Poll: Is it sexist to think it's worse (as a man) to hit a woman than another man?

Iron_Maiden

Jan 12, 2011
Depends. If a woman hits me hard enough, I'll call it self-defense and she's a man. I'll knock the %$#@ out of her.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
DPunch4 said:
Hmmmm, I think we both got our point across, I can not agree with you because I strive for progress in society and find most traditions to be utterly retarded.

At least we can all agree that it's better to spend time beating up women in New Vegas, then to get beat up by women in real life.
You think I don't strive for progress? Look, I agree with some traditions because they make sense. This particular tradition is a good one to burn into the minds of young males because politeness, consideration and less violence in general are good things wouldn't you agree? It's not like my mind is controlled either and violence altogether is bad but because of this, a male will actually think before hitting not just a women, but anyone in general.

LittleChone

May 17, 2010
DPunch4 said:
LittleChone said:
No. It's morality, not sexism.
I would just like to ask you to read some of the statements made in this thread.

If you try to say it's moral to not hit women, you are in turn saying that women should be treated like delicate flowers. That is sexist.

Once you open up and understand arguments against your position you might discover you have a new position.
Okay then. Fair enough. But answer me this: just when is it OKAY to hit someone of the opposite sex? What I'm implying is just a statement of policy, whereas you seem to think it's sign of arrogance. So which is better to you? To not hit women and be called sexist, or to hit women and be called even worst?

I respect women. I do. I treat them as equals. Heck, some of my best friends are girls I've grown up with in class. And they treat me just the same. So tell me, who do think is the most arrogant between us? You or me??

Because between you and me, I think you need to open up and learn when to insult someone's point of view, and when not to.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Charley said:
Xojins said:
Charley said:
Xojins said:
Short answer: Yes, it is sexist.
Can we have the long answer that includes your reason, please? That's the point of this thread - there's clearly a divide here, and just throwing in a 'yes' or 'no' isn't helping the discussion a great deal.

Thank
Yes, it is sexist because it separates women as being physically and mentally inferior. It says that women are frail and can't handle the physical or emotional trauma associated with being assaulted, whereas if it were two men it suddenly becomes generally acceptable. On top of that, in modern times women (particularly feminists) have been fighting for superiority equality and an end to sexism. Therefore, if women expect this type of equality there shouldn't be any kind of stigma about male on female violence because it would no longer be sexist. But there is, so it is. Then on top of that we can talk about the double standard for when a woman is violent with a man; more often than not women is given the benefit of the doubt solely because they're women.

Welcome.

/rant
No seriously - I actually did want to know why you thought it was the case and that's totally fair game, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

One thing that I do think is particularly interesting is that people would rather not discourage (different from encourage) men from hitting women in the name of not being sexist, rather than just reap the "benefits" (if you consider less violence a benefit) of it being a social norm not to do it.

Once again, we're not talking about self-defence here, but situations such as in an argument (or any other situation where you're not about to be injured already).
That may be a positive outcome, however men are still considered monsters for hitting women even if it is in self-defense (and be self-defense I mean reacting to a violent action). If a woman came up to me and started punching and kicking me, it would only be acceptable for me to stop her by pushing her away or running or something like that. However, if I were to fight back and punch or kick her, suddenly I would be a monster for harming a woman in such a way.

Delritho

Aug 12, 2009
I'll hit a women just as easily and I would hit a man if in the same circumstances. IE Self Defense.

Paosheep

Dec 19, 2008
An answer in three parts:

First, the idea of an average man hitting an average woman seems wrong to me. The idea of a man hitting a woman of about his same size and build still makes me uneasy, but much less so. The idea of a man hitting a woman who is bigger and taller than him causes me almost no distress. More than anything else, then, I think the size ratio of the two involved parties is the most important. And in even broader terms I would say that the person who is least threatening of the two should always be the one to start the fight, otherwise it just feels like bullying. Viewed in this light, I think that yes, the idea that a man hitting a woman is worse than vice versa is sexist. (A part of me is guilty of this.)

Second, I recognize that a not-inconsiderable percentage of the world believes that it is wrong. I'm a little taller and heavier than an average healthy male, and I recognize that if I hit a 5'7" woman, even in self defense, I had better have several impartial witnesses to back up my side of the story. Probably more than I would need for a 5'7" man. I don't think that is sexism. That's just realism.

Third, I like women. I find them downright attractive, intellectually and physically. For me, personally, this means I will probably be a little more patient and a little slower to outburst or retaliation than I would be with a man. That's definitely sexist, but at least I'm aware of it and try to filter the bias out of the really important decisions. That's gotta count for something, right?

