Poll: In Fallout 3/NV, which do you like finding more?

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
ammo. it's weightless (unless you're playing hardcore), useful, can can be easily traded for caps.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
your answer: THROW THE CIGS AT HIM! HE WILL BE DISTRACTED BY YOUR CAPITALISTIC ITEM AND WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT HIM.
And if that doesn't distract him, he will be when Nestor the Chain-Smoking Sniper throws himself after them, shouting "Miiiiiiine!!" :3

Wonder if the Legion's ever going to catch on, and lure my character into a trap by leaving a trail of cigarettes and absinthe out on a minefield?

Sep 14, 2009
Muspelheim said:
gmaverick019 said:
your answer: THROW THE CIGS AT HIM! HE WILL BE DISTRACTED BY YOUR CAPITALISTIC ITEM AND WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT HIM.
And if that doesn't distract him, he will be when Nestor the Chain-Smoking Sniper throws himself after them, shouting "Miiiiiiine!!" :3

Wonder if the Legion's ever going to catch on, and lure my character into a trap by leaving a trail of cigarettes and absinthe out on a minefield?
hahaha, good stuff.

Nah, they've got too much pride for that. Using modern technology for smart warfare? Pah, we'll run in with our fists and glory! * legionnaire zerg rush attack*

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I usually play sneaky and since everything dies in a few hits from my finessed better critical silenced 12.7mm pistol I end up trucking around a mountain of ammo that I don't use. Don't really have to use stimpacks either.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Early on, clean food and water (even in 3, after I had basic needs modded in). Later, rare ammo. I very rarely use stims, almost always have more ammo for my mainstay weapons than I can use, and bottlecaps... well, I trade for everything and tend to let the excess bottlecaps fall on my side of the barter, so I pretty much just hoard the things.

hashtag

Oct 30, 2011
Health.

I hoard all my ammo, and I buy it in bulk. For example, at one point in Fallout: New Vegas I had so many caps I was able to buy 2000 .308 rounds. I don't even know why i thought that was smart, but they lasted quite a while.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
TheOneBearded said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
TheOneBearded said:
Whenever I find Pre-war money, I always get happy as hell. They are worth ten caps and they weigh nothing. I can use them to buy mountains and mountains of stimpacks.
Who would have thought cigarettes were so damn valuable? A carton is like 40 caps.
True, but the carton weighs a full pound. That pound could be the difference between running to New Vegas and slowly, SLOWLY walking to it. Good God, I hate being over encumbered.
It's better to keep though since the 1:40 weight to cap ratio is WAY better than almost anything.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
In Fallout 3, eh, doesn't matter. Got more caps and ammo than I need.

In NV, things are a bit more expensive so I'm not quite as settled as I am in FO3. I still can't use my flamer as much as I want, can't find or buy enough fuel. I like to use overcharged ammo in my lasers, and repairs are expensive. I'm also trying to save up ammo to use in some of the more powerful guns, so I can't convert it to ammo for guns I do have or sell it for caps. I do have around 8000 caps though, but again, things are more expensive...

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
TheOneBearded said:
But what if a pesky Legionare wants to play gun tag? I can't shoot my Fat Man at his junk if I have a carton of cigs in my hands.

On your answer: I rarely run out of ammo because I loot Legionares and I use the money from my Pre-war money cash-ins to buy more ammo at the Gun Runners. For health, I go to Usanagi, who sells me my meds for normal price (Unlike that ***** from Novac - "What! You want 114 caps for one stimpack! Oh Hell NO!). Unfortunately, my wallet is a bit low right now after getting the Gun Runners DLC - most of my money goes into buying some of the cooler weapons like the Bozar and that super Fat Man whose name escapes me.
maybe i was just stupid or maybe i'm right, but i always seemed to like using the weapon where either the ammo wasn't sold (at least at a convenient spot like gun runners) or it was expensive as hell, so that's the reason why i ran low on ammo mostly.

Genius! With my love of Psycho and my Strength at 10, the thrown carton will act like a bullet from a 50. Cal - blowing off a chunk of his body.

