Poll: Is it possible to melt a tree?

Dangernick42

Jan 12, 2009
I was thinking, cuz i kno that if u get a tree hot, it burns. But what if you heated it up in a vaccuum, theres no oxygen so it cudnt combust, but the heat energy is still being applied. I want liquid tree!!!

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Yes, you can even get a tree into a gas state(in theory).

Kron_the_mad said:
actually it would explode before it ever melted, the sap gets too hot and the pressure blows the tree apart
pretty sure the sap would leak because of the vacuum from the beginning.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
No idea, but i've also wondered that. Some scientists HAD to try this at some time, but i'm not sure if data on that was ever published. I'm really intrigued on that subject.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure it's flash point is lower than it's melting point, which makes it a no.

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
Wood is made of lignin. That's a very firm, fibrous material.
A molecule this big won't melt. (Just look at it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignin)
You can however break it down into a combustible liquid, under extreme temperatures and pressure.
They sometimes use this as biofuel.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Dangernick42 said:
I was thinking, cuz i kno that if u get a tree hot, it burns. But what if you heated it up in a vaccuum, theres no oxygen so it cudnt combust, but the heat energy is still being applied. I want liquid tree!!!
That should look like this,

I was thinking, 'cause I know that if you get a tree hot, it burns. But what if you heated it up in a vacuum, there's no oxygen so it couldn't combust, but the heat energy is still being applied. I want liquid tree!!!

Sorry internet speak is one of my pet peeves.

Anyways, on topic. Yeah I thought about this before, and yes you could. In fact any biological matter burns with enough energy in the presence of oxygen. So theoretically if you removed the oxygen it could not burn. And all matter has solid liquid and gas states so if you get it hot enough it should melt.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Dangernick42 said:
If you melt something, it becomes liquid. Liquids can't exist in a vacuum.

I don't think a tree would melt anyway.. wouldn't the molecules just disintegrate at those extreme temperatures into smaller molecules/atoms?

twasdfzxcv

Mar 30, 2010
Uh it really depend on the circumstances.
Like some post above if the vacuum is applied continuously, i.e. any gas is removed from the chamber instantly at all time, you'll be left with essentially carbon, which does melt at high enough temperature.

On the other hand, tree may contain as much as 50 percent water, more in some parts of the tree (like leaves or fruits). In high enough temperature water can be break down to oxygen and hydrogen which would burn with the remaining carbon compound.

All in all, can you melt a tree? The answer would be yes, but it wouldn't be a tree anymore.

It's kind of like the question about the color inside of a brick.

Coldman42

Nov 17, 2009
Meh, why not. I've thought of this before but it never healed my curiosity for very long because i like fire ^_^

twasdfzxcv

Mar 30, 2010
Or you can just drop the tree in a blender. If you can blend it really fine, it'll be essentially melted. After all being melted is just that molecules are able to move around freely.

Skobvs

Nov 26, 2009
Interesting.. But as above said the sap would either cause it to explode or the vacuum would cause the sap to break it apart anyway.

Though it would be interesting to see if this would work...

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
It astounds me that scientists somewhere have not wasted valuable grant money in researching this great mystery - there's too much emphasis on trivialities like cancer and such. I want shit to melt!

I personally don't think it'd melt - I wish I had a more competent grasp of biological lingo so that my forthcoming reasoning would sound a tad more "intellectual", but I suppose this will have to do: wood is big and sturdy - big and sturdy things don't tend to melt. Can I get an amen?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Thedutchjelle said:
Dangernick42 said:
If you melt something, it becomes liquid. Liquids can't exist in a vacuum.
My chem knowledge sucks, but what if, in stead of using a vacuum, you'd just replace the air with some inert gas or something?

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
From what I know, there is something called wood welding, where wood (mainly lignin and loose fibers on the surface) is melted by friction in order to bond wood together. Thereby eliminating the need for glue. The bonds while strong aren't water resistant, so interior only I suppose.

But, if what I've read is correct, then yes, wood can indeed melt, and with friction no less. Which means I can melt a tree with enough frictional force. Won't be long now before I finally rid my yard of all the trees.