Poll: Is PC gaming really dying?

Faky

Oct 15, 2009
PC gaming is not dying, but it very much dead for me. Let me explain.

For me PC ports are really not worth the play. Narrow corridors, mostly animations instead of actual playing, one bullets for all weapons style simplification (i blame consoles and companies that try to pull more (stupid) players in) and i could go on.

True PC games with great atmosphere and gameplay for me were System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Fallout 1 and 2, Baldurs gate, Torment, Medal Of Honor Allied assault,... Mostly games before 2002 as you can see. There are some newer games i liked - Stalker, Mount&Blade:warbad and Dragon Age but then i believe the list ends. Others like Fallout 3 - while good i wish it would be named otherwise, because Fallout for me was top view turn based game. Bioshock - a spiritual successor to System Shock? Nah, its close but lacks a few key elements that SS2 had - like inventory and choices what to bring with you...

While i enjoyed even Bad Company 2 it just smelled bad with awkward console feeling, terrible menus and really bad hitreg. Not what i would expect from a good PC game anyway.

So no - pc gaming will not die, because younger folks prefer the good graphics and didn't even taste any of the older games because of lack of it. Even if they try, those games are too hard (complex?)for them and they go back to one button smashing and narrow corridors where goals are clear.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
CarlMinez said:
Why would anyone want to buy a console?
Some games just play better on a console, such as racing games. Ive tried playing toca, and the keyboard/mouse just didn't work well at all. Also, I have more friends on console than PC, so I almost always get people (that I know) to play with. Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be a PC vs console post:

OT: No, it isn't dying. Publishers seem to be applying more resources to console, because it's a market that is quickly expanding, and therefore gets them money. Nevertheless, PC gaming is on the rise, and is nowhere near death.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
"I'm guessing 5"
*scrolling down the thread*

Guessed wrong. The Picture appears first in post 4. As Onyx Oblivion stated, there should be a more modern version; If someone offers me titles to put there, I'll do one.

OT: No.

cannot_aim

Dec 18, 2008
Computer Gaming isn't going anywhere.

It's probably doing better than all consoles and has some of the coolest innovation going on in all of gaming.

AKA Minecraft

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Baradiel said:
CarlMinez said:
Why would anyone want to buy a console?
Some games just play better on a console, such as racing games. Ive tried playing toca, and the keyboard/mouse just didn't work well at all. Also, I have more friends on console than PC, so I almost always get people (that I know) to play with. Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be a PC vs console post:
Well, I guess that makes sense when you think about it :)

rockera

Jul 29, 2009
I don't know why people think it is, it's just people saying it's dying because they've heard that from other people.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Just as pirates have spread the incorrect rumors that *all* drm is effectively computer cancer and eats hard drives for breakfast, the "pc gaming is dying" is a massively over-exaggerated rumor circulated by people who were probably paid to do so. It has stuck just as well.

If pc gaming were actually dying, there wouldn't be a question. Digital distribution numbers for games wouldn't be hidden, there'd be pleas for help everywhere you look, and general chaos(Like the World of Goo thing, except everywhere).

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
CaptQuakers said:
hutchy27 said:
CaptQuakers said:
Pc gaming is something I have a love hate relationship with. I buy a game and love it the next one comes out and BOOM I need a new computer to play it. It's one of the most annoying things about PC gaming and It's not a problem you have with consoles.
It not that drastic, I had this computer for about eight years now and only need to think of getting a new one now as I cannot play any of the brand new ones. But the rest work perfectly.
That is true. I did go a bit ott. But you can go from playing with everything on high to have to put everything on low it can be a bit annoying.
You got a point there.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Klumpfot said:
With platforms like Steam? No way.
True this. Between digital distribution, the steadily increasing "need" for a computer in the household, and the unique types of controls it offers I don't see PC gaming dying out anytime in the near future.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Really lets look at the minecraft statistics

2792 players online, in 914 servers.
4539006 registered users, of which 1370912 (30.2%) have bought[*] the game.

In the last 24 hours, 40173 people registered, and 11115 people bought the game.
Really dying isn't it.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Given that the list of PC games at this point seems to consist solely of shitty console ports and glorified flash games I would say yes.

Baneling Aspect

Feb 20, 2011
It's doing pretty well, I think. We've got several companies consistently producing high-quality games either exclusive to or primarily marketed and designed for the PC, such as Valve and Blizzard. Games on the PC might not sell as well as games on consoles, but the controls can handle so many more types of games than consoles can (RTSs being the big one) and companies are fairly confident in it anyway, so I see no problem with the PC market at all. It's not that PC gaming is dying, it's just that console gaming is even more popular.

As much as this makes me sound like a PC fanboy, I do own several consoles, modern and older, and enjoy them all.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
llagrok said:
Assassin Xaero said:
It's ok. Sure Steam helps, but Steam doesn't make games better. Indie games for PC are doing amazing, but other games, well, the PC version gets the shaft more times then not.
Who really cares about the "PC version" ? I like PC because of its countless exclusives, though certain games certainly are nice to have available.
Countless? Besides indie games there is... strategy games? Maybe a few RPGs? Those are boring.

templargunman

Oct 23, 2008
Think games like civ 5 and the total war games, those games with that level of depth (Don't talk to me about that civ rev junk, it was fun but it wasn't civ) can't be ported to consoles. PCs also have way better graphics and processing capabilities than consoles, so they can run benchmark games like crysis. I know crysis 2 is getting put on the xbox, but it's going to look like a decomposed dog turd compared to the pc version. Also, steam downloads for games offer an amazing service for video games.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dying in any practical sense, no. I think there's a longterm issue, but....
...the exact same argument can be applied to the consoles.
Sure, and if you asked me if console gaming was dying, I might point that out.

but since this was about PC gaming....

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
llagrok said:
Assassin Xaero said:
llagrok said:
Assassin Xaero said:
It's ok. Sure Steam helps, but Steam doesn't make games better. Indie games for PC are doing amazing, but other games, well, the PC version gets the shaft more times then not.
Who really cares about the "PC version" ? I like PC because of its countless exclusives, though certain games certainly are nice to have available.
Countless? Besides indie games there is... strategy games? Maybe a few RPGs? Those are boring.
So you have horrible taste then.

That's great.
The only RPG's I've liked were Final Fantasy's and Divinity II. I don't care for Blizzard's shit, and the only strategy games I've liked were Age of Empires and World in Conflict, all the rest seemed like reskinned AoE. So, yeah. I like fun games, you know, like Bulletstorm. Oh, and just because I don't like the boring games you do doesn't mean I have horrible taste.