Poll: Is Spec Ops: the Line overrated?

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
IronMit said:
TheKasp said:
Video games are a medium of storytelling an a way that movies and books can't convey due to interactivity as well as length.

Tell me, why should this message not be conveyed in video games?
Because he doesn't like the way it feels...lol

and he doesn't like his genre being criticised or turned on it's head

It's a subjective view (well within his rights) but he tries to turn it into an absolute by the blanket statement 'this message should not be in video games'.
Because no-one should be told that they are wrong to enjoy a certain genre of video game. And no one should have to pay money for a game that tells them to stop enjoying the games they love.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, a bit. The fans do rather like to bang on about it, huh?

I still liked it though. If nothing else, I appreciate what it was trying to do even if the implementation was on the sketchy side.

Also, I actually enjoyed the combat somewhat, even though I apparently wasn't supposed to, because, y'know... subveeeersive.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
Dryk said:
I find that one of the best parts of the game is that it makes you consider (and inevitably disagree with) something that has NEVER even crossed your mind before it calls you out on it. You CAN just turn away and go home. Alt+F4. If you/Walker decide to rationalise it as someone else's fault and press on more power to you and in that sense it is identical to every other war game instead of the one fundamental difference of it calling you out on it instead of fist bumping you afterwards

I find it fascinating that nobody questions this stuff in any game that doesn't try to ask them to sit down and think about what they've done.
Why do people praise this game by saying it makes you want to quit playing it? How is that a good thing?

Please just think about it for a moment. If that is the case then the developers have designed a game that sends the message that they do not want you to play this game. In that case perhaps they are doing something wrong and should find a different industry to work in.
You just need to take a step back and see it a bit more like art and bit less like a game. Spec Ops doesn't have fun gameplay as a prime goal, but critique on tropes and the FPS genre and players in general as it could only be delivered in an interactive medium and a self-aware audience. It's similar to a bit of the Stanley Parable (not gonna spoil it for you if you haven't played it, but if you have you should see the parallel).

Do traditional games mostly focus on having fun? Yes. Does this mean we should restrict the interactive medium to this goal? No. There's plenty of space for dramas, horror entries and fourth-wall-breaking critique in this medium.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
I thought the narrative aspect was good, but the fact that fun gameplay was sacrificed to make it so was not a good decision my eyes. Also I a left wondering how much praise it would've garnered if it HADN'T come out when it did, amidst a torrent of modern military shooters.

In short: overrated, but still good.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
IronMit said:
TheKasp said:
Video games are a medium of storytelling an a way that movies and books can't convey due to interactivity as well as length.

It's a subjective view (well within his rights) but he tries to turn it into an absolute by the blanket statement 'this message should not be in video games'.
Because no-one should be told that they are wrong to enjoy a certain genre of video game. And no one should have to pay money for a game that tells them to stop enjoying the games they love.
Why not?

A developer is allowed to make a game with any message they damn well please.

(Y'know, unless they break the law. But somehow I doubt commenting on video game genre conventions breaks hate speech laws.)

Nobody "has to pay money for a game that tells them to stop enjoying the games they love" becuase they can, y'know... not buy the game.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Marik Bentusi said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Dryk said:
I find that one of the best parts of the game is that it makes you consider (and inevitably disagree with) something that has NEVER even crossed your mind before it calls you out on it. You CAN just turn away and go home. Alt+F4. If you/Walker decide to rationalise it as someone else's fault and press on more power to you and in that sense it is identical to every other war game instead of the one fundamental difference of it calling you out on it instead of fist bumping you afterwards

I find it fascinating that nobody questions this stuff in any game that doesn't try to ask them to sit down and think about what they've done.
Why do people praise this game by saying it makes you want to quit playing it? How is that a good thing?

Please just think about it for a moment. If that is the case then the developers have designed a game that sends the message that they do not want you to play this game. In that case perhaps they are doing something wrong and should find a different industry to work in.
You just need to take a step back and see it a bit more like art and bit less like a game. Spec Ops doesn't have fun gameplay as a prime goal, but critique on tropes and the FPS genre and players in general as it could only be delivered in an interactive medium and a self-aware audience. It's similar to a bit of the Stanley Parable (not gonna spoil it for you if you haven't played it, but if you have you should see the parallel).

