Poll: Is it safe for me to even have "getting out of the military" as an option anymore?

Swift24

Aug 13, 2009
I am hoping someone who is a prior service veteran can chime in on this. If not, feel free to give me the situation from your (civilian's) point of view. Maybe you have seen how veterans have been treated. Maybe you have a friend who is a veteran. WHATEVER the case, any amount of information will help.

As it stands, I am a 2 year enlisted member of the United States Air Force. Part of me at the bottom of my heart wants to make this a career, but it's still so far out to claim that. I have to keep all options on the table. As I near my 3 year mark, I have to start approaching all the options I have available. In my mind, I am most likely going to reenlist for another 4 years at the very least. But in terms of retraining, reenlisting, palace chasing to guard/reserves, etc. It's all so much.

Then there is the simple option. The "get out and go to school" option. It's fine in terms of finances. The GI Bill will pay for anything, but I only have a rough idea of what I want to go to school for, and I think getting out to pursue that would be a massive gamble, especially with the scrutiny I am told veterans go under out of service and back in school.

I dunno, I am all over the place, and I feel this question can be the most helpful and the odds of people on this forum can give me a much better idea from the outside.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
You've got a high degree of job security in a career that you seem to love doing. Everything else aside, I would suggest that you need an excellent reason to let that go. Finding both of those aspects in a job is very difficult.

On the other hand, honorably discharged members of the military are actually sought after by many employers outside of the service. (when compared to civilians with similar skillsets) You've already proven that you have loyalty and discipline, traits that are sadly lacking in most civilians.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Swift24 said:
I am hoping someone who is a prior service veteran can chime in on this. If not, feel free to give me the situation from your (civilian's) point of view. Maybe you have seen how veterans have been treated. Maybe you have a friend who is a veteran. WHATEVER the case, any amount of information will help.

As it stands, I am a 2 year enlisted member of the Air Force. Part of me at the bottom of my heart wants to make this a career, but it's still so far out to claim that. I have to keep all options on the table. As I near my 3 year mark, I have to start approaching all the options I have available. In my mind, I am most likely going to reenlist for another 4 years at the very least. But in terms of retraining, reenlisting, palace chasing to guard/reserves, etc. It's all so much.

Then there is the simple option. The "get out and go to school" option. It's fine in terms of finances. The GI Bill will pay for anything, but I only have a rough idea of what I want to go to school for, and I think getting out to pursue that would be a massive gamble, especially with the scrutiny I am told veterans go under out of service and back in school.

I dunno, I am all over the place, and I feel this question can be the most helpful and the odds of people on this forum can give me a much better idea from the outside.
You're AF, so you've immediately got more opportunities than most. Private sector/Academia tend to look at the AF as the "place all the smart people go". Veterans really don't get shit on as hard as you think, it's not the 70s anymore. If anything, it'll probably net you some immediate favor with some people. It'll be the DoD you should be watching out for.

Think about how to set yourself up for life outside the military, because eventually you are going to have to get out and find a civilian job. Is it worth it to potentially sit around for 20 years in the peace-time military? If so, then you better milk the AF for as many qualifications and contacts as possible. Be prepared to take care of yourself because when the time comes, the military content to leave you hanging out to dry.

/END RANT

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm guessing you mean the US Air Force, but you really should specify which one.

Swift24

Aug 13, 2009
Heronblade said:
You've got a high degree of job security in a career that you seem to love doing. Everything else aside, I would suggest that you need an excellent reason to let that go. Finding both of those aspects in a job is very difficult.

On the other hand, honorably discharged members of the military are actually sought after by many employers outside of the service. (when compared to civilians with similar skillsets) You've already proven that you have loyalty and discipline, traits that are sadly lacking in most civilians.
The only reason I could see myself letting it go is just overall burnout. But that could be a number of things to contribute to that. Life in the service isn't all that bad.

thaluikhain said:
I'm guessing you mean the US Air Force, but you really should specify which one.
I meant USAF. You're right. haha. Also I clicked your red button. :(

Scolar Visari said:
You're AF, so you've immediately got more opportunities than most. Private sector/Academia tend to look at the AF as the "place all the smart people go". Veterans really don't get shit on as hard as you think, it's not the 70s anymore. If anything, it'll probably net you some immediate favor with some people. It'll be the DoD you should be watching out for.