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Paosheep said:
Third, I like women. I find them downright attractive, intellectually and physically. For me, personally, this means I will probably be a little more patient and a little slower to outburst or retaliation than I would be with a man. That's definitely sexist, but at least I'm aware of it and try to filter the bias out of the really important decisions. That's gotta count for something, right?
Hold on, are you saying your more patient only with women your attracted to or just any women in general? Cause if it's just because your attracted to them then I could argue that is natural with both sex's.

Also, here is the meaning. (Sorry, don't mean any disrespect)

The belief that one sex (usually the male) is naturally superior to the other and should dominate most important areas of political, economic, and social life.

Are you like that? Do you believe men are naturally superior in most ways? If you don't then I would say your not sexist at all.

Paosheep

Dec 19, 2008
Nazulu said:
Paosheep said:
Hold on, are you saying your more patient only with women your attracted to or just any women in general? Cause if it's just because your attracted to them then I could argue that is natural with both sex's.

Also, here is the meaning. (Sorry, don't mean any disrespect)

The belief that one sex (usually the male) is naturally superior to the other and should dominate most important areas of political, economic, and social life.

Are you like that? Do you believe men are naturally superior in most ways? If you don't then I would say your not sexist at all.
Even without any sexual or physical attraction, I find that (in general; there are always exceptions) I often get along better with women than men. In the sense that I am making a discriminatory prejudgment based on a perceived trend concerning gender, this is undeniably sexist. But too many women have run circles around me politically, economically, and socially for me to mean it in any other way. I guess that means I'm safe, then. Cool.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Nazulu said:
moretimethansense said:
Nazulu said:
I never even thought about it and I'm like that so I had to look it up before I could say anything. I grabbed the definition of wikipedia and I'll share it with you all.

"Sexism, a term coined in the mid-20th century,[1] is the belief or attitude that one sex is inherently superior to, more competent than, or more valuable than the other. It can also include this type of discrimination in regards to gender. Sexism primarily involves hatred of, or prejudice towards, either sex as a whole (see misogyny and misandry), or the application of stereotypes of masculinity in relation to men, or of femininity in relation to women.[2] It is also called male and female chauvinism."

This is just either the belief that one side is more superior or stereotyping the gender that makes you sexist, but I'm neither of those.

My whole life I've been taught the tradition of a gentlemen like letting the females go first, clearing their path and what not. All this just automatically, I don't think that their inferior in anyway, in fact I hate that attitude.

To answer this poll I guess it depends in what you believe, I'm gonna say no.
I said this ealier in the thread but,
Imagine that no white people bear any hatred towards black people,
Now imagine that black people still aren't allowed to drnk from the same fountains as white people.

Intent doesn't matter, It is still discriminatory, it implies that women are either more delacate than men, or that they are more important, it IS sexism, plain and simple, the reasons behind it do not change that.
Intent is what this is about, it's just the way I showed how polite I am, not because I believe they are more important. Of course I reckon everybody should be treated equally but at the same time men should play the gentle-men. It's just a basic tradition and a good one that should stay forever.
Would you do the same for a man?
If not then you are discriminating on the basis of sex.

"It's tradition" it was also tradtion to have gays stoned to death, should we bring that back?

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
moretimethansense said:
Nazulu said:
moretimethansense said:
Nazulu said:
I never even thought about it and I'm like that so I had to look it up before I could say anything. I grabbed the definition of wikipedia and I'll share it with you all.

"Sexism, a term coined in the mid-20th century,[1] is the belief or attitude that one sex is inherently superior to, more competent than, or more valuable than the other. It can also include this type of discrimination in regards to gender. Sexism primarily involves hatred of, or prejudice towards, either sex as a whole (see misogyny and misandry), or the application of stereotypes of masculinity in relation to men, or of femininity in relation to women.[2] It is also called male and female chauvinism."

This is just either the belief that one side is more superior or stereotyping the gender that makes you sexist, but I'm neither of those.

My whole life I've been taught the tradition of a gentlemen like letting the females go first, clearing their path and what not. All this just automatically, I don't think that their inferior in anyway, in fact I hate that attitude.

To answer this poll I guess it depends in what you believe, I'm gonna say no.
I said this ealier in the thread but,
Imagine that no white people bear any hatred towards black people,
Now imagine that black people still aren't allowed to drnk from the same fountains as white people.