Do traditional games mostly focus on having fun? Yes. Does this mean we should restrict the interactive medium to this goal? No. There's plenty of space for dramas, horror entries and fourth-wall-breaking critique in this medium.
I can understand your point. But to have to pay money in order to play a game that tells you not too enjoy yourself and to stop playing is something that I cannot support.

Tom Artingstall

Sep 23, 2011
I feel like it's been hindered by hype. I went into the game expecting an emotional rollercoaster which would leave me alternating between crippling guilt and existential terror as I contemplate the nature of my own hobby. Instead, I feel emotionally underwhelmed by a better-than-average story that told of, to me at least, not a man performing terrible acts in the school of war, but a man dragged along from one impossible situation to another.

In short: I never felt like I'd chosen to do something awful. I felt like I'd been steered to do something awful. And it's hard to hate myself when I know I'm supposed to do something awful, that there was no way to avoid doing something awful. I spent five minutes scoping around looking for an alternative to the white phospforous scene. I found none. There was exactly one road left open to me. It was that or turn off the game and go outs-

Wait. Was that the point? Damn son, I retract my statement.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
ShinyCharizard said:
Again no Spec Ops goes beyond this. From what you guys are arguing about me with. The message of this game is that you should not enjoy this and you are wrong to enjoy the genre. Again a terrible message and one that should have no place in a video game.
No. Spec Ops' message is not 'you are awful for playing for shooters', it's 'just stop for a second and think what you're doing'. Like all the best deconstructions, Spec Ops simply asks that you reflect on whether you're okay or not with the points it raises.

If, at the end of Spec Ops, you decided 'fuck you Yager, I like games that don't judge me for gunning down hordes of brown people', that's fine. It's a perfectly valid answer to the question Spec Ops poses. And if you feel that Spec Ops didn't deliver that message, or ask that question, that's fine too. Feel free to not like it.

But you have to understand that some of us did get smacked in the face by that message. I felt awful after I completed it. And after reading the suggestion that I always had a choice, as did Walker - the choice to just stop, it really made me think. So even if I didn't think the voice acting, pacing and atmosphere was excellent, I would praise the game to the high heavens simply because it got me to think, and reassess some of my opinions on videogame violence.

As to the question of it being 'stupid' for a game to make you not want to play it, that it's obviously a failure on the part of the developers... well, I'd explore that through movies - the go to comparison for stories, I guess.

Let me ask you, have you seen Schindler's List, or Gran Torino? If you have, did you enjoy them? Because I sure as hell didn't. The latter in particular made me very uncomfortable at times, but I still hold them up as absolute brilliant movies because I was still thinking about them hours afterwards. Yes, this analogy is horribly flawed, because there are so many other things about those movies to appreciate. The quality of the acting, the cinematography, the tightness of a script that isn't strung out by hours of pure gameplay. But my argument is that these are both films that are not meant to be 'enjoyed' as a two hour diversion with a bag of popcorn - they're points for consideration.

I don't think that posing the question 'do you really want to keep playing this?' is a failure on the part of the developers, so long as you realise the question is being asked and think about your answer. I suppose the big difference between games and movies is that going to see a movie that raises uncomfortable questions isn't a £40 investment.

And if you don't think Spec Ops challenged your preconceptions, or did it in a forced manner, that's fine. Just understand that everyone that did is going to praise it, and be wary of calling it 'overrated' just because it provoked a deep impact for a lot of people, but not for you.

MacNille said:
Yes. It is. It is a good game, but not THAT fucking good. Everyone on this side is rage masturbation over it story-line. Yes, the storyline is really damn good. WE get it. But here is the thing: I seen the story done before. It is called Apocalypse now. Sure, it is a movie and this is a game but whatever, I seen it before.
Actually, it's a book and it's called Heart of Darkness. The main bad guy is even named after the author ;-p

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yes. Although I'd say if it is, TWD is equally if not more overrated as well. Mainly because both games were praised to the moon and back, and then to the moon again, on here especially, and I've joined in heavily in extolling the virtues of both games. And rightfully so on both accounts I would add.