Think about how to set yourself up for life outside the military, because eventually you are going to have to get out and find a civilian job. Is it worth it to potentially sit around for 20 years in the peace-time military? If so, then you better milk the AF for as many qualifications and contacts as possible. Be prepared to take care of yourself because when the time comes, the military content to leave you hanging out to dry.

/END RANT
The DOD I should be watching out for regarding future hiring prospects, or avoid?

I already have a very elaborate 7 step strategy regarding a setup for outside the military life. the only problem is I gotta make sure when that time comes it isn't too early/premature. The biggest concern is not having enough time in for me to even cite the military as experience. if that makes sense.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Hey, if you like your current set up then why change? If you're happy, and enjoy the work then what makes you think that you're going to be happier doing something else?

As far as going to school goes, I'd recommend knowing what you want to do before you start going to school. I meandered around and wasted a lot of my time before I figured out what I wanted my major to be. If you only have a rough idea of what you want to do, you might want to hold off and do a little more research, maybe weigh some other options.

Remember, you're currently gainfully employed, so it's better to take the time and weigh your options now than to get out of the military and realize you don't really know what you want to do, and watch the money you've been saving up trickle away while you sit on your ass.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Swift24 said:
Scolar Visari said:

/END RANT
The DOD I should be watching out for regarding future hiring prospects, or avoid?

I already have a very elaborate 7 step strategy regarding a setup for outside the military life. the only problem is I gotta make sure when that time comes it isn't too early/premature. The biggest concern is not having enough time in for me to even cite the military as experience. if that makes sense.
I'm sorry my last post was so disjointed and rushed. I had things going on.

Anyway. Concerning the DoD, it's both. The DoD is a great place to transition into post service. Lots of decent paying jobs with pensions and benefits and all that good stuff. Prior service can net you qualifications, good will and names to drop when it comes to getting a job over some random schmuck.

On the flip side, the DoD and the government as a whole are not to be trusted to take care of you and yours. I've seen too many people get left out to dry for some really shitty reasons, to hinge any of my plans on something that the DoD is "supposed" to do.

I understand your concern about not having enough relevant experience or time in service to really appeal to employers. Just keep in mind that I'm approaching this from the opposite end of the military spectrum. Vocational skills such as specialized mechanics/technicians are pure gold on resumes. Most employers love to see people come pre-qualified and assume that the military does/teaches everything to the highest standard. For the less tangible skills, I've never seen an instance where an employer did anything more than ask "What did your job entail?" or "How does that relate to this desired position?". Of course you give them the same pretty spiel that the recruiters give people. Not saying that you should lie of course and if your hiring relies on a certain facet of your service, you should be prepared to give plenty of detail.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Swift24 said:
In the service.
Here is my opinion, speaking as a guy who knows a guy, and as someone who's had an army cousin (who has been out for some years).

You say that you're not getting out immediately, regardless of what you decide here. That's a good forward-thinking notion, because I believe thinking carefully is what you should be doing. You see, Swifty, if you feel that you're at a crossroads, you should seriously investigate that other side first and weigh in. So, in your case, try to thoroughly investigate what it is you might want to do in a major for your education and see if any of your current natural or trained talents sing positive towards it. You'll know soon enough if you want to do something specifically different.

On the other side of things, I know how there are a fair few benefits in the job market later that come through first having some form of military career. First of all, you're in the air force. Automatically, this gives you marketable skills applicable to commericial air type jobs right off, especially after sticking with it for a while. You know already that whenever you do decide to step out of the military saddle that they will help you. My cousin's military career and influences therein definitely helped her find a job of worth when she was out.