Intent doesn't matter, It is still discriminatory, it implies that women are either more delacate than men, or that they are more important, it IS sexism, plain and simple, the reasons behind it do not change that.
Intent is what this is about, it's just the way I showed how polite I am, not because I believe they are more important. Of course I reckon everybody should be treated equally but at the same time men should play the gentle-men. It's just a basic tradition and a good one that should stay forever.
Would you do the same for a man?
If not then you are discriminating on the basis of sex.

"It's tradition" it was also tradtion to have gays stoned to death, should we bring that back?
Yeah, sometimes I do. The reason I say it's a good tradition is because it extends out to everything. The tradition of the gentlemen is just to learn to be respectful, considerate, smart, etc. To be a good person basically.

As for your insulting question which has also nothing to do with anything, I hate violence in general and I couldn't feel more sorry for the homosexuals in those dark ages.

I have a question for you, do you think I should hit a women like a man just so they feel like they're equal? I get the feeling your living in a fantasy world. Men are usually stronger in case you've forgotten, and that's partly why the tradition of the gentlemen has become common. Of course, if the women is stronger then she should be careful as well.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Nazulu said:
Yeah, sometimes I do. The reason I say it's a good tradition is because it extends out to everything. The tradition of the gentlemen is just to learn to be respectful, considerate, smart, etc. To be a good person basically.
And there's nothing wrog with that, treating people differently depending on their sex, race or religion is discrimination.
If you treat everyone the same(open doors for men, refuse to hit either for any reason that sort of thing) then more power to you, if you treat people differently however you are contributing that they deserve to be treated differently.

As for your insulting question which has also nothing to do with anything, I hate violence in general and I couldn't feel more sorry for the homosexuals in those dark ages.
How does it have nothing to do with anything?
you claimed that since it is radition it is okay, I demonstraigted the ridiculessness of that belief through hyperbole, there was no insult, I was not implying that you were a homophobe I was merely demonstraigting that just because somthing is traition doesn't make it right.

I have a question for you, do you think I should hit a women like a man just so they feel like they're equal?
If you would hit a man for it, then yes.

I get the feeling your living in a fantasy world.
nope, the real one as I'l;; point out in a minuite.

Men are usually stronger in case you've forgotten, and that's partly why the tradition of the gentlemen has become common. Of course, if the women is stronger then she should be careful as well.[/quote]
One problem with that, men may be naturally stronger, but women are every bit as capable of doing sereous permanant damage as any man, andf tht's without weapons, there are many cases where a man was being assaulted by a woman and if he defended himself HE gets arrested, somtimes HE gets arrested even if he didn't fight back.

Women aren't the only ones that can be hurt you know, and men aren' the only ones that can hurt others.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
I wish you didn't split it up, I'll respond to each point and number it so it's easy to understand.

moretimethansense said:
Nazulu said:
1) And there's nothing wrog with that, treating people differently depending on their sex, race or religion is discrimination.
If you treat everyone the same(open doors for men, refuse to hit either for any reason that sort of thing) then more power to you, if you treat people differently however you are contributing that they deserve to be treated differently.

2)How does it have nothing to do with anything?
you claimed that since it is radition it is okay, I demonstraigted the ridiculessness of that belief through hyperbole, there was no insult, I was not implying that you were a homophobe I was merely demonstraigting that just because somthing is traition doesn't make it right.

I have a question for you, do you think I should hit a women like a man just so they feel like they're equal?
3)If you would hit a man for it, then yes.

I get the feeling your living in a fantasy world.
4)nope, the real one as I'l;; point out in a minuite.

Men are usually stronger in case you've forgotten, and that's partly why the tradition of the gentlemen has become common. Of course, if the women is stronger then she should be careful as well.
5)One problem with that, men may be naturally stronger, but women are every bit as capable of doing sereous permanant damage as any man, andf tht's without weapons, there are many cases where a man was being assaulted by a woman and if he defended himself HE gets arrested, somtimes HE gets arrested even if he didn't fight back.

Women aren't the only ones that can be hurt you know, and men aren' the only ones that can hurt others.[/quote]

1) When it comes to sex, men are usually stronger and will be punished more harshly when it comes to hitting a women. It's the morality in the culture we live in, it's common sense, this isn't descrimination no matter how many times you say it is.

2) I was talking about the way of a gentlemen, to be a good person, what the hell does that have to do with stoning gays? Just because I said the word 'tradition', doesn't mean I'm old fashion and fucked up!

3) You know men are naturally stronger yet you would hit the women the same anyway, your not a gentlemen. This is also considered abuse of strength as well.

4) No, your still there.