On your answer: There is something exhilarating about using the Fat Man and its super Gun Runner version in Fallout: NV. With ammo being rare as hell, I rarely use the gun (I do buy the GR version of the nukes, but they only come in about a good 9 per day or so and they are expensive as hell.). So when the time comes to actually use the weapon, I get happy inside - especially with the Big Yield nukes, which is the greatest thing to watch when roaming the wastes.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
WeAreStevo said:
Vicarious Reality said:
Zhukov said:
In both games I was soon rolling in resources of all kinds, so finding more stuff didn't matter much.
A fellow hoarder eh
I usually drag around FAR more than i actually need to complete the game
Like a third minigun, to repair the miniguns i am already using
Rather ridiculously unreal
Oh god. I did that too.

I would keep every "named weapon" in a special cabinet in my house, then I would repair them to the max, and then I wouldn't use them, for fear of them being broken or lost.

I also filled every other cabinet/storage space with various odds and ends divided up by type (ammo, health, custom parts, armor etc).

I would fast travel back to my home about every 10-20 minutes...

So yea, I feel you =/
Good God! I have found my equals.
I don't even carry generic weapons anymore - all of them have a name. I loot every weapon and bring it to my Novac house to place them into the cabinet, which must have a black hole in it or something to hold all my stuff. I put them in there to later sell them for drug money, but deep inside I know that that will never happen.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Ammo. There's not much worth buying, the best guns are found and it doesn't take long to find enough stimpacks to reduce the game to a joke. While you usually have enough servicable ammo to take anything down, knowing you're sufficiently stockpiled to hand out magnums and .50 armour penetrating rounds like candy is always good.

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
.44 rounds (Fallout 3 & New Vegas) or .44 / 45-70 rounds / 12.7 rounds (New Vegas). My favorite calibers for these games.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Ammo
Money
Health

The only thing I spend any caps on are implants and ammunition. So just finding ammunition is really cutting out the middle man and saves me the time it takes to fast travel place to place buying up their supply.

However

In hardcore mode stims are everything.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Most recently I played through New Vegas as Charlie Sheen, I was more psyched about finding drugs and alcohol because he was addicted to pretty much everything before I got to the Mojave Outpost. Money was just used to buy more drugs and booze so I prefered to cut out the middle man.

I'd never tried a drug addicted/alcoholic character before. Made some parts easier and some parts way more challenging of course, it also prevented me from acquiring money as quickly. It also caused me to drink a lot more dirty water since hardcore mode makes alcohol dehydrate you.

Josufu

Jun 13, 2010
If I have to choose from those options, usually money. I'm usually swimming in all three in both games, but at least with cash I don't have to go liquidate loot to spend cash on implants in Fallout NV.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Health stuff. Especially Doctor's Bags. Especially especially Hydra, though THAT means I'll need to keep Fixer handy.

Muspelheim said:
Also, even if I can't smoke them in-game, I still get exited when I find some surviving cigarettes. Always keeps a pack in my inventory.
Didn't you read the Surgeon's General warning, Snake?

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Named items.

Ammo, I trip over enough of it that I have 5000 rounds of each type by end game.

Health Stuff I never use all that often, or at all.

Money, well local economy of every location, including The Pitt and Point Lookout are dependent on me by 10th level. Whenever I need new supplies, I just take an Enclave Power armor out of the closet and use it for coin. I've even handicapped myself a few times by making Bottlecap mines. Can't find enough cherry bombs in the wasteland however.

I tend to go really stupid just to get a named item. "Wot? There's a Gatling Laser inside the Deathclaw sanctuary? It's called Vengeance? I'm there!"

"The Break is in Paradise Falls? I guess I'll cold blooded murder all of these fuckers to get it."

Wow, there's a special medical power armor in another Deathclaw infested area? Where did I leave Fawkes and my post Broken Steel Dogmeat?"

Other than that, I do the hoarders thing and gather enough items to get a small insurgency going. Which is how I see myself Post game, doing the Fallout Tactical RPG simulation. I'm going to have one hell of a retirement going knowing that most of the East Cost is mine to control. Although the Collective, or whatever that science loving robot slave culture might be the biggest challenge, I can use my BoS connections for a few vertibirds.