Poll: Is My Brother Slow?

ubermonkey37

Nov 20, 2009
I was playing on my brother's xbox account because mine ran out of live and I don't want to renew it because I don't have time to play much anymore. His account was set to auto sign-in and I didn't think he would make a big deal out of it considering he is 20.

That night, I went to play online with some friends, but he put a password on his account and when I asked him about it he said "The only reason I'm not sueing is because I wouldn't make enough to cover the cost of a lawyer". He was very angry and keep in mind we generally get along fine.

I believe that:

1. He is over reacting; me playing on his account does nothing to effect him negatively, and given the expected maturity level of an adult, he should calm down.

2. His case, if he were to take it to court, would get no where considering he left his account to automatically sign-in for who ever turns on the console (the console is both of ours, we each played for half), and that it is so insignificant.

What do you guys think? Is he just over reacting or did I commit a serious crime?

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
I'll answer your question: it's an invasion of privacy, and furthermore it is leeching.

Unless I'm not seeing something more in this than I should, I honestly [in my humble opinion, mind you] don't know why exactly you'd post this on the escapist forum other than to heal what might have been an emotional outburst coming from yourself.

Hell, I'd write this off as a bad emotional outburst from you both.
Go play some good single player games... Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption... Deadspace 1 - they are more fun than you think. Xbox Live has one purpose to me - the ability to stream videos on Netflix through the large screen in my room.

Of course, this also assumes you're socially inept like myself.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
People have been charged with felonies [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/27/leon-walker-wifes-email_n_801679.html] for similar scenarios. You really shouldn't log onto people's accounts without their express permission, the law hasn't quite caught up to the tech. and there's a lot of grey area.

Whether or not he would've won in court is immaterial, you were in the wrong here. And what does him being 20 have anything to do with it? Plenty of adults are petty and vindictive, and he's barely an adult.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Um, your brother's kinda a dick, dude. So are you, but that really doesn't excuse either of you. It probably would've been fine if you'd just asked him in the first place, that's how my brother is. I'd be pissed if someone had been on my system without my permission, especially if I had specific plans with what I wanted to do and they even had a chance to screw it up. Even if not, I want to make my character my own and my stats to represent me, and having someone else play on my account would negatively impact that. Threatening to sue though? He's blowing air out his ass, there's no way that would get anywhere. You need to learn a little respect for his personal boundaries, and he needs a rather large chill pill.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I think the usual courtesy is to ask someone first if you can use their account. He got the impression that you were going to use his account without asking if he hadn't put a password on it. So, i can understand why he's annoyed (A little ott but still) but you should have clearly asked him if it's okay to use his account first.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I get really pissy with my own brother when he uses my computer without asking me.

If you thought he would have been fine with it, freaking ask him next time. Suppose you had gotten him banned. How would you feel then? How would HE feel? It's an invasion of privacy.

Yes, he would be going overbord with a lawsuit, but still, you are 100% in the wrong here.

GOOD DAY!

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
I don't know why he is 'slow' for this. Sounds like a privacy OCD thing. Perhaps you have a history of being nosy and he is tired of it.

He still is overreacting.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
He was an idiot for leaving his account signed in, you were a dick for using his account.

I think that if you went to court the judge would just knock your heads together and say come back when you have a REAL case.

In all seriousness though, I'd say that you invaded his part of the X-Box when you could have just ASKED him permission instead and avoided the whole issue.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
Someone else using my account really wouldn't bother me, I think he really over-reacted. Perhaps you should have asked him, but if he was unavailable then I don't believe you did anything to warrant that kind of a reaction from him. Especially from someone who is twenty years old.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Wow, you guys have some serious brother relation issues. I don't think my brother or myself would care if either of us used each others accounts for the various games we play, though we don't engage in banworthy or douchebaggy behavior.

Hell, when I login on League of Legends I get half a million messages asking if it's me or my brother.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Really it depends on the individual on how they react to their space being invaded. Some people don't care, others really do care. A great deal in fact. Personally, I wouldn't be raging, but irritated. But I probably wouldn't confront them about it just to keep things breezy. My sisters and brother and I shared game systems growing up. You would not believe the crap they put me through. Erased saves, playing over my save, playing from MY save, using my memory cards; all without asking.

If he took it to court that would be WAY overreacting and just plain stupid in this case - but he was probably just letting off steam when he said it. However, I do feel he was right to be at least irritated with you (not raging but irritated), regardless of his age. You shouldn't be invading his privacy in the first place, even if you felt entitled to because of your relation. Some people really take that to heart, since their personal space has been invaded and they feel a sense of vulnerability. Even if it is just an X-Box account. But I'll agree that he shouldn't have had an auto-sign in, especially if he didn't want anyone else logging on to his account. Err on the side of caution.

But the fact that you don't think you were at all wrong for going on someone elses personal account without their permission, whether or not it impacted anything negatively, is odd in itself. I don't even log into my Husbands accounts without asking him first. It's just polite and shows you respect the fact that whatever it is, is theirs.

Next time, just ask.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aaaaand he's overreacting, unless he's specifically told you not to do this before. Next time, ask.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Zarkov said:
I'll answer your question: it's an invasion of privacy, and furthermore it is leeching.
I agree with this
Dags90 said:
People have been charged with felonies [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/27/leon-walker-wifes-email_n_801679.html] for similar scenarios. You really shouldn't log onto people's accounts without their express permission, the law hasn't quite caught up to the tech. and there's a lot of grey area.

Whether or not he would've won in court is immaterial, you were in the wrong here. And what does him being 20 have anything to do with it? Plenty of adults are petty and vindictive, and he's barely an adult.
And this.

Just ask him. If my brothers tried to use my laptop or sign into my name without my permission I'd get pissed to.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Zarkov said:
Pretty much this. What you did was wrong, and the fact that you went and basically called your brother slow afterwards shows that you're getting way too pissy about the situation. You definitely should have asked for permission first. As for whether or not your brother overreacted, it may be that you have a history of being nosy and he got fed up, or he may have had an irrational outburst. I can't say.