Poll: Is PC gaming worth the discomfort?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
moretimethansense said:
Vrach said:
I'm sorry for getting posters confused, it was about 3:30 am here when I posted that.

And I'm fully aware that never moving will cause muscles to atrophy but as I (think) I said earlier lying down for a few extra hours a day most likely won't be all that bad for your back, as you said if you get up and walk about a bit your getting the exercise it needs.
Even though I said I sped all day in bed I don't simply lie there stock still, I tend to move around, shift position regularly and get up to "pace" now and then, but perhaps that's just me, I'm kind of an oxymoron I'm incredibly lazy but completely restless, the thing is when I'm using my PC on a desk I tend to lean forward and not really move so my back locks up after a particularly long session, I simply find this setup more comfortable.
If you've found a way to play at a desk with comfort then more power to ya, it's just with the way I sit a good chair would only be helping my arse stop going numb.

And yeah, if I actually don't get out of bed at all I tend to get a little restless myself.

Also, it sucks about the bedridden thing, I spent about two years not moving due to depression, when I came round enough to get out of bed I found that I could barely walk, mostly because I'd gained about a foot in height without realising it though.

To end I'd just like to say the OP asked whether PC gaming was worth having to sit at a desk, or if you preferred lying down with a console, I gave a third option that's all, it's not as though I was saying "disregard movement, acquire gamerscore or something.
Aye, 'tis all fair enough, as I said, it's a matter of preference as far as comfort goes, my advice was just aimed at being helpful cause it didn't seem right to just nod to a person saying they lie around all day in addition to sleep :p

And I didn't actually see you introducing the third option, I was just answering to you quoting me saying "lying down is fine for your spine". But aye, the third option is there and there's also the option of playing on a laptop or a MacBook, I had a friend who did that.

I just don't see it being healthy in the long term, it might be cool when you're really knackered once in a while or if you get a lot of exercise and don't spend too much time playing to make up for lying down (as well as give your body the rest it probably needs under such circumstances), but in a classic "playing PC/consoles all the time and not moving", chair beats bed as far as health goes, at least from my knowledge and in my opinion :)

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Vrach said:
snip again
Well that's fair enough, I was merely questioning that laying down could hurt your spine on it's own, of course doing it all day can't be good for you, but then what is?

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
2 words... Bean Bag.

If chairs are uncomfy, find a way to lower your computer, hold the keyboard/mouse in your lap and just relax in a big ol' bean bag seat. Total bliss :D

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
I'm just confused of why it's uncomfortable gaming on the PC. I sit like a dream. If you can, invest in a good computer chair. Really makes it a whole lot better!

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Actually, where i'm currently living, my PC gaming setup is far more comfortable than my console rig (PS2). I Play PC on my laptop while lying down on the sofa (it has an attached lounge chair), but our PS2 sofa is just an old wooden bed with some pillows (not very comfortable, long-term).

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
x434343 said:
I say, no problems.

I'm actually kind of pissed at Alan Wake developers. I really WANT to play that game. I refuse to, though, because the developers refuse to port it because it "breaks the mood of the game". That just sounds like they don't want to port it.
And bullshit like "Xbox Achievement Unlocked" somehow doesn't ruin the mood of the game?

I'm fed up of Microsoft's pathetic excuses for going back on their promise of supporting PC.

AwesomeNinjaPowers

May 31, 2009
I bought a wide chair-bed thing from Ikea which I discovered was the perfect height to use at my computer, as I like sitting with my legs crossed, but I can't imagine ever lying down to play games on either my console or my computer, it's sounds so bad for your back.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Well, right now the only table I have for playing pc games is around knee height when I'm sitting down.

And I still play.

Suck it up!

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
I voted yes. But this is wrong.
Get a good chair. Get a good table.
OR
Use it wherever you want and just find or create a a solid surface to run your mouse on.

I am never uncomfortable.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Frankly I've never yet found a pc game with makes for a more enjoyable gaming experience than a console game.

With fps's such as L4D or Black Ops, I do not use a chair at all, but play standing up, close to the screen. In fact, I've often found myself to be standing in a fighting stance when playing them. I don't really know why.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What discomfort? Any added complexity is outweighed by the broader functionality, at least for me.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
To the extent that it truly is discomforting to PC game, yes, it is worth it or I wouldn't do it.

Both experiences have the up and downsides. I tend to play PC at a desk, Console from a comfy chair with surround sound and 55" LED TV.

But in the near future, I hope to have surround sound for my PC (I have very good 2.1 now) and 3 32" LED monitors in SLI or Crossfire mode. That's gonna be sweeeeeet.

or... gahd, what's this thing going to cost me!??!?!

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
SevenForce said:
Don't forget you can buy xbox 360 controllers for computers, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

Though microsoft like to be awkward so an xbox 360 controller meant for xbox 360s won't work on a computer and vice versa, even though they both use USB sockets.
This isn't true, Xbox 360 controllers work on both Xbox 360s' and PCs'. Use one.

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
Apparently sitting down with your hands on a keyboard and mouse is extremely awkward and uncomfortable now?