Poll: In the States you can have a drivers license at 16. That is much too young.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
I was taught how to drive by my father, a marine who still does government work. It was intense, but it was to ensure that I was ready to drive when I got my license. When I turned sixteen, I had already logged over 300 hours of driving in all types of weather, in all types of road conditions and road types. He would even take me out to the backroads and then put me into spins and make me correct the vehicle and keep driving the same direction I had been traveling (he did this a lot). Was I ready to drive? Heck yes, but only because of the preparation that I had been through.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
honestly, i'm glad I don't live in america sometimes
the mere thought of ton-up 16 year olds on the roads is enough to severely limit my lifespan

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
I was driving a 15-ton, standard transmission, grain truck when I was 16.

I did not start driving at 16, I was driving at age 14. The only reason we waited that long was because we did not live on the farm but in town and my fathers farming operation was beginning too wind down as he was getting ready too retire in a few years.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I just got my permit, I am american and eighteen. I think sixteen is WAAAAAAAAAY too young. I make enough mistakes.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
No one should drive except those who would bring on serious negative consequences if they didn't.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Daveman said:
tbh they all drive automatics in the states. Passing on just an automatic doesn't even count amongst my friends (and in most of the UK) and I'd be taken the piss out of more than I would for not having a license. The fact is that girl would never be able to do that if she was driving a manual so I think everyone should be forced to learn on those and drive them for like 3 years.

Much more importantly I don't think the test should be a one time thing, I think you should have to renew your license every 5 years or so just to weed out the fucktards a bit more. That said I believe there are fucktards of all ages and I know plenty of 16 year olds more mature than 20 year olds, so I think it's fine.
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I agree, in the UK it's 17. Although I'm 21 next month and I'm still not bothered about having a drivers licence just now. I won't be bothered about driving until I'm 25. Insurance is more expensive for people under 25 here because it's usually the little tits aged 17-25 that cause car crashes because they try and get cocky in their absurdly tricked out cars.

It's not always like that, I mean there are plenty of people over 25 that are in car crashes but that's just the way a lot of insurance company's work.
It's really for your first three years of driving so even by waiting until you're 25 they'll still get you. But at least now it's illegal to charge you more for insurance for just being male. I totally agree though, I fucking hate driving. I'm 20 but my parents are making me do it. Apparently it's a "valuable life skill".
I'm not too bothered about driving at all, I live in quite a small town and I can walk anywhere in the town within 30-40 minutes so it's not like I really need one. However it would still be nice to have one just for getting to work since I work early and I'm usually up at 5am. If I had a car to get to work I'd be able to get a little more sleep :p

RGC360

Dec 6, 2010
But, you have to think; are you only the good driver you are today because you started at 16, thus giving you more years of driving experience or are you better because you're older?

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Being sixteen doesn't make you any more or any less of a responsible person. That's solely upon an individual basis. You have to keep in mind that there are also limitations and curfew laws depending on which state or city we're speaking of.

There's very little difference between the ages sixteen through eighteen. That age group tends to be the same mentally. It isn't until about the age of twenty one or so, that people start forming a sense of responsibility.

Fishehh

May 2, 2009
In Canada, you get your "L" at 16 (you can only have Family (as many as can legally be in your car) or 1 passenger and an adult above the age of 25 with their license for at least 5 years,) at 17 you can get your "N" which means 1 passenger or unlimited family, but with no adult needed, after 2 years with your "N" you can get your full license. If the age is raised as it may be soon to 2 years with the "L" (That's silly) people in Highschool won't be able to drive to college (or have their parents in their car ALL the time), so, no. In Canada the system is fine as it is (Alberta you can your "L" at 14, so 16 is FINE).

Captcha: Good Riddance (Is it meaning parents sending their kids to college?)

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
The Random One said:
Personally, I think you should only get a driver's licence if you proved that it was absolutely impossible for you to live a normal life without a car. Like a gun licence. Guns are devices that cause small bits of metal to move at deadly speeds and for that are heavily restricted. Cars are devices that cause huge blobs of metal to move at deadly speeds and have no restriction whatsoever.

I'm not American, minimum driving age here is 18, I'm 25 and don't drive.
In most of the 'States it IS impossible to live a normal life without a car. it's a big country and stuff's just too far apart. Even if you live in a major city, the public transit probably sucks.

Also, cars have plenty of restrictions.

