Poll: Is radio still relevant to you?

Feb 9, 2011
I haven't listened to the radio in years. I can't stand how they take one song from any new CD and slap it on repeat until I hate it. I avoid the radio now and stick to my iTunes playlist.

Okamipsychonaut

Mar 30, 2010
my previous two jobs allowed me to listen to whatever I wanted...so when my favorite talk show( I have been my own music provider for years)ended...and subsequently became a podcast...I listened to that too...so radio was gone. But then I just got a job where officially we are not allowed to wear headphones and listen to our own music but can play background radio. So there is this long running alternative radio station( I cannot stand pop music for the most part..or classic rock, or new rock) which is as annoying in it's repetitive playing of only album singles chosen back in the day when corporations still had sway. So my co worker told me about the same station playing local as in Pacific Northwest indie music. Right off the bat this was interesting( all genres, punk, electro, rap, rock, cutesy I am a girl empowered music) and so that is always my choice to listen to...so now I DO listen to radio...AM at that.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I never listen to the radio. If I want to hear a piece of music and it's not in my iTunes library, I will look it up on youtube - even if there's no video for it, someone has uploaded the song with either some lyrics, or a photo montage of the band/artist.

The only time I am in a place where radio is playing is taxis - and they usually have it tuned to some awful talkback radio station where people call in to either whine about their first world problems, or share their hateful opinions on racial/political/socioeconomic issues.

Maybe if I had a car and drive around it would be different. Since I catch public transport everywhere, that's when I do most of my reading (I have a 1 hour commute to work every day).

Elijah Ball

Jan 29, 2011
i only listed to radio in the car, and most of the time i just hook up my ipod. never have listened to the radio at home or on the computer.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
it is for me because its where i get most of my music and listen to classics. it would take to loong to get them all together on a playlist or on youtube, and by then you know the order so it gets boring.

evilartist

Nov 9, 2009
Radio was only relevant when there were good talk shows on, which died for me when KLSX (in Los Angeles) changed formats to a shitty Top 40 station. Fortunately, Adam Carolla and Heidi & Frank still do podcasts/online radio now, so I just download them. :)

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I listen to the radio every now and then in the car when I have absolutely run out of music to play, and I have a 6-cd changer so...

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Oh radio, tell me everything you know...

Actually, no, I don't listen to the radio much. No use for it. Most of the music I like won't be played on it anyway, and I'd rather just control what I'm listening to if I'm in a car. No MP3 player for me, just music on CDs.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
I very rarely listen to the radio. Generally, I either use USB, AUX, or Bluetooth (in my car). At home, I'll go on YouTube or listen to MP3s on my computer.

As for satellite radio... it's pretty cool, but I wouldn't be willing to pay monthly for it.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
I can't stand listening to the radio. Half of it is either irritating commercials or tragically unfunny morons trying to convince people they're worth listening to rather than the music they're supposed to be playing. If people want talk radio, that's what talk stations are for.

To be fair to the medium, it's suffering the same fate as the newspapers: a drastically reduced level of relevancy in the age of data accessibility. The internet itself was a hit in their popularity, but before smartphones and tablets, both at least had a niche. But now both are simply anachronisms, and they'll eventually fade into obscurity.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone too far. We put the blame on radiobeingtotalshitbiscuitstowhichevenmydreadfulsingingvoiceispreferable... R.

But seriously, radio's dead.

thetruefallen

Mar 12, 2008
My new car doesn't have a ipod jack in it so i have started listening to the radio a lot lately, before that it was either my personal music or pod casts.

brucelee13245

Oct 25, 2009
I listen to the local country station, with my windows down, in my pickup truck, with my girl under my arm. gives me the whole country feel. And i love it. Other then that, not so much.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
When I'm driving around, I always listen to the radio and when I'm home, I'm often listening to online radio.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
I listen to all sorts of radio stations when I'm in the car, partially because my boyfriend has what we've termed 'musical ADD' (he swaps from station to station all the time).

Radio is relevant to my interests, literally. I want to be a DJ. I've had that dream since I was a tiny little tot. My little brother has a radio show in my hometown (or will again, starting in a couple of weeks), and I'm determined not to let him show me up.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
I listen to the radio while in the car (usually can't be bothered with setting up ipods in the car as I like to change the song way too much which is dangerous) and when I wake up in the morning (alarm).

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Personally, I don't use the radio for music anymore ( except on occasion) But I do use it for news pretty much EVERY day.... I find it much more encompassing and much less parisan and or opinionated than the TV networks. ( NPR that is)