Poll: Is It Wrong To Score Too Much?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Its women's basketball...who cares? AMIRITE?!?!

Seriously though, its not wrong to score too much. What the hell is the other team supposed to do? Twiddle their thumbs? If your team sucks, and suck *THAT* badly, then you need to obviously do something so this shit doesn't happen again. It should be a wake-up call to the horrible team. As for the team that scored that much, its free practice for you, thats all.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Honestly, and this is from someone who played on a juniors rugby team that lost one game by 112pts back in the dark ages, being absolutely spanked on the field wouldn't be half as embarassing as having the other team hold back to 'spare your feelings' or some such shite.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Yes, it is probably painful to lose by that much in a game but why should the other team not be able to score if able (i.e. reinforce the lead they have). When will anyone ever improve if people go easy on them just to make them feel better. This isn't some kindergarden game where it's alright for the kids to just have fun; this is a high school game for crying out loud.

What if one student on a test for 100% while everyone else got 5%? Should that student be criticised because he/she made all the other students look bad by doing so well? What was the winning team supposed to do anyway? It's up to the losing team to forfeit when they can see they are clearly fighting a losing match.

Schools really need to stop teaching that people will just hand you things in life, because let me tell you, that is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Ouch, 105 points, hefty :eek:

My teacher in martial arts has said that in tournaments if you are clearly superior you shouldn't overwhelm and humiliate the opposing fighter, and I'm inclined to agree, but on the other hand maybe they saw too many of those cheesy sports movies where the good guys team is losing by a lot and barely pulls through and wins in the end and were worried that'd happen to them :p

---

Everyone has such a hostile opinion about this xD

I'll take a mean cue from several manga characters I've seen and go one route:
If they can be beaten that badly then forget about self-esteem, they should just disband and do something else.

Going back to the subject, as long as they were sportsmanlike and didn't act cocky about it, I'd probably say it wasn't pushing anything.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Serious question: if this were men instead of women, do you think this would be in the news at all?

A test of competition should be between two people trying their best. You should strive to become as good as the person/people who beat you; not have it so they dumb themselves down to your level. There is always going to be people far better at you in almost everything you do.

Not playing seriously would have been far more unsportsmanship like. Basically saying "you're so crap, we don't need to really try against you".

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Honestly, what would make you feel worse? That you lost by more points than normal (Which won't be recorded, if it's even being recorded, as anything different if you lost by 1 opposed to 105?), or that the other team needed to take pity on you so as to not embarrass you? I say score as many points as you need. It'll hardly make a difference in the end. One team wins and the other loses. Period.

Senor Alto

Jan 23, 2011
Some have posted that the coach should have put in the second and third stringers. i double checked and the coach had a total of 9 players available for both Varsity and Jr Varsity games. He didn't have a seconce string. these girls played a full game and scored 108 pts. I still don't really get why you can reasonably expect them to hold back when its for real, or why that would be benificial to anyone. I don't play bball, but i do fence. During practice, the coach goes easy on us to teach us the moves, but I faced off against him in a real tournament and he thrashed me. No mercy whatsoever. I actually didn't realize how good he was until then. My point is that its fine to be gentle in practice, but when its game time there is no excuse for not giving everything you have. My dad ran track in high school and won a heat easily and got chewed out by the coach for not pushing himself to the limit. Pandering doesn't help anyone.

And as someone pointed out earlier, would this have been an issue at all if it had been mens basketball? Are we still locked into the 'must protect weak females' mindset? Is it healthy?

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Nerdygamer89 said:
This is in the U.S. right? *checks* Yeah, it's in the U.S. My country saddens me sometimes. Everyone is so concerned with self esteem. "We must have more SELF ESTEEM!" "The children must have more SELF ESTEEM!" Self esteem is great, and generally necessary for a human being to function properly/independently, but I seriously think the self esteem movement has made this entire generation into a bunch of pansies. Kids can't even play dodge-ball in school anymore because whatever we do, we can't afford to expose them to any healthy competition. Everyone's a winner, after all!

Blah, anyhow, pet peeve of mine. On topic: who cares? Why is it such a big deal that they beat the other team by that much? They were just the better team and last time I checked it's not against the rules to be the better team.
Yes, because GOD FORBID that we try to make sports fun for all involved instead of just the good teams. You know if the team had lost by let's say 40 or 50 points, this wouldn't be an issue, one team was just clearly better than the other, but with a margin that high, you reach a point where you know the other team has no chance of coming back, and then you make the conscious decision to keep piling on the points. At that point it's just rubbing it in, and poor sportsmanship. This isn't professional sports, or even college sports (where it would still probably be looked on a bit poorly) it's freakin high school sports.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
The point of playing isn't to get massively ahead then jsut stop fighting back, it's a timed battle between two forces, meaning that the score doesn't matter until the end. Basically, if you are playing a sport, you play with everything you have for as long as you have (the time limit), everything else takes a back seat (except the rules ... and the law)

EDIT:
Nerdygamer89 said:
but I seriously think the self esteem movement has made this entire generation into a bunch of pansies.
Hey, that hurts my 'new generation' feelings!!! (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist)