Poll: Is John Marston an enduring, iconic character?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
As a few have said; iconic isn't really the right word you're looking for. Really, I'm just repeating what's been said, but whatevs...

Emblematic of a truly great game - in the gaming community? Absolutely.
Enduring [in the gaming community]? Nah, you don't earn that with just one game, which didn't exactly shift insane units.

So no, Marston doesn't qualify for iconic in any sense of the word. Well, in that he exists, wholly, relative to iconoclasm of cinema and pop-culture throughout the ages, yes, but that's not what you were asking about.

I think you'd have to do a truly great job to really make the cosplay recognisable, too. Otherwise - as others have mentioned and alluded to - it's a very tricky design to make stand out.

(he's one of the best/my favourite gaming protagonists I've ever seen, though, so he always has that going for him. Rockstar North should take tips from Rockstar San Diego on how to craft a relatable, sympathetic and charismatic lead character)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I played up until I got to Mexico and even then, it took me a while to remember who John Marston was. I really don't see him as being an iconic character but I don't see why that should dissuade you from cosplaying as the guy. There are people who cosplay as the cogs that power the wheels of the Galactic Empire after all (and no, I'm not just talking about Stormtrooper cosplayers). John Marston is definitely more recognizable than someone like Garcia "Fucking" Hotspur or, Luneth from Final Fantasy III so cosplay as him if you'd like...he's just not an iconic character.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Who?
*Googles the name*
Wait, THAT'S his name?
Totally, and I mean, TOTALLY, forgot.

Dude is like the anti-iconic.

He couldn't be more of a boring looking stereotype of a cowboy if he had a scalp in one hand a a bottle of whiskey in the other.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Well, since my first response was "Who's John Marston?" I'd have to say no. And as far as visually recognisable. Not really. Too generic. In fact there are no visually striking cowboys that I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Clint Eastwood in the Dollars Trilogy and that's only because of the poncho.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I voted no, but it's a negation that needs to be preceded by a ton of cringing noises. He's not terribly iconic as far as Western characters go, but he absolutely is one of the best Western-type protagonists the gaming medium has received in decades.

To put it clearly, I wouldn't consider John Marston to be iconic as a fictitious cowboy or former rustler, but I'd say he's made his mark as a video game protagonist. Then again, hasn't every other protagonist from Rockstar done the same? I've only just started GTA V and I can see how people could latch onto Michael, Franklin or Trevor as likeable protagonists.

Terribly flawed protagonists, mind you - and definite antiheroes, all of them - but still protagonists in their own right.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
He's pretty completely forgettable.
So....no.
Obviously not.

There's nothing iconic or enduring about him whatsoever.

Jarek Mace

Jun 8, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
misfit119 said:
RDR might be a hell of a game and some people (not I) may think every game Rockstar releases has the greatest story since ever but Marston is a fairly weak protagonist.
Every game Rockstar releases? This is the only one that comes close to having a good story.
And fewer with memorable characters. I always felt like Marston was a cowboy suit and accent strapped to Nico to be honest.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Who? Was my initial reaction, someday I have to pick RDR off the shelf and actually play it (especially as it's the second time I've bought it, first in the UK and again when I got to Aus)

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Zhukov said:
Define "iconic" in your own words.

Because I'm not entirely certain that that word means what you think it means.

He's iconic in the sense that he conforms to the traditional cowboy character archetype. He's a tough, gruff, somewhat laconic, no-nonsense gunslinger who slings guns, rides horses and wears a hat. He could easily have been played by Clint Eastwood.

I'm not so sure that he iconic in the sense of being the quintessential video game cowboy. If only because there aren't that many video game cowboys around.

Recognizable? Uhh... sure? I mean, I recognize him. Damn near anyone who's played the game will recognize him. If you mean recognizable in wider culture then no, fuck no. He's utterly unknown outside of gaming.

Enduring? No, not really. When it comes to video game characters, longevity is based at least somewhat on reoccurrence. Lara Croft is iconic at least in part because she just keeps bloody coming back. She stays fresh in the memory. Same with, say, Mario, who has been getting games for like 30 years now. Mr Marston got one game and presumably isn't going to be getting another. He'll be forgotten along with his one game. Red Dead Redemption was a passable game I suppose, sold well, reviewed well and all that, but it was hardly an unforgettable classic that will loom over the medium for many years to come like, say, Doom was.
Funny you should say that...over the weekend me and my mates were all discussing games we would like a sequel to and only 1 game got all round approval...