Poll: Is Stairway to Heaven one of the most overrated songs ever?

blaze338

Aug 12, 2008
I have to say i am a big fan of Led Zeppelin but Stairway to Heaven is no where near as great as it has always been said to be. In every greatest guitar solo or greatest song top list, Stairway to Heaven is always on it in like top 10. Personally I think Led Zeppelin has numerous songs that are way better, for example Black Dog, Dazed and Confused, Heartbreaker, Moby Dick, Good Times Bad Times, etc. So I want to know your opinion.

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
Yes, yes, oh god yes.

Don't mean to be Mr. Comparative but if you're talking epic story-telling guitar driven classics, then it's all about 'Free Bird'. Gimme a bit of Skynyrd any day.

Not a song that consists of 90% crescendo, only to finally kick off and then be over quicker than a 40 year old virgin's first pump inside a real woman! Maybe that's the metaphor, but I don't think it is.

So yeah, over-rated. Good call! :D

EDIT: Before anyone starts, I'm not slagging of the band and their entire works, simply agreeing with the OP in that people need to shut............the hell..........up, about Stairway To Heaven.

-- No Stairway.........Denied! --

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Never really cared for Stairway to Heaven. I used to listen to Led Zeppelin alot, like most older bands. I don't really care for them anymore, I like listening to "happy" music now, something thats cheery. Everything else just kind of depresses me.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
It's a good song, I like it.

Of course there are many other rock songs I prefer, for example Child in Time, but I wouldn't say it's one of the most overrated song ever, partly because of pop charts (overrated shit on a weekly basis) & partly because I'm not really aware of the opinions/greatest song lists etc. which 'overrate' it.

The Rusk

May 25, 2008
It's undoubtedly one of Led Zep's best songs, but yeah I kind of know what you mean. It feels as though their other great songs get mostly ignored, eg. heartbreaker, black dog, rock n roll, gallows pole, etc.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
I love led zep! But oh dear lord almighty(Yes I believe in God! Leave me alone!) I hate stairway to heaven.

TerribleTerryTate

Feb 4, 2008
From Led Zep, I rate songs like Nobodies Fault But Mine, or Achilles Last Stand as much better songs than Stairway To Heaven. All personal preference though I guess. I'm a drummer, and as such I much prefer both songs.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
in lack of a "sorta" option, i went with no, as i think its a great song, i may not be a zeppelin fan, and to be honest i dont think i've heard more then like 5-6 songs from them, but Stairway to Heaven is a classic, and i couldnt turn my back on it, but that might just be because i havent heard all that many songs from them.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
It's a good song. Not the best ever, yeah, but what "BEST EVAH!!1" really is?

Y'know a song that's really overrated? Yellow Submarine. It's one of the most sickening beatles song ever, comes out in the middle of the revolver completely breaking the flow.

Swenglish

Dec 21, 2007
Yeah, you're right. It is overrated. It's too long and boring. Some people may find it beautiful, and I can understand that, but for me it's just boring.

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
no

i mean, yeah it's overrated, and not as good as Kashmir, but still, it's a masterful composition. it's like Bohemian Rhapsody in it's epicness.

its not as overrated as, say, The Trooper or Purple Haze

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
ever school dance in the 70s and 80s says yes it is

it's been the last song for a lot of school dances for a LONG time

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
It's a good song and a rock anthem for sure, but I think it receives a bit more glory than it's worth. I like the lyrics, but the guitar solo doesn't exactly blow me away.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I don't go crazy whenever iTunes lands on it. I tend to prefer their faster stuff, but it definitely has its place.

Edit: GOD I would take it over Bohemian Rhapsody any day of the week. Stairway can NEVER be called overrated or especially overplayed whenever BR is anywhere in the discussion.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I don't think STH is as overrated as some people on this thread might be thinking, but it isn't the GREATEST song ever. It's still very epic and everything.

I prefer Free Bird or Bohemian Rhapsody