Poll: Is it 'cool' to use Internet Explorer yet?

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
So, got an update for windows to upgrade Internet Explorer to IE9. And from what I've seen it looks pretty tight and refined. The browser bars are slimmer than Chrome, and its (for me) free of the countless add on browser bars that it had years ago.

So bearing in mind it seems to be actually on par with Chrome (which I'm using now), is it 'cool' to use Internet Explorer 9 now? Or is it just the same old Internet Exploder that we all used to hate.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I dunno, but Chrome and Firefox are damn slow for me at the moment. I keep getting that 'Kill Pages' message.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Firefox is the one for me.
If you wanna use IE thats great but im not sure it'll ever lose its uncool

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
It was never "uncool" to use IE. The problem with it was that it had gaping security holes in it that other web browsers don't have. Hence why I've never gotten a virus on either of my computers and my friend has had to wipe her computer three times now in less than a year. She runs more virus protection than I do (I use no active scanners and rarely run malwarebytes). In fact, the only difference between the two of us is that I use Chrome and she uses IE.

You can use whatever browser you want. Just don't question and whine when your computer is infected due to your choice.

(Mind, I haven't looked at IE9 at all, they may have fixed it all, but I will never touch the thing ever again.)

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
The only thing that's "uncool" is caring what other people think. Personally I still don't like IE9 because it just feels like it's trying to copy the other browsers. But to each their own.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I don't know if it's "cool" to use IE, but I do know that both Chrome and Firefox hate my computer with a passion so for me IE actually works.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I'm just going to act under the assumption that it still has massive security holes in it and stick with Firefox as it hasn't given me any issues and since I've gotten 4.0 it isn't slow at all.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
That's what I use, I like the tabs on the toolbars. Also Firefox won't allow me on this site or any other for some reason.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Gxas said:
It was never "uncool" to use IE. The problem with it was that it had gaping security holes in it that other web browsers don't have. Hence why I've never gotten a virus on either of my computers and my friend has had to wipe her computer three times now in less than a year. She runs more virus protection than I do (I use no active scanners and rarely run malwarebytes). In fact, the only difference between the two of us is that I use Chrome and she uses IE.

You can use whatever browser you want. Just don't question and whine when your computer is infected due to your choice.

(Mind, I haven't looked at IE9 at all, they may have fixed it all, but I will never touch the thing ever again.)
Exactly this. IE was always less secure than other browsers, and I've had to fix my sisters computer numerous times because she refuses to use Firefox and gets viruses that would otherwise be blocked from firefox. Its nothing to do with being cool, although it annoys me that IE totally ripped the new tabs idea...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So i hear the cool kids use Chrome. I'll stick to the browser ive been using for what seems to be a decade now, firefox. mf4 is pretty much a complete rip of Chrome anyways. I'd get it if the Free Download Manager Add-on actually worked with MF4, still on 3.6 atm :p

So no, its never cool to use the default browser. whether it has anything to do with utility, the answer is no. Cool is never about function (or rarely)! XD

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
No, because I can't get it to work and neither can my friends. That's the main issue with IE. No matter how impressive it's features may be, it's probably going to do fuck all due to it just being naturally bad.

Hence why people go for Chrome, Firefox or any other browser out there; Because they work and not only get the job done, but get it done well.

Calumon: Why have bread that's all wet and mushy when you can have bread that's warm and yummy! :D

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Yup, IE9 is not bad. Is it cool? I don't think so, but it depends at least partly on where you are. In the U.S. Chrome seems to be the "cool" browser at the moment. In mainland Europe I hear Firefox is all the rage.

But you hit on something that's of interest to me atm because I recently started doing web development, and the "uncoolness" of IE seems to be an incredibly strong feeling amongst web developers even though the browser is actually just fine from a development perspective. I suspect that the hate for IE comes from Microsoft's past attempts to illegally monopolise the internet rather than any technical deficiencies with their current browser, but I find it annoying when techies attempt to spread their dislike of the former by dressing it up as the latter. /rant off

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I often use IE or at least I try to, but lately it seems half the websites I visit don't want to work correctly on it(escapist being one of them).

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
IE's fine to use, even more so with IE9.

Thus far, I've had zero issues with it, and honestly, now, it loads pages much faster than Firefox once I get over the initial slow boot.

Kizo

Jul 5, 2008
It never was and never will be cool to use IE.

That said, it doesn't matter. As long as you aren't using horribly outdated versions of IE with ridiculous security flaws, use what you like. I use Pale Moon.

Byrn Stuff

Nov 16, 2009
When IE was the most common browser, it was all I knew. Then I discovered Firefox, which seemed more stable. If I'm being completely honest, it was that Firefox supported tabbing (a then unheard of feature in IE) and add-ons. Stability, novelty, and adaptability are what sold me on it. Then Chrome came along, and I wanted to try something new, and I liked how streamlined it seemed. I use it for most of my browsing and only revert to IE/Firefox when some site (I'm looking at you, Lotus iNotes) doesn't support other browsers.

Aelrath

May 1, 2009
Squid94 said:
Am I the only one using Opera?
I use opera :3 Works flawlessly.
As for the question at hand, it has never been cool or smart to use IE and it never shall be.

magicpokey

Jul 27, 2010
Internet explorer: The coolest browser for downloading another browser.

Someone had to say it...