Poll: Is it better...

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
...To be uncomfortably cold or uncomfortably hot?

I've known a lot of people who have surprisingly different tolerances to hot and cold, and I suppose I shouldn't find it that strange, but I do.

I don't really have a preference myself other than not liking the feeling of being sweaty because it irritates my skin.

The heat itself isn't particularly odious though.

You guys? Bonus points for detailed descriptions of your humidity tolerance.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
Cold. Cold is better in every way, it can be fixed by going somewhere warm, or dressing properly, there are no bugs, no stickyness, no nothing. It is my dream to see summer abolished one day as it is too damn hot. Constant Winter would bring world peace and fix all the worlds problems, because being hot is really shitty compared to being cold.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I think it depends on how extreme the heat/cold is tbh.

If we can't affect the temperature with objects/activities (Like putting on a coat or swimming in a pool) I'd go with uncomfortably hot.

Although I think even if we could affect the temperature with outside help, I'd still go with too hot. I really dislike the cold, and I have a weird fear of slipping over on ice/snow. So I tend to fear going outside whenever it snows. Plus it'd be cheaper on my bills because I wouldn't have to turn the heating on...

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I have experienced both and I can safely say that I'd rather be uncomfortably cold rather than uncomfortably hot. If you're too cold you can always put on more clothes (even if it's super uncomfortable and a pain in the ass) but if you're too hot you can't just go out naked or close to naked when (for instance) you have a meeting.
I guess in the end both are really uncomfortable as fuck.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Hot for me as I am fed up with the cold temperature!

In saying so I guessing I am a weaksauce when you compared to Britian cold weather to the likes of Cananda or further up North!

Before you accuse me of not truely experiencing hot weather, I know how hot it can be at the State when I went to Disney World and China and Hong Kong during Easter.

I find it easier to stay cool than it is to stayed warm!!! I get to drink nice cold drink, have ice cream, put the fan on and going to bed without the blanket. Trying to stay warm is easier said than done thank to the heating bill which means I can't put the heating on all the time. I also hate getting small lump on my finger and toes thank to the cold exposure! Even taking a hot bath during the cold winter is not a good experience as after taking a bath only make me feel more cold!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
viscomica said:
I have experienced both and I can safely say that I'd rather be uncomfortably cold rather than uncomfortably hot. If you're too cold you can always put on more clothes (even if it's super uncomfortable and a pain in the ass) but if you're too hot you can't just go out naked or close to naked when (for instance) you have a meeting.
White Lightning said:
Cold. Cold is better in every way, it can be fixed by going somewhere warm, or dressing properly, there are no bugs, no stickyness, no nothing. It is my dream to see summer abolished one day as it is too damn hot. Constant Winter would bring world peace and fix all the worlds problems, because being hot is really shitty compared to being cold.
Both of you are saying you prefer the cold because yuo can get warm. But the entire point of this poll--as far as I can gather--is what's worst of actually being uncomfortably hot or cold, so it ruins the questions if you imagine yourself wearing clothes that mean you're not uncomfortable.

Or to phrase the question as I think it was meant: What's worst of being too cold and not being able to fix it and being too warm and not being able to fix it?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'd rather be in pain and barely able to move than feeling sticky, sweating, wishing for the world to end, barely able to think, and sod small wildlife.

Then again, I metaphorically burst into flames when it rises above 10C so, yeah.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
Queen Michael said:
viscomica said:
White Lightning said:
Both of you are saying you prefer the cold because yuo can get warm. But the entire point of this poll--as far as I can gather--is what's worst of actually being uncomfortably hot or cold, so it ruins the questions if you imagine yourself wearing clothes that mean you're not uncomfortable.

Or to phrase the question as I think it was meant: What's worst of being too cold and not being able to fix it and being too warm and not being able to fix it?
I'd pick cold, and then I'd go warm myself up. I don't care about OPs rules, I do what I want.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'd rather be too cold. Too hot and I get panicky and restless. Cold is unpleasant, but that's all.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Queen Michael said:
so it ruins the questions if you imagine yourself wearing clothes that mean you're not uncomfortable.
Unfortunately without conditions that question is worthless. Would you rather be uncomfortable or uncomfortable?

The reason people might prefer cold to heat, or visa versa, is the conditions that surround both. And on that note, I pick cold, because as people have said, it's a hell of a lot easier to warm up during a cold snap than to cool down during a heat wave.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Cold. It gives me a excuse to wrap myself in blankets. I can't deal with days that are too hot and in Ireland really hot days signal that the Midges will be out in full force. So then I have a choice, either bake with the window closed or open it and be devoured by hundreds of tiny insects.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Queen Michael said:
Yes, that.

BloatedGuppy said:
No, that's why I find it so strange. People usually answer the question and then add the qualifiers later, as if one form of uncomfortableness was significantly less bearable than the other without remedy.

I suppose previous experience, body type, metabolism, and everything all work to make you more or less susceptible to being over cold or hot, but now you're making me put too much thought into this.

Thanks, thanks guppy, you're making me think. I already made the lazy thread because I was too lazy to gush about fallout lore and now you want me to apply logic to the subjective and variable experience of temperature?

Why don't I link that study I read on how diabetes and stocky body types may have evolved among Northern Europeans and Inuits as an adaptation to cold climates while I'm at it!

*flips table in mock anger*

White Lightning said:
I'd pick cold, and then I'd go warm myself up. I don't care about OPs rules, I do what I want.
I mean, derailments are usually more fun anyway... just don't tell the mods I said that >.>

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Shivering is much better than sweating, being sticky, smelly and gross.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
White Lightning said:
This; all of it. Stylish coats all year 'round? No bugs? Never being sticky? Shackle Summer to the back of an ATV and drag it through the woods.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Yeah gonna go with cold as I have a good tolerance for cold but not for heat. Like 20 degrees is already sweating like a pig weather and 30 degrees is me not even leaving my airco's side. Uncomfortably hot would be me complaining that I can't take of more clothes because I'm already butt naked. Plus I'd have little energy to do anything as the heat just saps my strength.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Cold. You can always put more clothes on, but you can only get so naked before the police show up.