Poll: Is it worth it to get mass effect 3?

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I know I'm far behind, but heres my story. I just recently got a gaming computer and a good paycheck, so I decided to start getting into mass effect again. I played the first mass effect back in the day when my xbox was working and liked it. So I played went renegaded and it was as fun I remember. Then I downloaded the second mass effect on steam. It blew my god damn socks off.

Excited about getting the third despite what people where saying about the ending(don't want to know by the way just in case.) but I found it was available on steam. Now I might be inclined to buy it on Origin if only it wasn't still priced at $60 and on Origin the terrible things I've heard about the ending.

So I ask you escapist, is it worth it to get on origin to finish up the story? Or should I just get Dues ex, the other game I'm interested in thats reasonably priced and on steam, and wait in till the price of mass effect 3 dies down?

Captcha : I see

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
It's a great game as long as you play for the journey and not to reach the destination(ending). The game up until that part is a very great game. The combat flows a lot more than it did in 1 and 2, and each class plays in a unique way.

Multiplayer actually has a reason to be played. It increases the strength of your single player forces for the last mission. The multiplayer is horde-like game where you work to get better guns and upgrade powers, so there is always something to work towards. There are also community challenges that award guns when completed.

I can't speak for Deus Ex, as I've never played it, but I hope I helped.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Without giving away what the ending is, I can tell you why it was hated: it's the same no matter what decisions you made over all three games.

ME3 brings back weapon mods, which is good. However, the cover system is completely borked. I always ended up stuck to my cover like glue when I wanted to move and often ended up hopping over and crouching on the wrong side of the convenient chest-high wall when I wanted to hide. >.<

If you're comfortable with that, fine, flip a coin to decide if you want. I haven't played Deus Ex HR yet, so I can't say if it's any good.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mcupobob said:
inb4 the hate

the ending is going to slap you in the face..BUT I would say get ME3, because I still think the rest of the game is damn near worth it

AND if its any consoloation this isnt quite over yet...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
If you liked the previous two games, especially ME2, then chances are you'll love 99.9% of ME3.

Once you're done, this [http://shannon.users.sonic.net/masseffect/] will help ease the pain of that last 0.1%.

Human Revolution is good too. I'd definitely recommend getting it at some point, even though the ending is almost as shit as ME3's.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Since you really enjoyed the first two, then yes get the third one. You will like the majority of the game and you know what, you might even like the ending (slim chance but hey, keep an open mind).

When you beat the game, take a look at this web comic [http://koobismo.deviantart.com/gallery/]. It's a pretty good read and you can tell the creator is a big fan of the series.

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
No. Just buy it used and play it on your Xbox. Even better would be to just rent ME 3 because I assure you you will NOT be replaying Mass Effect 3 like you did Mass Effect 2. I have yet to meet one person who replayed ME3 after suffering through the trash ending. Not worth paying full price for that disappointment.

**By the way there's more wrong with it than just the ending. I had plot errors/inconsistencies with decisions made in my previous game. Really frustrating ones like Liara acting like the Shadow Broker run with my Shep never happened.**

Anyway, you sure as heck don't want Origin in your pc. Also, you will turn blue in the face and keel over dead if you hold your breath for a ME 3 sale on Origin.

Mass Effect 2 was the best game of all three.

If you want to see how much a slap in the face ME 3 is I suggest going over to the Bioware forums and hear it from the fanatics that live and breathe Mass Effect. There is even a non spoiler section.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Deus Ex all the way, avoid giving MORE money to EA.

^_^ seriously, you'll replay DEHR, but never touch ME3 again.

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
ResonanceSD said:

Exactly. You'll be paying $60 for a game you will never touch again if you go ME 3.

Savo

Jan 27, 2012
I'd strongly advise waiting until summer when the Extended Cut DLC comes out to buy ME3. Its a very good game, but the ending utterly ruins the game, as cliche as that may be by now. It is even more simplified than ME2, but I wasn't bothered much by that because of how amazing it is in every other regard.

However, because the ending is extremely damaging to the game as a whole, I'd advise not putting yourself through the heartbreak of seeing an awesome series destroyed in fifteen minutes. I have not played Deus Ex, but I hear it is an excellent game and should serve to hold you over in the meantime. Wait till summer and get a real ending, not the filler that's there right now. It'll give you a much more seamless experience and maybe even save you a few bucks =)

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
If you loved ME2, you'll probably dislike ME3 because ME2 characters are shafted pretty bad and focus is entirely on the ME1 characters. Some ME2 characters can easily be missed actually, that's how little they matter and can be hidden away from the player.

