Poll: Is it better to have a cool job, or a well-paying job?

Jun 16, 2010
So, here's something I've been considering a lot lately.
My Master's course is starting in about a week, and it's in the rare, extremely sought-after field of computer forensics. At some point in my career, possibly pretty soon, I'm going to have to choose whether to go into the private sector, as a civilian consultant, or the public sector, as law enforcement. As a corporate forensic consultant you can quite easily make a six-figure salary, which to me is an astonishingly large amount; however, I've always wanted to be a Special Agent in the FBI, or do intelligence/investigative work for the NSA or CIA.
Mostly because it sounds badass, which is pretty much the sole criterion upon which I base all my important life decisions =P

I'm just using myself as an example, however.
My question is more general: do you think you would prefer to have a job that you feel is challenging/fun/fulfilling/cool/important, or one that may be a bit boring but brings in lots of money to spend on the stuff you really enjoy (like, say, being able to afford a day-one purchase of any game that strikes your fancy)?

Captcha: I WANT CONTROL

Ohhh shit.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
A happy, fulfilling job for me every time...

If I have to spend half of my waking life doing something, I better damned well enjoy it.

Naturally any job which could really be considered fulfilling is likely to pay for the things I need anyway.

Jun 16, 2010
Raven said:
A happy, fulfilling job for me every time...

If I have to spend half of my waking life doing something, I better damned well enjoy it.

Naturally any job which could really be considered fulfilling is likely to pay for the things I need anyway.
I'd be inclined to agree. However, I keep thinking about all the things I could do if I had lots of money. Like, buy a nicer house for my parents, or invest in an indie game company that I think has potential, or finance any other creative projects I think sound cool. I love the idea of helping creative people get off the ground.

As an FBI Agent, however, I wouldn't have the time or money for any of that...

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
I would go for the job I enjoy, or go for the high pay job till I get sick of it THEN go for the fun job, and if it doesn't exist I'll MAKE it exist by throwing all my piles of money at the problem!

I have a very simple mind :p

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
I'd say do a job you enjoy. However, just because a job sounds bad-ass doesn't mean you'll enjoy it particularly, it could turn out to have tedious elements. I'm not saying don't do it, but just be aware that they might be there so it doesn't come as a disappointment later.

The worst thing you can do is spend your whole life wishing you made the other choice.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I went for the first option. If what you do is shitty, you'll get used to it in time. If what you do is enjoyable, the fact that you have to do it constantly in an institutional setting will suck all the fun out of it. At least if the shitty job pays well, you can justify it by telling yourself that at least you'll be able to travel when you take time off, or retire sooner. Or buy shitloads of alcohol.

Jun 16, 2010
ClockworkPenguin said:
However, just because a job sounds bad-ass doesn't mean you'll enjoy it particularly, it could turn out to have tedious elements. I'm not saying don't do it, but just be aware that they might be there so it doesn't come as a disappointment later.
I don't think there's any job in existence that doesn't have tedious elements. In fact, I think that's the defining characteristic of a job: if it was something that was fun all the time, it'd be something you pay to do, rather than get paid to do.

Another angle I've been considering is whether a job that requires a lot of creative thinking will leave me burned out for my hobbies. Even if my job is fun, I'd hate to be totally consumed by it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I think it depends on the person and where they're at in their life:

For example, I am a 26 year old who owes approx. $70,000 in student loans living in a studio apartment that I could spit across. I don't hate my current job but I wouldn't exactly call it my dream job and I'm getting paid shit for it :)

In my current predicament, I would adore getting a job I wouldn't care about in order to make fat stacks of cash. About 3/4 of my stresses in life would be eliminated if I had some more cash.

*I chose option #1 by-the-way

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I say it depend on your career and on that person. I mean I assume people with creative talents would want freedom in their job as oppose to being force to make/ draw something but it paid alot for it. However maybe that person want to do that.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
It depends on many factors such as those mentioned by tippy above. If you are financially secure (i.e. no debt and have a good amount saved up), then you have the luxury of saying that you'd rather have a cool job. If money is a big concern for you, then you're probably more willing to put up with crap if it means getting paid well.

Personally, I think you need to have a fulfilling job. There's nothing as satisfying work-wise as heading home in the evening knowing you did well that day. Otherwise, you're just living in a perpetual cycle of dreading the hours at your job, regardless of how well you're being paid.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Once you've gotten to the point where you're financially secure enough that money stops being a major concern, then getting more money will not make you happier. Therefore, I say go with the job that you will enjoy more. Spending eight hours a day doing something I don't enjoy just because I get paid for it does not sound like something I would want to do for a majority of my life.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Keoul said:
I would go for the job I enjoy, or go for the high pay job till I get sick of it THEN go for the fun job, and if it doesn't exist I'll MAKE it exist by throwing all my piles of money at the problem!

I have a very simple mind :p
I think this is pretty good advise. You would like the fbi one because you think you will enjoy it, but will you enjoy it substantially more than the high paying one? It's quite a lot easier to get hired at any age by the government than by a company.
And while cool doesnt really enter into my calculations, I'll take a fulfilling job over a well paying one, but I won't endanger my finances. I think it's very context sensitive. In your case, I think you should do what you want.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
An occupation is a means of obtaining money, nothing more.
The money earned is then spent on the things one enjoys.
Choosing a job because it seems enjoyable is not the way to do it, because eventually all jobs become mundane and repetitive. Choosing based on income is more wise, as you'll be securing your future financial stability.
So, I chose the first option.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
A balance between the two. There are a number of jobs I'd rather be doing over programming. But those jobs are hard to come by and pay almost nothing. My work is only one part of my life, and having a well-paid job means I can live in a nicer flat, play video games, keep pets, and all those other things that take up money.

That said, if all I cared about was money, I could have become an accountant and be earning a hell of a lot more than I am now. Programming is something I have a passion for. It's not my greatest passion, but it strikes the right balance for me.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
It really depends on how well you can hold your nerve when it comes to boredom.

As for myself, I can hold it, as long as the pay is worth the lack of excitement.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Raven said:
brings in lots of money to spend on the stuff you really enjoy (like, say, being able to afford a day-one purchase of any game that strikes your fancy)?
You can do that with a pretty mediocre job, the only issue is the rest of your life. If you're single, good with managing your money and live somewhere that isn't unnecessarily expensive, it's not hard to get by on just about any income, and any job that you love is a keeper.

The only reason I'd ever consider taking a higher paying job over one that I loved is if I was starting a family, or otherwise had people other than myself depending on me financially.

Fimbulvetr3822

A line, held
May 8, 2012
I suppose a balance would be best, TBH i have never given it much thought though. I have my dream job and it pays great (more than 4 times the national average for my age and educational level). 24, dream job, no debts, life is good :D

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Depends a lot from person to person. For me I want to feel like I am doing something important and of course I need money to live but being bored 9hours a day ain't gonna cut it. So I want an interesting job as long as the salary is even so-so.
That's the reason I am in the place I am at the moment.