It's down to your decision, your needs and wants out of life, but you do indeed have options.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
I was a five year Army veteran and I extricated myself as soon as the opportunity arose. I wasn't a poor soldier, the work wasn't difficult, and I had no issue with command structure and things of that nature, but it just wasn't the type of environment I can shift deep-seated mentalities for.

I don't regret joining, and I don't regret leaving. The military was an experience that I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone.

-It's a strong safety net
-A steady paycheck for a job that's quite difficult to lose
-A place for infinite learning
-Full of knowledgeable mentors that can help with any life problem
-A three year ride through college that you get paid for
-Marketable experience depending on your job
-Tuition Assistance (I believe roughly $3500 a semester) while you're still in

But still, it's not for everyone. It wasn't what I wanted to do with my life, so I took mine, and the military took theirs from me. I don't know your AFSC, I couldn't even begin to direct you toward some place you could look. I can tell you one thing though, in the area where I work now, simply being a veteran isn't enough to warrant special treatment or consideration.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I was in the AF many decades ago, and afterwards even though I was trained as an Electronic tech in the service, I had to go to a vocational school for a degree before I could work in the field. I never found that my time in the military got in the way of me getting a job, but it also never made it easier either.

Planning ahead is a good idea. I didn't see it mentioned above what you currently do or were trained for in the AF. The trainsition can be easier for some jobs then others. As far as school, I'm not sure if this is done that often, but you might consider trying an online school while you are in the military...it'll let you get a degree while still in the military and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a system set up for that already.

As far as staying in more then 4 years, I'd pretty much say go all in, or get out. If your not going to stay in the military as long as you can and make a life out of it, then it's probably a good idea to move forward and start building a civilian life as early as possible. Having a hard time getting a job, living on a low salary etc...is much easier when your in your 20's then your 30's..or especially your 40's+.

Anyway, it sounds like your planning ahead which is the most important part. Even once you do get out, always try and find another job before you quit your current one (for whatever reason), try and keep good relations with past employers (don't burn bridges) and try and have an over all goal that you are working towards, and then choose your jobs based on how they will support that long term goal, and how they will look on your resume.

Oh yeah, and save money lol. I saved about half of everything I made till I was 27. You would be AMAZED how fast it all went poof after I got married. Families are expensive:)

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Swift24 said:

As it stands, I am a 2 year enlisted member of the United States Air Force. Part of me at the bottom of my heart wants to make this a career, but it's still so far out to claim that. I have to keep all options on the table. As I near my 3 year mark, I have to start approaching all the options I have available. In my mind, I am most likely going to reenlist for another 4 years at the very least. But in terms of retraining, reenlisting, palace chasing to guard/reserves, etc. It's all so much.

Well, to some extent, it depends on what you are talking about.

I don't really see veterans getting a lot of hate around here. Then again, I'm attending one of the most veteran-friendly colleges in the nation and I live right next to the ROTC buildings, so my perspective might be a little skewed. Still, I haven't really seen a lot of hate even in the most liberal areas of the nation (haven't seen the West Coast though), and we all know the conservatives aren't going to hate them. At the very least, I doubt anyone is going to try to physically harm you because you served in the military.

As far as jobs go, yeah, veterans could probably receive better treatment. You can read more about the statistics here [http://www.bls.gov/news.release/vet.nr0.htm]. The Air Force offers good job security, so it might be a good idea to stay, but using the GI Bill to go to college couldn't hurt. I'm not sure exactly how the Air Force works, but couldn't you enter the reserves while you go to college and see if you want to continue with the Air Force or go another career path after you graduate? Not sure how well your schedule would work in that case, though, and I know at least one person in one of my past classes who missed an important assignment because of Air Force duties, but the teacher was fair and gave her an extension given the circumstances, and I think most professors are understanding of situations like that.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Do they have an Officer's College or the equivalent in the states? You get paid to study, and can become a commissioned officer afterwards.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Kalezian said:
Swift24 said:

Dude, you are in the Air Force, besides the Navy the USAF is really good about treating it's members right.

