Poll: Is it snowing yet?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Living here in the state of Minnesota (central and north right next to Canada eh in the United States), it snows...

...a lot...

Like....a LOT a lot

Today, in the cities at least, was our first snow fall (it has snowed up north already but I didn't see it and therefore it doesn't exist). It's getting cold quickly and winter is coming (queue Ned Stark image here). Approx. 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 Celsius) today if you were wondering for some reason.

So I'm kind of curious and I have nothing better to do; has it snowed for you yet? Will it snow if it hasn't or do you live in Florida or something? Do you live at the North Pole and therefore it never stopped (and if you are, could I get a new set of golf clubs for Christmas Santa)?

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I don't think we've even put central heating on yet, it's still quite mild in the UK although it is beginning to get a bit nippy. It's pretty rare that we get snow here, prime season seems to be December-February. I wish it snowed more often...then maybe our infrastructure could learn to cope with it.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I got another month or so before it starts snowing here. Though it's starting to get colder out and soon jackets will be required to go outside. Not a real fan of snow which sucks cause I live on the snow belt (North Western Pennsylvania) so soon Lake Erie will gift us the wonders of lake-effect snow! Though for the past few years it has been rather tame so I hope that it continues this trend.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
It rarely ever snows here.
When it does, it's for a day in December and it's usually the crap snow that disappears almost immediately.

That said, we had a proper snowy Christmas a few years ago.
Our entire country basically shut down cause no one knew what the fuck to do.
We didn't have any running water for Christmas either because my Grandparent's house is out in the country.
It was awkward but the whole situation was pretty funny.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Don't know, Britain weather is flicky at best.

One winter we got ALOT of snow and last year we had a very cold winter but the snow only show one for a day or two at most!

I have no idea if we are getting snow this year or not but I rather prefer not too, it's bad enough that it get very cold over here, I don't need it in solid like form!

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
It'll snow here in Tennessee before the end of the year for sure & with the way things have been going, possibly before the end of the month. All the old folks around here say we're gonna have a hard winter this year, but they say that every year & last year wasn't bad at all. It's been a few years since we last had a bad winter so I'd say we are due one.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Considering the weather is getting warmer I can safely say I am not expecting any snow. Not that it ever snows in Auckland.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
snow? in October? what is this, mid 2000's?

but seriously, here in Buffalo, NY we get hit by snow from two great lakes and Canada sometimes exports their weather our way. It usually snows a lot, but in the past 6 year we have been having really mild winters. Like....no snow by Christmas (when previously we would have 3-4 feet or so)

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

in terms of snowfall in the US, Buffalo is number 9 (93.3 inches/2.36 m)!

The first MN city that appears is Duluth, MN at #15. WEAKSAUCE! There are 10 cities in New York higher than them!

...Granted 4 of them are in the general Buffalo area (Buffalo, Tonawanda, Amherst, Niagara Falls) , but still!

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Probably not gonna snow here in Austin Texas. Too bad, since I grew up in Washington State and rather like the snow.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
It has snowed 3 times. It has stuck zero times. Now we're getting really, really unusual warm weather. We might not have snow during halloween for the first time in at least a decade. YEAH BUDDY!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Ryotknife said:
snow? in October? what is this, mid 2000's?

but seriously, here in Buffalo, NY we get hit by snow from two great lakes and Canada sometimes exports their weather our way. It usually snows a lot, but in the past 6 year we have been having really mild winters. Like....no snow by Christmas (when previously we would have 3-4 feet or so)

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

in terms of snowfall in the US, Buffalo is number 9 (93.3 inches/2.36 m)!

The first MN city that appears is Duluth, MN at #15. WEAKSAUCE! There are 10 cities in New York higher than them!

...Granted 4 of them are in the general Buffalo area (Buffalo, Tonawanda, Amherst, Niagara Falls) , but still!
As a Minnesotan, I feel like I have to contest these "facts". However, as a Minnesotan, I'm also wicked passive aggressive...I've got it!

"Oh, those weather fellas mustv miessed sum snohwfall here doncha know. Eet's not their fault; they're trying their best eh?"

Perfect! :D

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Snowed last Thursday night here. Snow was all melted by Saturday morning.
Colorado has a climate of extremes...we have both extremely cold and blazingly hot...sometimes in a single day...sometimes in a single *hour*....

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Yeah, feel free to pass some of that weather down my way. We get maybe a single day of snow in any particular year, but when it comes, I love watching these southerners go nuts and start wearing freaking quilts over what I consider jacket weather. For extra hilarity, I'll sometimes slip on a t-shirt and go for a walk.

Its amusing from a distance at any rate, being near or on the roads on such a day is just asking to get hit by some idiot that thinks he can still go 15 MPH above the speed limit when everything is icy.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well I live in NZ so its summer here. I thinks its "snowed" once in Auckland during my life and I use the term very very liberally and only because it was reported as snow. It was a very small amount that was gone in only a few hours. I've been in snow only twice.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
I'm really hoping for it to snow in my area really soon. Just one or two good snowstorms before mid November and it'll be great.

To clarify, I don't really mind winter, i'm a very big guy and I act like a natural heater so cold doesn't bother me. However, my dad is in charge of Canadian sales for snow shovels for his company, and to be frank we could use a good christmas bonus this year, so a few good storms by mid November would be great, the it can just stay green all winter, I don't care.

For the record I live in Southern Ontario in the GTA, that and Quebec are the places we really need to have a few storms

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I live in Melbourne.
Right now its middle of Spring, heading towards summer. So, no, its not snowing now.

It also rarely, if ever, snows, and never on the city or suburbs themselves. The closest we get is a mass of hail of either ridiculous size or number. Primarily number. There are times I can't see out the window that's how much hail's falling, though they're rare.

The only snow we get is the usually artificial snow up on Mt Buller. I believe it gets some natural snow in the middle of winter but I remember a large portion of it being artificial from when I last stayed with my granduncle at the resort he owns there. There isn't a ton of snow here in the land of the sun. I believe most of that's over with our sheep-loving neighbours ;)

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
SpAc3man said:
Considering the weather is getting warmer I can safely say I am not expecting any snow. Not that it ever snows in Auckland.
Another Kiwi?

I'm in the same boat except in Hamilton, at worst during winter you get frosts or fog.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Not yet, but I can feel it in the air. Won't be long now.

Can't wait, winter is my favourite season!

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Well I'm from Iceland so..........yeah, there is snow here.

Though I'm not exactly sure if it has snowed yet because I'm not in Iceland at the moment, but according to some reports, it is going to hit pretty hard during the middle of this week. So I guess there is that....