A Tasty Burger

Apr 16, 2010
Jacco said:
If you're too lazy to read all of that, basically I decided that 16 is too young to drive because I almost died the other day thanks to a stupid 16 year old girl.
You only almost died because it was a woman driver, not because the person was 16.

InsipidMadness

Mar 26, 2010
Jacco said:
I live in the states and it's a give and take. In terms of gender I won't take a side, being a male myself I have more complaints towards female drivers, but when I was young and in HS, I surveyed my senior class for a sociology project due to my bias of women being worse drivers. Found that the males and females of my class were equally as bad. Nonetheless, I will fill this with personal stories.

First off, where do you think the kids learn to drive? Parents. My mom used to ***** at me (in sign language) while driving a manual and possibly eating, with the added stress of driving somewhere late. Horrified from such an experience I refused to ever drive like that, most kids just copy that behavior. I'll admit I drove a little reckless when I was 16. Got my permit right at 15, didn't drive once until 16 and passed my drivers test the first time (barely because I didn't look obvious enough at a green intersection) and got a hand-me-down of a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am GT meaning it was a V6. Mainly sped, but I was within my lane and wasn't a nuisance. On the other hand I've seen women drive WHILE CHANGING CLOTHES being all over the place. I've seen far too much of the applying makeup or texting/calling while driving.

It's not that we're not ready, I was the first to get a license and I've been an efficient driver since and I'm able to confidently say I've driven for almost 6 years without any major accidents or fines. The simple mistakes have been made, learning me a lesson but not half as bad as stuff I've seen. Girl in my class got a brand new car when she got her license, totaled it within a week. Another girl was bragging about how she passed the test, and when she was describing how she hit a cone (which is an instant fail) i know she passed because she had a nice rack. The double standard for "beautiful people" has always existed but not enough people suffer consequence that alter their behavior in a positive manner. Therefore, we're all idiots.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I drove fine, my friends drove fine, my parents drove fine, and my grandparents learned to drive STICK SHIFT TRUCKS when they were TWELVE. So no, it is not too early. Anyone who's a bad driver at 16 would be a bad driver at 21 if they had to wait til then.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
OK, I'm extremely biased here, being a 17-year old who's gonna go on a highway after posting this, but in my experience much of the awkwardness of new drivers is inherent in beginning to drive, and fixing that is done through experience. My other teenage friends seem to be (largely) decent drivers who I generally trust (though to placate RAK, I'm talking by civilian standards, of course we'd have no idea what to do in a race).

Not that we haven't done stupid things on the road, mind (dog knows I've flatly disregarded things when alone at night, not to mention the occasional parking lot goof), and I know this is all anecdotal, I just wouldn't flat-out ban teens from driving (again, I'm highly biased here).

If you want to crack-down on texting-while-driving, on the other hand, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
I've been driving since I was 14.
But I live in western Nebraska. It's almost a necessity when nothing in within walking distance.

Apr 15, 2011
Dags90 said:
Lilani said:
This and This.

I can guarantee you OP, that there are tons of stupid, irresponsible drivers who are well over 16. I got my license at around 17 but drove just fine, so did a lot of people I knew at that age. I'm sure that girl in your situation will be doing things that are equally stupid when she gets older. Raising the driving age wouldn't really do anything for people who are simply idiots.

dertyqwerty

Jul 1, 2011
I'm an American, 19, still don't drive. I feel I'm not ready for the responsibility of it, and I'm too much of a space cadet.

I agree though that 16 is too young. Where I live in the U.S., it was legal only a few years ago to get your license at 14-and-a-half. I hate being in a car with other teenagers, I feel safer on a broken roller-coaster. Not all are bad, but the vast majority are.

I think the most dangerous habit is when people screw around on their iPod or whatever, trying to find a song. Drives me (no pun intended) insane when people do this, and I offer to find the song for them and they're like "Oh no I got it." The f**k you do. The only thing you're gonna get is a trip to the ER.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Stupid isn't a condition that disappears when you hit a certain age, stupid is a personality trait that stays with a person forever. Age is not a factor on whether or not the person is an idiot. Lots of people over the age of 21 do stupid things and get people killed as well. You're just being discriminatory because of one idiot. Maturity is not defined by a number and birthdays don't have magic decision improving powers.

TheAmerikahn

Aug 24, 2010
I'm 16 years old, the same age that I can hold a job at in the USA, i need a car to get to work and I'm a pretty decent driver already. Anyone hold it against me?