Poll: Is it ok to emulate a game if you own it?

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Recently I was reminiscing about one of my favourite games of all time: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I've been considering replaying it for the umpteenth time and perhaps making a Let's Play out of it. And that's where my problem lies. My capture card would be incapable of recording Gamecube footage, but I could record a PC emulation. I own both the game and a gamecube/Wii, and it plays. The topic also led me to thinking: what if you owned a classic game and wanted to play it on the go on your smart phone? What do you guys think? I'm not really asking for a legal perspective, I'm looking for your opinions on the topic. And this would be for any situation where you want to play a game, not just for recording.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I know you didn't ask for the legality, but this is from Nintendo's website
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
Source [http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp]

However, you'll find most people will say that there isn't a problem and that you would be morally in the clear. And although it is considered illegal, it is incredibly unlikely that you will be prosecuted for it.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Mmmm doing LPs might get a bit iffy as it's still illegal I would think. I don't think anybody will really make a huge deal of it but you never know.

wabbbit

Jun 15, 2011
It's a grey area. It's not 100% illegal to use them if you own a copy of the game in the same way it's technically OK to make "backup" copies of your games.

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
Wouldn't you be legally safe if you made your own ROM/image/whatever from your own copy? I'm just asking; I'm not sure.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Alien Mole said:
Wouldn't you be legally safe if you made your own ROM/image/whatever from your own copy? I'm just asking; I'm not sure.
Depends what you use that copy for and even that is a legally muddy area. And it all differs from country to country.

For example, though I could be mistaken about this, under Belgian law I am allowed to have a second copy of a copyrighted work, but I have to make it myself for the exception to apply i.e. I can't download one from the internet. Also, the second copy is only for personal use, so it's probably doubtful that using it to make LP's is still legally in the clear.

Morally, I have no problems with it though. So long as you don't make any profit of it, you can churn out backups of a game you own all you like. I have done so with some of my older, more valuable games, so it would be hypocritical of me to claim otherwise.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Strictly speaking it's only legal if you made the copy you own work with the emulator.

But morally there is nothing wrong with getting backups of a game you bought and playing them in any format you desire, or procuring a game that is no longer sold.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with this personally, but then again i don't find anything wrong with pirating AAA games (Those bastards won't get my money while they try to charge me $100 for a dam game) all comes down to personal opinion.

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
In your case I would say it's fine, but I would just buy a better capture card. Gamecube/Wii emulation requires a pretty fast PC (a good core i5 processor) already, so recording it at full speed would require a PC that's probably out of your price range if you didn't want to buy a new capture card.

My (probably wrong) opinion on emulation as a whole is that if you can't get the game by any other means then just emulate it. If the company was worried about people pirating the games then they wouldn't have discontinued the product and made it difficult to find. Besides, unless they have made it available for digital purchase, they aren't going to be making/losing any money regardless of how you acquire it.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I see no problem with emulating if I own the game and the necessary hardware to play it normally.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Legal? Probably not but fuck it, they already have your monnies.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
ubersyanyde said:
My (probably wrong) opinion on emulation as a whole is that if you can't get the game by any other means then just emulate it. If the company was worried about people pirating the games then they wouldn't have discontinued the product and made it difficult to find. Besides, unless they have made it available for digital purchase, they aren't going to be making/losing any money regardless of how you acquire it.
So many games are left commercially unavailable but the companies that own the IP refuse to let them see the light of day while openly acknowledging that they do not want you pirating it. For this reason I hold your sentiment.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
NickBrahz said:
I don't see anything wrong with this personally, but then again i don't find anything wrong with pirating AAA games (Those bastards won't get my money while they try to charge me $100 for a dam game) all comes down to personal opinion.
I agree that games can be way to expensive but it does not matter if you agree with the price or not, you cannot justify stealing the game. I think Aston Martin's are overpriced but that dosen't mean I can go out and steal one.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
If you've paid for it before then who cares? The legality of it is a grey area but the morality is strongly in your favour. Fuck the greedy corporate bastards, you've paid for their success in the past so they should acknowledge that and back off

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I won't go into the legality as it seems to have already been covered, however I'll mention that if your capture card lacks the traditional composite video input you can get a HDMI adaptor for your Wii for less than $20 (see here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wii-HDMI-480p-Converter-Adapter-Wii2hdmi-3-5mm-Audio-Box-Wii-link-White-/230757818086?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item35ba3cdee6 ). I've got one myself and it works superbly...comes up way more crisp than the standard cables (technically the Wii also supports component cables which this device emulates and then immediately converts to HDMI so there isn't any visual degradation (or as little as possible) from interference with the old analogue signals). So that'll work if your capture card has HDMI or DVI input (though I recommend using the 3.5mm jack for the sound if possible as the converted HDMI audio isn't that great).

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Gizmo1990 said:
NickBrahz said:
I agree that games can be way to expensive but it does not matter if you agree with the price or not, you cannot justify stealing the game. I think Aston Martin's are overpriced but that dosen't mean I can go out and steal one.
Why steal it when you can rent it for next to nothing? Most top titles cost me £2.50 to play, finish and discard and the game publishers don't get all of that so i laugh at piracy and exposing yourself to criminal proceedings, aswell at EA trying to destroy the second hand market.

I have the legal way to fuck them all!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
wabbbit said:
It's a grey area. It's not 100% illegal to use them if you own a copy of the game in the same way it's technically OK to make "backup" copies of your games.
No actually, in most places, it is 100% illegal to download a ROM even if you own a physical copy. Making your own copy from your original physical copy is legal in many places though. It just also happens to be impossible to do for many older cartridge games if you don't have the right equipment, and the end result is no different than had you just downloaded it.

Which is why I don't think any sane person would argue it's immoral or that it even should be illegal. Especially when the reality is that the law is unenforceable, and actively prevents people from keeping their own backup copy should they so choose.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
It's illegal, even if you own an authentic copy.

That's all I really want to input on it, whether you find it morally acceptable or not is your decision.

Honestly, I don't even think it should be illegal. If there is no official way to purchase either a digital or newly produced copy then I don't see where the issue is...