Poll: Is Cracker a derogatory term? And can one be racist against white people?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
You can definitely be racist against anything.
I just don't take it personal if someone is racist against me.
Racism is like gambling, it's deeply rooted in the human psychology, and if you lack the education to circumvent the compulsions, then you become racist. This applies to all humans.
Racism is nothing to be angry about, it's something to pity.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yes the word is derogatory, just like the N-word is derogatory when used by non-blacks. When the word is being used to convey a negative connotation about a person, based on their skin color, it's derogatory.

And yes you can be racist against white people. Though some will get into a semantic debate that the word "racist" means institutionalized prejudice, and thus since we live in a "white" society, you can't be "racist" against white people. But you can sure as hell be bigoted and prejudiced against white people simply because of their skin color. To me, the terms are interchangeable, but some people are very particular about it.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
How come this life-saving advice video wasn't posted yet?

On a slightly more serious note, yeah, it looks like it's racist when applied to humans. Not like it matters much - word usage when choosing insults only says something about the speaker, after all, not about the targets.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
If cracker isn't racist even though it has heavy baggage with slavery then ****** isn't racist in spite of its heavy baggage with slavery.

Nobody who owned a slave in 19th century America lives to this day. Being a slave owner is considered a VERY immoral occupation and a negative reflection on one's character.

Might as well label someone a rapist... or a racist.

But hey, if I can call black folk ****** all I want then they can call white folk cracker all they want.

Either all racism is wrong or it's ALL debatable.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
1) It's absolutely possible to be racist towards white people.

2) Don't know how I feel about 'cracker'. It's clearly not as bad as '******', because nobody says 'the c-word' for cracker. But is it even an insult? "Ah yes, remind me more about how people of my colour used to own other people, nya ha ha!"

I dunno, but then again I'm English.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Aelinsaar said:
Loop Stricken said:

2) Don't know how I feel about 'cracker'. It's clearly not as bad as '******', because nobody says 'the c-word' for cracker. But is it even an insult? "Ah yes, remind me more about how people of my colour used to own other people, nya ha ha!"

I demand an apology on behalf of your people, Briton. Some of us poor American children spent our childhood imagining crumpets, hearing tell of their mystical powers to hold butter, jam, and some form of cream. Finally, finally... we land on some small Atlantic isle inhabited by pale strangers, and it turns out THEY'RE JUST PANCAKES! BIG... dull PANCAKES!

Sorry... sorry... totally not bitter about that little childhood experience.

Point being, how do you feel about "Crumpet" as a derogatory term?
But, crumpets are significantly different to pancakes.

As for 'crumpet' as a derogatory term, you'd have to ask an actual female about that.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
"And can one be racist against white people?"

Racism is the hate of someone based on their race. So yes you can be racist against white people. I very much experienced it first hand while living in the slums of Pittsburgh.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Technically it is a racist term, but since white people pretty much run everything. It can't help but just feel quaint and silly.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Aelinsaar said:
Loop Stricken said:
Aelinsaar said:
Loop Stricken said:

I demand an apology on behalf of your people, Briton. Some of us poor American children spent our childhood imagining crumpets, hearing tell of their mystical powers to hold butter, jam, and some form of cream. Finally, finally... we land on some small Atlantic isle inhabited by pale strangers, and it turns out THEY'RE JUST PANCAKES! BIG... dull PANCAKES!

Sorry... sorry... totally not bitter about that little childhood experience.

Point being, how do you feel about "Crumpet" as a derogatory term?
But, crumpets are significantly different to pancakes.

As for 'crumpet' as a derogatory term, you'd have to ask an actual female about that.
No no... not in that sense, not to women... I mean in the way that I'm a "Cracker". You can be a "Crumpet". It adds a nice symmetry IMO... two relatively bland starches...

...And you can't fool me with that picture! Lies, all lies covered in butter!
As an English person I take enormous offence to your slights upon crumpets, sir. If they are bland to you that is because you are cooking them improperly!

Toasted. With melted cheese. Food fit for a king.

Although...you mention butter, jam, cream...are you sure you're not thinking of scones? I've never heard of anyone putting jam and cream onto crumpets. If you are going to insult scones I might actually have to challenge you to a duel. :p

smartalec

Sep 12, 2008
Can you be racist against white people...? Well... yeah.

I can grasp the idea that "it doesnt matter, it's not as harmful", and I can see why people would think that, but isn't that beside the point? The point is, if you buy into that, then you've let YOUR thinking be compromised. You've failed to understand yourself and your own thoughts. You've fallen off the Eightfold Path at the first step. You have left wisdom behind. You see reality not as it is, but how you believe it to be, or how you have been convinced it is.

Forget about what racial discrimination might be doing to someone else for a moment, consider what buying into it is doing to you. Screwing with your own understanding of the world. It's a bad habit.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Aelinsaar said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ok did not work at all...
Because I saw your original attempt, and I respect it.

Ahah why yes, thankyou! I failed spectacularly at that attempt. Time for slinking off in shames

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Cracker doesn't have as much baggage as "******" or "*****", etc. so I don't know. Possibly? Though I've yet to find people using the term nervously in public.

It is possible to be racist to white people because racism is a mindset as defined by pre-judgement of another person based solely off of their genotype.