Poll: Is the Doctor (Doctor Who) Gay?

BANME111111

Jul 21, 2008
The Doctor(eight doctor) in the "Eight Doctor Adventure" book series, occasionally kissed and blatantly flirted with his male companion Fitz Kreiner. It was VERY IMPLIED that they were a little more than "just friends", and in one book I recall The doctor admitting to have a crush on Shakespeare.

Also:(fun fact)the Ninth Doctor's famous leather jacket was originally Fitz's.

I personally don't think he's gay, I think of him as more asexual.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
I think the human notions of sex and romantic love might confuse him somewhat. Doesn't mean he's not willing to give it a go though, it's just not a priority.

And he would defy categorisation, obviously.

Gewiz 1

Mar 27, 2010
Well, I am quite certain that the Doctor is part of an entirely different species, and is "the last" of his species according to him. So, no, he is not a homosexual, because there are no other members left of his species, technically. So really a good answer to why he backed away from River was because it was kinda weird to him to have that kind of relationship with someone of an entirely other species.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:
I really doubt the BBC would dare to air that, considering doctor who is a family/kids show.
But there's Captain Jack. He's unquestionably... Acutally, what is he? Bi? Pansexual? Xenophillic? All of the above? You know what? I'll just call him "experimental". And there were definitely lesbian side characters. Anyway, I haven't watched any of 11th Doctor's episodes yet, but my point is that BBC isn't averse to showing homosexual characters... or.. bi... or... experimental...

Gewiz 1 said:
Well, I am quite certain that the Doctor is part of an entirely different species, and is "the last" of his species according to him. So, no, he is not a homosexual, because there are no other members left of his species, technically. So really a good answer to why he backed away from River was because it was kinda weird to him to have that kind of relationship with someone of an entirely other species.
I dunno. Cross-species relationships seem to be quite common. Episode 2 of 9th Doctor, The End of the World, that flat lady... forget her name... She was commenting how she was the last "pure human". And then in Gridlock, 10th Doctor hitchhiked with an anthro-cat and human couple, complete with little kitten babies.

I never saw any of 11th's episodes, but I think he backed away from River because he KNOWS what will happen to her in her near future.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
It seems pretty clear that he's not too interested in.. anything. He's too busy nonviolently kicking ass.

If he did, though, he would be a lot like Jack Harkness. Yeoman Kelly Chambers said it best in ME2: "Character matters, not race (read: species) or gender."

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
I really doubt the BBC would dare to air that, considering doctor who is a family/kids show.
Well... BBC did air Torchwood, the Doctor Who spinoff... Where one of the main characters (the most badass of the crew) is openly gay, and is seen multiple times with his tongue down other mens throats... And another character being omni-sexual... To such a point of him commenting a poodles behind.

But on the other hand... Torchwood weren't really a family-show :p

Theseus32

May 14, 2010
BioRage1920 said:
The Doctor(eight doctor) in the "Eight Doctor Adventure" book series, occasionally kissed and blatantly flirted with his male companion Fitz Kreiner. It was VERY IMPLIED that they were a little more than "just friends", and in one book I recall The doctor admitting to have a crush on Shakespeare.

Also:(fun fact)the Ninth Doctor's famous leather jacket was originally Fitz's.

I personally don't think he's gay, I think of him as more asexual.
That's all well and good, but it's not canon.

And see this is why this entire discussion bothers me. As someone earlier put it, "why should him being married with a family mean he isn't gay?"

Ya know what? It doesn't. But it also gives no indication whatsofuckingever that he IS gay. I mean jesus tapdancing christ. Excentric? Definitely. British? Extremely. Enjoys smoking sausage? That's a bit of a stretch.

Point of fact, I think we need a new name for this. Let's call it Dumbledore Syndrome. It's when an author for no reason what so goddamned ever starts bringing up questions of a popular character's sexuality when it's neither relevant to the story nor relevant to the character.

"Oh. By the way, Dumbledore's gay. I mean obviously. An older grandfather figure who likes hanging out with young boys? And gandalf. And frodo, I mean seriously. what was going ON with him and sam. Hello!!! And Kirk was clearly bi for spock and picard and riker were obviously going at it. And don't even get me started on sam and dean in supernatural. I mean just because there is NO INDICATION OF IT WHATSOEVER doesn't mean that without empirical proof of them shagging some bimbet on screen in front of god and everyone that they're not smoking pole the millisecond they do the next jump cut. And even if they do, well that just clearly means they're obviously bi. So yeah, there's your childhood forever ruined for you. Enjoy."

This entire discussion makes my brain hurt.

Typecast

Jul 27, 2008
Aren't Time Lords 'made' and not born in the traditional sense anyway? Well, never mind, it's ok... I think he's adorable!

Typecast

Jul 27, 2008
Aren't Time Lords 'made' and not born in the traditional sense anyway? Well, never mind, it's ok... I think he's adorable!

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I just realised that everybody is branding Matt Smith's Doctor as gay for the exact same reasons I get labelled as gay. And I'm straight as they come! I just...kinda...well...I'm kinda camp about things. I can totally relate to the Doctor's flippant little hand movements.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
interspark said:
Akalistos said:
interspark said:
Akalistos said:
I've got a question for you now: Does It matter and, if yes, why?
not in the slightest, i just had a suspicion and now it's a full-scale debate ^_^
So, you only do this for attention then.
... i'm sorry, what part of what i just said made you feel like you had reason to call me attention-seeking? seriously, i'm curious, what part!?
Simple... Look at you Inbox to get the full reply.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I haven't watched a single episode, but I would say it is about a 0 on the scale of how much it matters

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
I know a friend of mine who is a HUGE fan of the Doctor and would absolutely LOVE it if he were gay because, and she admits this, it would make him much more attractive to her.

This friend is a 16-year-old lesbian, by the way.

I'll let you wrap your head around the idea of a girl, who has made the claim of only being attracted to girls, being attracted to a man who is only attracted to men.

I get this kind of crap from her all the time, to the point where it annoys me because it's pretty obvious she only supports those kind of ideals for the sake of her down-with-norms ideology that everyone should follow.

Simon Hadow

Mar 12, 2009
Gay? No. Has an apparent romantic relationship with River ( or at least, WILL depending on your perception of time). Bi? Possibly. Guess they could do something with that.