However, neither Spec Ops The Line or The Walking Dead could live up to the levels of hype they have here (or anywhere for The Walking Dead, Spec Ops seems to be underrated everywhere else, which means I bang on about it more here =P )

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
I can understand your point. But to have to pay money in order to play a game that tells you not too enjoy yourself and to stop playing is something that I cannot support.
People gain other things out of Spec Ops, it's not like it takes out the fun without a reason. Whether you like or dislike what you can get out of Spec Ops is up for taste and opinion of course, but regardless it shouldn't be judged by goals it didn't tackle. Of course ice cream doesn't taste like pizza and of course it's cold.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Zhukov said:
ShinyCharizard said:
IronMit said:
TheKasp said:

Why not?

A developer is allowed to make a game with any message they damn well please.

(Y'know, unless they break the law. But somehow I doubt commenting on video game genre conventions breaks hate speech laws.)

Nobody "has to pay money for a game that tells them to stop enjoying the games they love" becuase they can, y'know... not buy the game.
And how is this a known fact to people who buy the game. The whole point of the game lies in the story so I imagine people would go into playing it without spoiling it for themselves beforehand

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
ShinyCharizard said:
IronMit said:

It's making you question the games you love and asking you why you love them. I can still go immerse myself in any other FPS

You are upset because the game is trying to make you think..and you don't like what one of those answers are. An answer you can reject by just shooting Konrad and saying you were just along for the ride anyway.

I was watching fox news the other day and they said 'No one should be shooting other people in video games'.
Your argument is just as extreme but just with a different view point.

You can't seem to comprehend that if you don't agree with the message it may still have a place for other gamers

I am not telling you, you should like the game or the message. It's when you go off on tangent and say no game should criticise this genre, all games should be fun (even though a lot of movie's are not fun).
As someone else replied to you. You need to step back and look at games just like books and movies: they can be a medium of communication, ideas and thought provoking. Games are evolving but don't be afraid the fun games will always be the majority...just like for movies.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Marik Bentusi said:
ShinyCharizard said:
People gain other things out of Spec Ops, it's not like it takes out the fun without a reason. Whether you like or dislike what you can get out of Spec Ops is up for taste and opinion of course, but regardless it shouldn't be judged by goals it didn't tackle. Of course ice cream doesn't taste like pizza and of course it's cold.
This whole argument is going nowhere so I'm just going to have to agree to disagree.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
IronMit said:
ShinyCharizard said:
IronMit said:

It's making you question the games you love and asking you why you love them. I can still go immerse myself in any other FPS

You are upset because the game is trying to make you think..and you don't like what one of those answers are. An answer you can reject by just shooting Konrad and saying you were just along for the ride anyway.

I was watching fox news the other day and they said 'No one should be shooting other people in video games'.
Your argument is just as extreme but just with a different view point.

You can't seem to comprehend that if you don't agree with the message it may still have a place for other gamers

I am not telling you, you should like the game or the message. It's when you go off on tangent and say no game should criticise this genre, all games should be fun (even though a lot of movie's are not fun).
As someone else replied to you. You need to step back and look at games just like books and movies: they can be a medium of communication, ideas and thought provoking. Games are evolving but don't be afraid the fun games will always be the majority...just like for movies.
I'm not trying to tell anyone that they are wrong to enjoy the game. I'm merely defending my position as to why I dislike it and arguing the original notion that started this. When I was told this:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Why is it so ludicrous? The whole point of Spec Ops is that we shouldn't be playing these types of games. If you don't want to be a party to Walker's actions...don't play. That's their answer. Turn the game off. You can do it at any time.

Can't you?
Why can they tell you what games to enjoy or not enjoy. That is not something I want in a game.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
This thread just reeks of...
It was a thought provoking game that stayed with people despite it's shortcomings.
ShinyCharizard said:
Spunkgagelweewees have been doing that to themselves since MW2. Spec Ops is just stating the obvious (and preaching to the choir imo)

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
It's not literally telling you to stop playing the game, it's just that making that option known creates the parallel between Walker's actions and the player's.

As for not enjoying yourself well, what does it mean to have fun exactly? In games we typically get enjoyment out of levelling up, overcoming challenges, gaining points, winning, etc. Things that lead to happy feelings. Other mediums though aren't limited to happy emotions though, so why should games be? Does is Schindler's List a movie that makes you feel happy? It shouldn't be, yet it's a good movie, a movie that people want to watch despite the fact that it makes them feel sad, a negative emotion that you typically don't want to feel.