienating more people than it appeals to. That's the issue with shitty demos and right now I bet a few people who bought Borderlands GotY Edition are thinking of steering clear of DNF.
Fair enough, and I can see plenty of people being (rightfully) disappointed with this demo. It's VERY different from the duke we know and love. However, as I said before, I still had fun. So I'll be giving it a fair go.
The Duke deserves a fair go though if the final product fails to impress, I will have no choice but to return it. I'm still panning on shelling out for more than half a dozen other games this year so I can't afford to waste my money on any game that is a waste of time.

This week shall be interesting indeed.

Apr 28, 2008
Well I'd love to play the demo but for some stupid-ass reason only people who pre-order the game can play it. Or bought Borderlands GOTY edition.

Still, what about everyone else? You know, the people you still need to convince to buy the thing? When do we get the demo?

Although I probably shouldn't complain, since they seemed to have turned Duke Nukem into your standard FPS. I was hoping for a return to past shooters, but seems Duke isn't the one that'll be leading the charge.

Hopefully Serious Sam can pick up the slack.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
So, on another forum, somebody posted the following:
Guess you could say that just like Duke3d, it's a generic shooter with an unusually crazy, over the top character. It's just that the contemporary generic shooter has become a lot worse during those long long years
Since I'm bored, I feel in the mood for an improptu survey. How many of you agree with this guy?

Also:

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Keava said:
Second thing. 2 weapons limit. Who the hell thought it is good idea? Duke is about rawr, kill, explode, shoot. Limiting players to only 2 weapons at time ruins the whole "fun" factor of old Duke. The game used to be about having all kinds of fancy toys to play with. Now, thanks to first issue you will play sniper Duke. That's no Duke.
This really pissed me off. The most likely reason for this (I think Gearbox might actually have said this at some point, can't remember where though) is to cater for consoles. Now, I primarily play on consoles, and you really don't need to limit things that much. You could easy fit 8 weapons on there with no control problems. Map 2 weapons to each direction on the d-pad, tap it once to select one of them, hold it for a second to select the other. Problem fucking solved, this shit isn't difficult.

Now, if was an actual design decision instead of them not understanding controllers, then I fear for humanity. You'd have to be literally mentally handicapped to think that was a good idea.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Irridium said:
Well I'd love to play the demo but for some stupid-ass reason only people who pre-order the game can play it. Or bought Borderlands GOTY edition.

Still, what about everyone else? You know, the people you still need to convince to buy the thing? When do we get the demo?
Trust me when I say that you're not missing much. You should get access to the demo after the game is released.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Lagao said:
I guarentee the game is great and the only reason you don't like it is probably because "ITS NOT LIKE COD"
Did you even read the fucking posts? With regen health, two weapon limit and lack of Mighty Boot, it's way too much like CoD for most people's comfort.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Lagao said:
Seriously? The game is a decade old. What did you expect? I'm still getting it because its Duke Nukem! Its you idiots that overhype a game, exaggerating the game putting it on a high horse only to ***** and complain about it soon as it comes out. I guarentee the game is great and the only reason you don't like it is probably because "ITS NOT LIKE COD"

Thats all you retards do anymore. A new game is announced, a trailer comes out, the overhype begins, and then once it comes out "IT SUCKS" Gee I wonder, if you were just happy for a new one and didn't overhype how the game would be, would it still suck? Or would you be happy?

Do anyone of you play for the story? Or just to shoot things, because if its just to shoot things, uhh...thats never going to change. A headshot still has the same affect in every fps.

TL;DR version
Stop Overhyping Games, and you won't be dissapointed.
No Games Are Perfect. None. A game will never live up to your hype.

/endrantofgaminghype
I wasn't hyped at all, played it, and it was shit. And I don't like CoD. So there you go.

And playing Duke Nukem for the story? Come off it.

OT: It was below even what I expected. Its not obscene in the slightest (despite clearly believing it is), its not funny, and the shooting doesn't feel right - and those are the only things the game has to go on.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, I can't play it, meaning that Gearbox epically botched their last reasonable attempt to interest me.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
CrazyJuan77 said:
I could never understand why anyone was anticipating this title in the first place.
I guess that a game that long in development is expected to rain down gold, though I don't know how it generated so much hype as what drew most people into the original games is probably all but gone now. The only games that deserve all the hype they generate after so many years of development are probably Blizzard games (people who've played Starcraft II know what I'm talking about).

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I felt underwhelmed by the demo, but mainly because it seems like it was kind of a poor, disjointed sample of the game. I have much higher hopes for the full game.

Those controls could use a little tightening up if you ask me, but that's an adaptation thing.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
Meh?

Just average and unintresting, kind of like Haze only less classy. I was never a fan of the series though. If I reach a point where I have nothing better to do and there's no games out that i'm intrested in i'll rent it with gamefly because I get charged the same whether I use it or not. I would not spend the $8 at BlockBuster to rent Duke Nukem.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Windcaler said:
The demo is a demo much like Beta is Beta, we can never be sure of the finished product from just playing a Demo/Beta.
No? I don't get this argument. A demo is supposed to give you a taste of the game. You're supposed to judge the final game on it. Very few games significantly differ in quality from their demo this close to release. Besides, all the problem with the game come from the main mechanics, mainly the weapon swapping and regenerating health. That's not going to go away outside of the demo. That is unless this is some elaborate troll and a real demo will be released in a few days featuring Duke gunning down an imposter Duke and returning to the glory of old school shoters.
Yes Im afraid. I can recall many demo's over the history of gaming that had a great many differences from the finished product. Im not saying that DNF will be so vastly different from the Demo that it will descend from heaven and lead us to the promised land. Im just saying that while Demo's give us a taste of the game we can never be sure about the finished product by using them as a sole means of judgement.

If you dont want to buy a game because a Demo/Beta wasnt fun for you well alright, thats your right as a consumer. That doesnt change the fact that demo's and Finished products can, but not necessarily will, differ in large ways

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I haven't played it, but I watched some videos of the demo.

I saw a lot of unimpressive graphics, confusing level design, glitches ahoy, and just generally was unimpressed... and I wanted to be impressed.

Maybe the final game will be great... but I think it's just stewed for too long. Same problem happened with Gran Turismo 5 - it was in production for so long that they finally decided to just released the blasted thing, but it still wasn't ready and still had too many flaws really live up to its legacy.

It'll probably be decent, sell well, and we as a community will go "eh, it was forgettable" and move on to the next COD or Battlefield come the holidays, leaving Duke as a sort of odd duck in a sea of superior shooters.