5) I'm sure there is and there is a lot of in-justice in the world but the fact is, most of the time it is the man trying to control and loses control.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Sorry for splitting it up but it made it easier to refer to indvidual points.

Nazulu said:
1) When it comes to sex, men are usually stronger and will be punished more harshly when it comes to hitting a women. It's the morality in the culture we live in, it's common sense, this isn't descrimination no matter how many times you say it is.

2) I was talking about the way of a gentlemen, to be a good person, what the hell does that have to do with stoning gays? Just because I said the word 'tradition', doesn't mean I'm old fashion and fucked up!

3) You know men are naturally stronger yet you would hit the women the same anyway, your not a gentlemen. This is also considered abuse of strength as well.

4) No, your still there.

5) I'm sure there is and there is a lot of in-justice in the world but the fact is, most of the time it is the man trying to control and loses control.
1)
Yes it is the morality we are currently stuck with, and that morality is wrong.
No it is not common sense.
And yes
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination
yes it is.

2) As I said HYPERBOLE using a ridiculous exaggeration to illustrate a point, since you are not going to look past the wording I'm not gonna bother explaining it again since you claerly don't listen.

3) So it's an abuse of streangth to defend myself from an atempt on my life?
that's good to know, I almost felt like women could actually commint crimes like assault and murder thank you for setting me straight. -_-#

4) You are a tit you know that?

5)
Women are not innocent creatures and men are not foul wife beating monsters, my advice to you would be to stop watching lifetime movies and start living in the real world.
http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/abusiverelationships/a/male_abuse.htm
Women are responsable for almost as much abuse as men but it only rarly gets reported due to discriminatory laws and the blief that a man is not a victim.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
moretimethansense said:

Nazulu said:

4) No, your still there.

1)
And yes
yes it is.

2) As I said HYPERBOLE using a ridiculous exaggeration to illustrate a point, since you are not going to look past the wording I'm not gonna bother explaining it again since you claerly don't listen.

that's good to know, I almost felt like women could actually commint crimes like assault and murder thank you for setting me straight. -_-#

5)
Women are not innocent creatures and men are not foul wife beating monsters, my advice to you would be to stop watching lifetime movies and start living in the real world.
Women are responsable for almost as much abuse as men but it only rarly gets reported due to discriminatory laws and the blief that a man is not a victim.
1) It's great that you want equality so much but you just don't understand, the reason morality is there so it can protect women. Your wrong.

2) Wasn't a hyperbole at first remember, least you will think ahead before talking like that to someone.

3) Actually, I didn't mention anything about the women assaulting you.

4) Insulting people is not intelligent you know that?

5) Lol. OK, you go around hitting women and tell the court that they're just as strong and we will see how far you get. Of course, I don't agree with you on this point at all.

This whole thing has become agree to disagree, go believe whatever you want.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Nazulu said:
moretimethansense said:

Nazulu said:

4) No, your still there.

1)
And yes
yes it is.

5)
1) It's great that you want equality so much but you just don't understand, the reason morality is there so it can protect women. Your wrong.

2) Wasn't a hyperbole at first remember, least you will think ahead before talking like that to someone.

3) Actually, I didn't mention anything about the women assaulting you.

4) Insulting people is not intelligent you know that?

5) Lol. OK, you go around hitting women and tell the court that they're just as strong and we will see how far you get. Of course, I don't agree with you on this point at all.

This whole thing has become agree to disagree, go believe whatever you want.
1) Noooo, morality is a system of belief that certain actions are wrong, gender doesn't come in to it.

2) Yes it was.

3) you said that hitting women under any circumstances is wrong, and an abuse of streangth, I gave an example of why I'd hit anyone.

4) Not to be childish but you insulted me first.

5) The law is wrong in this case, I refer you back to the stoning gays comment, just because the law says somthing is right does not make it right.

And as I said this isn't about the law this is about discrimination, and again,
WOMEN CAN AND HAVE BROKEN MEN'S JAWS BY SLAPPING THEM!
Women regularly abuse men both physically AND psychlogically, the men in question get no sympathy, little support and often are ostrasised while the woman is lauded for giving the man "what he deserved" if you sereously think that women are incapable of causing men physical harm then you are both sexist and a colassal idiot.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Last time, I've had it.

moretimethansense said:
1) Noooo, morality is a system of belief that certain actions are wrong, gender doesn't come in to it.

2) Yes it was.

3) you said that hitting women under any circumstances is wrong, and an abuse of streangth, I gave an example of why I'd hit anyone.

5) The law is wrong in this case, I refer you back to the stoning gays comment, just because the law says somthing is right does not make it right.