Marines and Army is a "go until you are too broken to go anymore" kind of mentality, the second that someone higher ranking than you thinks it's time for you to go, you will need to continuously work your ass off to stay in.

Right now, from personal experience, I have yet to find a job since being sent home from just AIT back last December.

i got my DD214.

It's not a dishonorable/less than honorable discharge.

yet not even a gas station or convenience store has ever called me back for an interview. Nor has any fast food restruaunts or other minimum wage jobs.

I'm seriously thinking that my next stable income will be when I go back into the Army, because right now I'm working as an assistant for my step dad with his welding and construction business. How is that not stable? the last job we did was back in September, finished on about the 15th or so. Just yesterday did we get the paycheck for it.

Two years, so that would put you are possibly E2-E4 depending on how rank you were when you got in. Stick with it I say. One you take your first NCO board and get your E5, shit get's a bit easier, at least that's what my Drill Sergeants told us. If you are in a desk job or something similar where you get a good amount of downtime, you can use that for college.

In fact, that's how our CO at our troop got his officers packet fixed up, by doing his college work when he could.

But if you want to get out of it, then get out, but honestly the pay is definitely better than most jobs are willing to give.

Unless you are like a mechanic or something of the sort that has an easy military to civilian skill transition.

I mean, look at me, no business needs someone that can perform PMCS on a Bradley, or knows how to field strip a: M4/16, M240, M249, M2, Mk 19, M242, or how to set/dentonate a C4 charge, or how to throw a fragmentation grenade, or, well you get the idea.
To be fair, and I mean no insult by this, the skills learned in the USAF are in general much more valuable in civilian fields compared to that learned by most Army personnel. We will always have a use for skilled technicians, not to mention pilots if Swift happens to be one.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Depends on what part of the country you head back to, and what you're trained for. DO NOT become a veteran anywhere in central CONUS, you'll probably wind up homeless. Same goes for the southeast. Apparently big cities in Texas are doing well, and I can vouch positively for the myriad "hire vets" programs in the northwest (I'm ex-Army and all I was extensively trained for is rotary aircraft armament... but I landed a good security job while the economy was at its worst... through the "Employer Partnership of the Armed Forces"... local office run by an active reservist "AGR" E-7). Haven't heard anything out of California or the northeast, but it looks like the areas around DC are booming with homeland security jobs.

...but if you can stand the life, staying in is a sure thing... especially as an Air Force tech.

Also, I know a few people who landed jobs up in BC... the Canadians are plugging along, same stable speed as always.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Swift24 said:
Which is bullshit. It might be slightly different on a campus like Berkeley, but as someone has already said, this isn't the 1970s.

My advice would be that if you do decide to get out and go to school, keep working at least part time while going to school. Even if the GI bill + whatever allows you to be quite comfortable, having a decent employment history while going to school will go a long way with future employers. Also, there is nothing wrong with going to college later in life when you're a bit older. It's personal preference.

Heronblade said:
To be fair, and I mean no insult by this, the skills learned in the USAF are in general much more valuable in civilian fields compared to that learned by most Army personnel. We will always have a use for skilled technicians, not to mention pilots if Swift happens to be one.
He's enlisted, so he's not a pilot. Also, assuming he's aiming for Bachelors degree level jobs, the fact that he's MOS qualified in something, even if it's relevant to the job, doesn't mean anything regardless of branch. A Bachelors gives far and away more expertise in any given field than anything the military has taught him as a grunt(which he is, considering the number of years he's been in). The upside of having the military on one's resume are the ideas of responsibility, discipline, and self-motivation from such a commitment. It's a character attribute for employment, not so much a technical skill one. This can be different for the 10+ years people in certain jobs, usually non-technical, but not the lower enlisted.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
My brother did two four year enlistments. Loved the military at the four year mark. During his second enlistment, he began to hate it. He's the only person I know who has done eight years, but based on him I wouldn't.