Poll: Is Half Life 2: Episode 3 / Half Life 3 the new Duke Nukem Forever?

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
So now the longest running gaming joke is finally over after 12 years. But has Half Life 3 received that status as well? It's been four years already with no announcements of anyone really making HL3 so I ask you people of the escapist is Half Life 3 the next Duke Nukem Forever? I know Valve is showing no signs of going the way of 3D Realms but they've been procrastinating on it for so damn long so I thought if I'd ask if that is the mindset of people. If you have any game that is more worthy of the title of the"never going to come out ever" award feel free to say so

SuperGauntlet

Jun 26, 2011
Uh... Not yet. I'd wait another year. But it has become somewhat of an in-joke, but it appears that VALVe is going to make an announcement about HL3 (they've said EP3 isn't coming) soon.. But you never know. Someone might make another GabeN joke and delay it another year.

fenderstrat

Aug 9, 2009
i get the feeling that they're probably building another engine for the next half life, as the source engine is getting pretty old. in any case, that takes time. but i dont think that its gonna be like DNF, valve seems pretty sure of what they're doing, unlike 3drealms

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
The DNF has evolved a bit from the joke it used to be, what with it actually being released (and flopping like a fat man in a wading pool.) HL2E3/HL3 has stepped in to fill the void.

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
Valve has seen this as an opportunity for sadistic comedic gold. DNF took 12 years, Valve might make it 20+ years to completion.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
if it is not annouced by E3 2012 then yes it will take the place of DNF in the never going joke. but this also rises the question is will it live up to the expectations when it come out. duke nukem has been in development for more then 10 years now and when it came out its was my case not completely worth the wait. only cause the anticipation for it died down alot. so they better release HLE3 soon while the anticipation is still hot.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
If by that you mean that it might take a long time, not yet.
If you mean as in finished product quality, this is Valve we're talking about.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
No. HL3 hasn't even been announced yet and there were people who preordered DNF 10 years ago. I think diablo 3 would fit that role a lot better, if wikipedia is to be trusted:
'Development on Diablo III began in 2001 when Blizzard North was still in operation. The original artistic design differed from that shown at Blizzard Worldwide Invitational 2008 demonstration, and had undergone three revisions before reaching the standards felt necessary by the team behind Diablo III.'

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
No, because Valve has given us NOTHING to ponder, yearn, or simply look at. The only thing that suggests this game is even real is the way Episode 2 ended. And if Valve does announce its release date, I'm not going to believe it. I refuse to believe anything about the next Half Life game until it is in my home, in my system, and I am playing it.

Sincerely,

An exhausted and disappointed fan.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
kasperbbs said:
No. HL3 hasn't even been announced yet and there were people who preordered DNF 10 years ago. I think diablo 3 would fit that role a lot better, if wikipedia is to be trusted:
'Development on Diablo III began in 2001 when Blizzard North was still in operation. The original artistic design differed from that shown at Blizzard Worldwide Invitational 2008 demonstration, and had undergone three revisions before reaching the standards felt necessary by the team behind Diablo III.'
Thats true Diablo would be next in line. but in my opinion at least we have video's and screen shots from diablo 3. HL3 on the other hand a screenshot would be nice at least give us a sign on progress

Olyver

Apr 30, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
If you mean as in finished product quality, this is Valve we're talking about.
Agreed. And as far as wait time look at the response time for portal 2, (ie not long) valve ships the game when its ready.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
No mainly because HL:ep3 does not adopt the same mechanics has duke... The character of Gordon Freeman is timeless because he is the player.. his silent adapt to the player, so that he can create his own personnality into the character... the only thing we know is that gordon is a brave and intelligent man, and a savior/ beacon of hope to humanity...

The game doesnt resort to constant pop culture references... like never... (maybe here and there, but has in easter eggs and extremely rare).

Its a story of mistery, and hope, underneath political corruption with a alien invasion at hand.... not a corky, sexist you are the king of everything king of game, with used up jokes, and constant boot-licking on every single NPC part....

So if you ask me: Will HL2:EP3 be the new Duke?... no... not by a long shot or in a million of years... and even if it sucks.... not has much has duke...

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
It's only been, what, four years? Half-Life 2 took about six, and Duke Nukem twice that; it hasn't been that long, especially if what they're making is a full-length game and not just an Episode. Anything in the realm of two to five years is a perfectly reasonable development time for a game, especially considering Valve's tendency to constantly reiterate things based on play-testing, which is a price that must be paid for a developer unhindered by pushy investors. The reason it feels so long is because they simply haven't given us anything besides maybe a couple early pieces of concept art, and they likely won't announce anything until the game is practically done and ready to ship. I'd put my money on us getting some sort of announcement by the end of this year, so just be patient until then. That is, unless they don't actually announce anything by then, in which case bring out the pitchforks because they've gone over that reasonable five year mark and must be punished.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Not in a long shot, Valve just probably is making the game as best they can. Their engine is dated so I bet its getting an upgrade. And they said how now every game will have so sort of multiplayer so that might add some time.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
No! Because unlike DNF, Half-Life 2:Episode 3 is going to kick ass and isn't taking this long for dev issues.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I think Valv[sub]E[/sub] is just gonna blow our minds one random day and shout, "OH BY THE WAY, HERE IT IS!" and then BAM! It'll be out. And I suspect that day is closer than we realize. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they waited to show it off at convention.

Either that, or they're already done the game, and they're just sitting around now scheming about the funniest way to release it.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
I just realized something. Valve never really did announce Episode 3 or any Half-Life game, have they? In all honesty (and despite my love of the first two games (not so much the expansion packs and episodes)) I've kinda forgotten about episode 3/HL3. Maybe that's a good thing.

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
The Shade said:
I think Valv[sub]E[/sub] is just gonna blow our minds one random day and shout, "OH BY THE WAY, HERE IT IS!" and then BAM! It'll be out. And I suspect that day is closer than we realize. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they waited to show it off at convention.

Either that, or they're already done the game, and they're just sitting around now scheming about the funniest way to release it.
I swear if they just make no marketing for it whatsoever and just plop it on store shelves waiting for people to figure out it's out. that would be diabolical. Especially after the huge L4D marketing campaign.