Poll: Internet friendship?

Lataziba

Oct 22, 2011
i only really have one friend i met and know over the internet. but because of this shes one of the closest friends i have ever made.

WoW can build friendships!

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
I view them as benefits for my desires, and they are always happy to oblige. Whether they want to be happy or not is something else though.

diebane

Apr 7, 2010
I picked "Yes", although I don't have any only-internet friends anymore. Either I know the person in real life and interact with him/her through the internet for convenience, or I've met the person online and he/she has gotten a real life friend over the time.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Yes, they are very important to me. I can talk more openly with my friends over the net, than the one I have IRL.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I've met a few of my online friends face to face. I do not regret either instance whatsoever. Both times went surprisingly well.

I don't look at whether or not they're internet friends or real friends. To me it's a bit more complex than that.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I have a number of online friends that are just as good, if not better, friends than some of my RL buddies. It's pretty rare for such bonds to form, but I've been playing MMOs and various other online games with the same group of people for 6+ years now, and we're all rather close.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
I would like more internet friends- but i'd see them more as long distance. I'm doing alright with my IRL friends until that time!

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
i used to have internet friends but i severed all ties when i realised that my real friends were the people that i belonged with

they are the people that absorb all my senseless noise and turn it into something constructive, i'd love to elaborate on such feelings but it's hard to put into words when such an odd puzzle piece such as myself fits into something.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Although I enjoy gaming with people online, they are still strangers, even if they are my friends. And I think they feel the same. If I stop playing a game, then whoever I played that game with I no longer see anymore. They go with the game I guess you could say. I don't try to stay in any particular contact with people from an old game I played.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
They're, y'know, actual people themselves. So, yes, they're kinda important.

And I won't name anyone, those bitches know who they are.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I don't have anywhere near as much online frinds as meatspace ones, but there are a couple I talk to nearly every day, so yes I'd absolutely consider them important. It does seem to be a rare thing for me though, when I say a couple I mean that literally: two people. But if I talk to them, and enjoy doing so, it'd be silly not to consider that an important friendship.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
A wise man once said that the best type of friend you could ever have is someone you can do absolutely nothing with and still have a great time.

By this definition it shouldn't matter if they are online or offline friends.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Some are just people I know, others are friends. Some I've talked to for years and due to it not being face to face I've told them some things I wouldn't tell offline friends.

chowderface

Nov 18, 2009
I'm much better friends with my internet friends than I am with my meatspace friends.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like all of them, I just don't know the in-person ones quite as well as I do the internet ones and we tend not to hang out as much.

Also, for the bulk of my life my parents have lived way out in the sticks, so A) before I moved out for college the internet was pretty much the only meaningful social interaction I got on a regular basis, and B) having moved back in with them after graduation while I try to find a job I'm back in the same boat because none of my friends are within driving distance, except the ones I met at college who I don't hang out with all that much.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
very much so ive had some of them since i was 14 years old and without them i would probably have been dead many years ago due to a severe depressive slump i was going through due to lonliness mixed in with other stuff.. i consider some of my internet friends some of my best friends i will ever have

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I have a few online friends who I like a lot, I think my friendship with them isn't as, uh, "full" as it is with my friends IRL. I know my real world friends a lot better than I do my online ones, even those I've been with for longer than some real world friends.

Also, this
Athinira said:
I've met many people who i knew online for a long time who suddenly turned out to be childish teenagers. It's very hard to judge people online.
It's very easy for an adolescent to seem to be mature and likable while shooting zombies / talking about ponies with you, but once you get to known them better outside the context of a video game / discussion board, things can change pretty quickly

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
My online friends used to be better friends than the ones i saw at school everyday. I could talk to them a lot easier.

Now i'm socially damned and don't talk to anyone really xD

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
I dont see why they cant be "real" friends. Given the tech we have to communicate these days 3000 miles is only 2 seconds lag. I have friends I have never met. I have standing invitations from several to visit.

I tend to find that with Friends I make on games that if one of both of us move away from the game the friendship breaks down, but even now I have people on my MSN and Facebook I met through Space Invasion and WoW. Even through LoL. We still comment on posts occasionally and ***** and moan about game related issues and our past addictions (Screw wow, anyone who has never played a game like Ogame or Space Invasion has NO IDEA what a game addiction is).

I even have one guy whom neither of us can recall how we have each other on MSN. Just that we do and we both like reading Fantasy and Sci Fy.

I know for a fact that several online communities have annual get togethers. They club up rent a hall and everyone flys in for a weekend. My old clan on CoD4 used to. As did the White Tower community and my Ogame Alliance Trouble With Tribbles.