Poll: Is it 'cool' to use Internet Explorer yet?

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
Firefox and Chrome are still at the top. I don't think i have used Internet Explorer for god knows how long.

JMPease21

Jun 11, 2010
reason I don't use Internet Explorer:
I'm a web designer as for every css or html element that works with all other browsers, there's an error with IE. So then I have to rewrite my code to include a workaround, exception or a good old fashioned "blahblah" to fix it.
I can't just ignore IE because it still has a strong % of users. :(

so yea anyone who makes web apps/sites will tell you that IE can die in a fire.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
It was never cool to use IE. But for me I'm kinda back and forth between Chrome and Firefox. They're both good for certain things but sucky for others.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Gxas said:
It was never "uncool" to use IE. The problem with it was that it had gaping security holes in it that other web browsers don't have. Hence why I've never gotten a virus on either of my computers and my friend has had to wipe her computer three times now in less than a year. She runs more virus protection than I do (I use no active scanners and rarely run malwarebytes). In fact, the only difference between the two of us is that I use Chrome and she uses IE.

You can use whatever browser you want. Just don't question and whine when your computer is infected due to your choice.

(Mind, I haven't looked at IE9 at all, they may have fixed it all, but I will never touch the thing ever again.)
Basically this. It's not a question of if it's cool- it's a question of if it's good.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
smearyllama said:
Squid94 said:
Am I the only one using Opera?

I used to be on Firefox, but it was too slow. As was IE before that.

Can I transfer my data?
Not entirely sure. When I made the switch to Opera, I didn't immediately see a method by which I could bring all my bookmarks over too, so ended up building bookmarks and other preferences again from the ground up.

Chainsaw_Chuck

Dec 7, 2010
Although I've been using IE for as long as I can remember I'd still have to say no.

I swaped over to IE9 around the week it came out and immediately wanted to change back. The only problem I have is that the tabs and the address bar are right beside each other. The aesthetics are nice though. I really like the new look, besides the whole address bar stuff obviously.

GalacticNexus

Feb 10, 2011
I don't think so, it still has the stigma of being riddled with security flaws and such (I'm not sure whether they've been fixed yet).
I use Chrome myself and have since beta. I prefer it's speed and streamlined design.

Byrn Stuff said:
I use it for most of my browsing and only revert to IE/Firefox when some site (I'm looking at you, Lotus iNotes) doesn't support other browsers.
Protip: Download the IE Tab extension. It allows you to open what is essentially an IE emulator inside a Chrome tab if a website is buggy in other browsers.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
ok, if they actually break the explorer from the operating system (which will fix 1/2 of their primary security problems), then they may be ok
until then, im staying with my chrome (especially since i have my chrome notebook and chrome on my desktop syncs with it)

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
Does internet explorer quote star trek when it crashes? No? Then Chrome is better. Seriously Chrome saying "He's dead Jim" when it stops working actually makes up for it crashing for me. Which is very rare.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
I dunno, but Chrome and Firefox are damn slow for me at the moment. I keep getting that 'Kill Pages' message.
Sounds like a Page files problem. You might want to head to their forums and ask how to lower the chance of that message popping up.

@OP: Anything is better than IE6.

Everything >IE6

I use Firefox 4.

IE9. Eh... just another browser just like Chrome.

Gurppa

Jul 22, 2009
Squid94 said:
Aelrath said:
Squid94 said:
Am I the only one using Opera?
I use opera :3 Works flawlessly.
Agreed! That's why I've settled on it.
Yes, using opera myself. It's not really a "feature fight", there are some differences. But I use opera because of personal preference.

kortin said:
I use firefox. I don't like IE at all. With the security holes and all that, its much safer to use a different web browser. My friend is constantly needing to run virus scans and all that because he refuses to use a different browser for some unknown reason.
actually, IE9 doesn't really have THAT big security holes. That's what people have got stuck in their mind from the old days.

AngryMongoose said:
Get evidence to me of increased security and stability, then I'll consider it.
Again, not THAT big security holes in IE9. 99% of the times you can avoid it by using your brain while surfing the net.