Women regularly abuse men both physically AND psychlogically, the men in question get no sympathy, little support and often are ostrasised while the woman is lauded for giving the man "what he deserved" if you sereously think that women are incapable of causing men physical harm then you are both sexist and a colassal idiot.
1) I'm talking about the certain morality that violence against women is not on, it's still about gender.

2) Hyperbole or not, it's still an insult. Also your hyperbole didn't make any strong impression since it was off topic.

3) I never said hitting a women under any circumstance is wrong. Actually, I should've explained it better, then again that's not an easy thing to explain. Fuck it.

4) Well that is pretty childish and I wouldn't say it's an insult that your still in a dream land where you can be as violent towards women as much as men.

5) And yet it's no where near as common as men hitting women. As I already said, I won't agree to this no matter what. We already agree that men are usually stronger and that's why things are the way they are now. I admit, it's not perfect but it does stop men abusing women, more than you'll ever expect.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Nazulu said:
Last time, I've had it.

moretimethansense said:

2) Yes it was.

1) I'm talking about the certain morality that violence against women is not on, it's still about gender.

2) Hyperbole or not, it's still an insult. Also your hyperbole didn't make any strong impression since it was off topic.

3) I never said hitting a women under any circumstance is wrong. Actually, I should've explained it better, then again that's not an easy thing to explain. Fuck it.

4) Well that is pretty childish and I wouldn't say it's an insult that your still in a dream land where you can be as violent towards women as much as men.

5) And yet it's no where near as common as men hitting women. As I already said, I won't agree to this no matter what. We already agree that men are usually stronger and that's why things are the way they are now. I admit, it's not perfect but it does stop men abusing women, more than you'll ever expect.
1) And that "morality" is sexist, there is no argueing that point.

2) How is it? I was pointing out institutionalized discrimination, exactly the kind you are advocating, perhaps a better comparisan would be that it used to be tradition that rich people were automaticaly better and as such deseve respect from the poor but owe them none in return.

3) If this was a miscomunication then fair enough, but you claim that it IS worse to hit a woman than a man, my point is that this is sexist, and it is, look it up.

4) You claim that my personal beliefs are an unrealistic fantasy, that sir IS an insult.

5) And it causes men to be abused, more than you'd ever be willing to believe.

I agree that tjhis is obviously going nowhere, so let's just drop it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
feycreature said:
GeorgW said:
I'm a pacifist, but I will defend myself in a fight. Still, I've never hit a woman even though they've started fights with me. It just feels wrong, more wrong than hitting a man. So basically, I never hit women, and I'd rather not hit men. Maybe it's sexist if you only look at the action itself, but I think we need to look into the reason behind it. It's deeply rooted in our culture and instincts. I consider myself a gentleman, I always hold the door open, pull out the chair and so on. Again, sexist, but for a good reason. The world is full of double standards, this is one of the nicer ones, so just be happy it's there!
Something being deeply rooted in your culture is not in and of itself a good reason to keep it. Slavery was a deeply rooted tradition, goes back about as far as recorded history.
That's a good point, but I still say that any tradition that abhors violence, regardless of the sexist way it does it, is good.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
moretimethansense said:
Nazulu said:
Last time, I've had it.

moretimethansense said:

2) Yes it was.

1) And that "morality" is sexist, there is no argueing that point.

2) How is it? I was pointing out institutionalized discrimination, exactly the kind you are advocating, perhaps a better comparisan would be that it used to be tradition that rich people were automaticaly better and as such deseve respect from the poor but owe them none in return.

3) If this was a miscomunication then fair enough, but you claim that it IS worse to hit a woman than a man, my point is that this is sexist, and it is, look it up.

4) You claim that my personal beliefs are an unrealistic fantasy, that sir IS an insult.

5) And it causes men to be abused, more than you'd ever be willing to believe.

I agree that tjhis is obviously going nowhere, so let's just drop it.
1) Yeah, because your wrong for reasons I've explained many times. And I said I will never agree with you on this 3 times already.

2) How am I advocating the stoning of gays? Like I said before, I was talking about the tradition of a gentlemen being polite and what not, and I said that as my reasoning that the OP and are not sexist.

3) No it isn't, look it up. Heh, all the points are the same now.

4) It is, hitting women is worse than hitting a man because they are generaly more frail, this is fact. I will never understand how you could think that way.

5) No where near as much as men. It's a fact that men bully more, way more, to the point where they could strip a women of all their rights if they had the power. They do in Afghanistan and for many years before women had any rights.

OK, that's the last from me.