With most of the dialogue options, you only get two choices that tend to be two extremes and it doesn't matter what you pick because after that one line Shepard will say all the same auto-dialogue stuff. Just DL the demo and try this out yourself, or hell, watch some videos on youtube. In the opening scene of the game the player gets about three chances to pick dialogue (the third choice only appears if you import). Aside those three dialogue points, Shepard says about twenty plus lines of dialogue that will be said regardless of what you pick. In fact, from the moment Shepard first appears in this game, he/she says about eight lines of dialogue before the player gets the first option to pick something. A new character is even thrown in with almost no proper introduction for the player, Shepard just knows this person. This auto-dialogue happens across the majority of Mass Effect 3 and I don't know why they bothered to put choices in at all. It's pretty clear they wanted to make this an action adventure game like Assassins Creed or Uncharted and move away from action adventure RPG.

There are a handful of retcons and several characters, ME1 and ME2, are drastically altered in really bad ways. Either as horrible pandering to a stereotyped male audience(teenage boys with holes in their pockets) or to service a change of direction when it comes to Mass Effect themes to better suit the ending.

There is so much shock value to the story, most of it is illogical when you really think about it and you can get real sick. A certain character sits and does nothing, you get one conversation, then this character dies abruptly the next time you speak to them. The game can feel unpleasant to play because of the stuff they throw at you and in fact I know a lot of people felt so worn out by it that they nearly didn't finish the first play through.

Two LI for female Shepard are completely cut out and if you import with a particular type of game, she'll only have lesbian options available. Which is great if you want to play a lesbian female Shepard, at least you have multiple options there. Not so great for the straight female Shepard and it's only made more pathetic when she wakes up in bed, alone and in sexy lingerie with a lacy butt hole(I think it's so the gas can escape).

The few things I liked in this game: Game play was the greatest of the series, loved the skill trees, <3 Paladin pistol forever, the gay romances were mature and well done(lesbian, not so much), seeing characters move around the ship and acknowledge each other's existence for once, and my female Shepard looked awesome and had lots of expressions. Though she strangely lacked them at important parts and had them at parts I thought not so important.

I just can't put myself through that awful story, destruction of favorite characters, and Shepard's voice being taken away from me again. I don't recommend it to long time fans.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Mass Effect 3 is a decent enough game, the gameplay is okay, it has some shining bright spots and some execrable lows, the ending being one of the worst of them. But even at its best Mass Effect 3 still isn't as good as Human Revolution.

If you enjoyed all of Mass Effect 2, even the main plotline and aren't expecting any kind of payoff from any of the decisions you made in 1 and 2 then you should probably get 3 soon, maybe even next and use Human Revolution as a palate cleanser. But if there was any point that the outright stupidity of Mass Effect 2 had you clutching your head asking "why?" then you need to be prepared for a lot worse and really need to look at some of the other games you might have missed, because there were dozens of them last year alone.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I'd wait for the "complete edition" with all the DLC in place so you buy an actually COMPLETE game when it comes to mass effect.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
Yes. No matter what those whiners say, the ending did not ruin the game. It was terrible, but it doesn't make an otherwise fantastic game terrible.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
GoGoFrenzy said:
ResonanceSD said:

Exactly. You'll be paying $60 for a game you will never touch again if you go ME 3.
Are you serious? I've beaten ME3 four times now.

Anyways, I wouldn't buy ME3 on PC solely because of Origin. DE:HR is also an excellent game with high replayability, though it also has a bad ending. Just go with Deus Ex.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
Well, I got Deus Ex: Human Revolution a few days ago, and so far, it's shaping up to be one of this generation of consoles.
Mass Effect 3 I haven't played

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
ME3 is a fucking awesome game. The consistent 8-9 reviews are right, and all the screaming and whining can make it hard to see the actual game under the controversy, but it's there, and it's worth it. And the multiplayer is surprisingly not terrible (seriously, I wasn't expecting much at all, but I've put a lot of time into it).

sivloc

Aug 23, 2010
Zhukov said:
If you liked the previous two games, especially ME2, then chances are you'll love 99.9% of ME3.

Once you're done, this [http://shannon.users.sonic.net/masseffect/] will help ease the pain of that last 0.1%.

I don't think it is possible to thank you enough for this link, I'd say more, but I plan on spending the next 30 minutes finding every scrap of epilogue I can with this.

Edit: Almost forgot, OT: I would recommend ME 3, slightly more than DE:HR (look at all those acronyms I must be important). Both were excellent games in my opinion, but I got slightly more replayability (this is a word now) out of ME 3. Admittedly, that could be because I had played both of the previous games and was far more attached to their characters. Deus Ex was undeniably fun, but Mass Effect just felt more... full? Open? Something along those lines anyway.