Thaliur said:
I've been using IE (again) since version 8, because I was fed up with Firefox occupying about 80% of my RAM, especially on my netbook, starting slowly and crashing. It didn't crash often, but more often than IE, and when it crashed, it took all the tabs with it.

Also, IE uses a Win7 security feature no other browser uses (as far as I know). When IE8+ is running on a Win7 PC, it runs with lower permissions than a standard user, not quite sandboxed, but with highly restricted read/write permissions. AdBlock is integrated as well (called "Tracking Protection". Just have it use the right block lists and your web pages are clean.

IE starts a lot quicker than Firefox and offers jumplist functions (but maybe these two problems got fixed in FF4).

And: Silverlight is awesome, and doesn't feel as fluid in FF. Let alone Safari (which I - embarassingly - actually used until I realised that "Apple" folders kept popping up all across both my harddisks)
Firefox crashing, don't know. Atleast Flash crashes in firefox. in my experience it's slower to start up also.

Chatney said:
Speaking as a web designer and developer, all versions of IE should die this very instant and never return.
Yes, especially with the older versions. if using correct CSS you can avoid most if not all problems with IE.

JMPease21 said:
reason I don't use Internet Explorer:
I'm a web designer as for every css or html element that works with all other browsers, there's an error with IE. So then I have to rewrite my code to include a workaround, exception or a good old fashioned "blahblah" to fix it.
I can't just ignore IE because it still has a strong % of users. :(

so yea anyone who makes web apps/sites will tell you that IE can die in a fire.
There's always the option to send them to a page or show a notice that the web page doesn't either work in IE or simply that that it might show up better on other browsers.

My list of opinions:
- Firefox:
Works, gets the job done. starts up slowly especially for me [I load up maybe 10 tabs when I start up my browser]. Sometimes flash crashes.
- Chrome:
Great browser, fast enough, I only use it for *Cough* special *cough* sites though. Could be another choice for my #1 browser.
- Internet Explorer:
Never liked it. Starts up kind of slow, tabbed browsing is still not as enjoyable in IE as in the other browsers. Sure, some security holes, but they can be avoided by not going on stupidly suspicious sites. Also, Avast! will end connection if you're about to go on a site with viruses or something similar.
- Opera:
My #1 choice for browsers. Very customizable. Just works. Loads fairly quickly, lovely speed panel. Includes almost everything you'll need.

Round-up: Use whatever floats your boat, they're all good.
My wish: IE should die in a fire. Or Microsoft should just stop being stupid.
stupid filters in IE. Why don't you just use Opacity/text-shadow etc. like all other browsers? It would be okay if it would be something unique that just IE has, but no, it's in every browser. Every other browser uses one way, but IE wants to do it's own thing. That's just stupid! you're punishing the developers who make websites! If only we could skip the damn thing. For personal projects, I always show a warning for people with IE like "It seems you are using Internet Explorer. The page you are entering may not show up properly *LINK: Continue anyway*"

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
I had to vote 'yes' since there's no 'this only applies to me' option.

IE rules. Especially when I'm using it.

~tom

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I use Opera like a boss. Oh, and IE will never be cool. Its okay to use I suppose but it reminds of like that father browser thats still sticking to the old ways and now is trying to be like the young kids because its going through a mid life crises now.

I do like IE somewhat as I did use it for a good time, I didn't care for chrome and firefox was slow.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
ash-brewster said:
maturin said:
bibblles said:
The browser bars are slimmer than Chrome
Oh, then it must be better. Firefox pissed me off with its latest update. I need a fucking home button, geniuses. And I should be able to put it wherever I want.
Protip: Firefox 4 has both a home button and the option to place them where you want on the browser bar.

Right click the browser bar and click customize. You can add whatever buttons you want and drag them around to where you prefer.
I know. But I don't know what they were smoking when they decided to make them disappear by default. I can do that on my own, but then I had to hunt around the new interface when I wanted to check my email. And it still won't go where it was pre-update.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
Internet Explorer is the number 1 browser for downloading a better browser.

Firefox has its addons, which makes it the best browser.

Alavar91

The guy who rarely posts.
Aug 5, 2009
I personally use Google Chrome, never had any trouble with it and in my opinion its prettier to look at. Haven't used IE in a good 4 years I think.