Poll: Is Character Coustomization a Must for RPGs?

Trigger Happy

Nov 14, 2009
for me, it's not an absolute must but the words "character customization" are usually a very strong selling point with me (but then again I'm the kind of person who creates an entirely new theme for windows when I get bored of aero). It also depends on how deep it goes too, the more choices the better. fable 2? so few choices I almost wish there wasn't character customization. Armored core(pick a number)? I have yet to find an AC that looks like mine, and that's how it should be done.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
As far as I can tell, the more customization there is, the harder it is to make a game for it. For instance, having male or female options means that there has to be two people doing lines for that character. Face and clothing customization means that pre-rendered cutscenes are impossible. A customizable past and present creates a customizeable future, which means that the game will have to supply alternate endings instead of just one. In the end, that means that you could get all the customization you want, but at the cost of either getting a half-baked game, or waiting much longer for the well-done version. So, in the end, I wouldn't mind if Commander Shepard couldn't be a girl or had a single option for his childhood actions, as long as the game's many minor flaws were fixed.
want to knwot the great thing about all of that? it CAN be done. and when it is done, people will love that its there. to give one SMALL and not great example for the whole cutscenes thing. Lost planet 2, once you beat the game you could use any of your online characters and they are in the cutscenes. yes most of the time it was just funny to see them running around with a voice that didnt match. but it CAN work, CAN be done. :D and i sure as hell want to see more games where it IS done.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
At the least something basic like Baldur's Gate maybe?

Other than that I don't really think it's needed, who honestly cares about "Jaw Width"?

I'm looking at you, Fallout 3. With all that character creation no matter how hard you try you always end up with a damn ugly person.

Juk3n

Aug 14, 2010
i think it's absolutley a must in MMO's, and very fun in linear single player rpg's, Customizing my Shep enhanced my game, so it was a good thing. Running around in an MMO where 2200 other people used your face because there are only 4 other 'good-looking' ones takes away from my experience.

So yes, i value extensive character customization, and i din't stop at just faces, i want the customization moved into all visual areas,weapons/armor/accessories. The more chance of having a unique character the better. For RP purposes.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
It depends but for most, yes.

It allows the player to become more immersed in the game.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
i enjoy customising my character and when you can mess around with the stats(e.g. fallout/deus-ex).what i don't like is the tons of sliders they have that barely effect anything

further

Aug 18, 2010
Regardless on the number of options (unless of course, you're choosing from like, all of 3), I think character creation is necessary!
Creating my character is a breath of fresh air for me, something that you won't do again in the game (unless of course you're playing Fallout 3. See: Leaving vault, want to change anything? That was such a moodkill).

I guess it's also harder to roleplay with a character you don't develop yourself. I mean, sure you can be an asshole in real life, but who wants to put scars on their face and shave their head? In character creation, this is easy.

Plus, it's just like playing the Sims. I mean, who doesn't love the Sims!

steamweedlegoblin

Apr 28, 2010
In open world RPGs such as Oblivion or Fallout 3, character customization is important. It's a must have. You're not set on a pre-determined path. You don't have to ever touch the main quest if you so choose. If you have the ability to wander around and create your own story within the game, to not include character customization would be to cheapen the experience.

Games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, on the other hand, don't need it. You're following a set path and there's no way to get off of it. Yes you have some control over the flow of the story. You can do the missions in whatever order you choose and you can generally finish each mission in a "good" or "evil" way, but that's about all the control you have. Character customization isn't really needed because it doesn't significantly impact the story, which is why I am still surprised that there were so many customization options in Dragon Age.