Poll: Is There A Statute Of Limitations On Spoilers?

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Drathnoxis said:
But it's this kind of logic that causes the perpetuation of spoilers in the first place!
Really? Not considering something a spoiler only once it's reached ubiquity is the logic that perpetuates spoilers? Because that's what I said, that's what you're saying perpetuates it, but that seems to be the opposite of spoiling something.
Well, maybe "in the first place" doesn't work for what you said, I was trying to make one response to all three of those quotes and that probably wasn't the best idea.

But, it certainly does perpetuate it. If people don't use spoiler tags for a spoiler that many people know because people don't use that spoiler tags for that spoiler then the spoiler will never fade from the public dialogue and nobody new will ever be able to experience that work unspoiled.

Unless I misunderstood what you meant by "spoilering." I assumed that meant the act of using spoiler tags.
Even if everyone used spoiler tags, people would still be spoiled on many many things. Stuff that enters the common mainstream is talked about in conversation, news, parody/satire, and even just common language. Satuday night live, college Humor, Robot Chicken have all done sketches that spoil the Darth Vader= Lukes father point. People bring up things like Romeo and Juliet dying as comparative metaphor for tragic romance. People quote such lines all the time in casual conversation.

I must be misunderstanding something here, because it almost sounds like you are saying that we should let the knowledge of plot twists fade from mainstream culture in order to let people who haven't experienced those works to remain unspoiled. That sounds absolutely ludicrous, you can't seriously expect our culture to allow things to fade from public dialogue or consciousness just to save people from experiencing spoilers, that would trash pop culture and comedy for almost no benefit.

Going in to old works completely unspoiled is not some important goal that we need to damage public discourse, comedy, and literary conversation/analysis in order to achieve. I really must be misunderstanding your line about letting spoilers fade from public dialogue, I just can't wrap my head around thinking that spoiling something is so important that encouraging it to fade completely from public dialogue should be seen as a good thing.

Sep 24, 2008
Drathnoxis said:
ObsidianJones said:
When I speak of the Stream, I speak of ease of actually viewing said event. Like say back in the 90's and early 2000's, I might ask someone if they saw Michael Jackson moonwalk for the first time. If they didn't back then, I honestly wouldn't have a clue how to show it to them. I didn't have any Michael Jackson tapes, they might not have cable, and even if they did, who knows when said event will be shown again?

But. If I ask someone if they ever seen Michael Jackson's first moonwalk today and they said no, I or they can bring out our phone and see it right then. That's the ease of the Stream I'm talking about.

Now, again, if I don't know if who ever I'm talking to knows about whatever topic, I ask before I speak.
I don't really get what you are saying. You say that once something is easily accessible it can be spoiled without warning, however you never do?
I explained what I meant by the 'stream'. And then my last sentence, I stated that if I don't know if someone knows about something, I ask if they know about it before I go on.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
CaitSeith said:
What a curious topic. Wouldn't it be because someone...

... complained that Jim Sterling showed the Aeris' death scene in his Jimquisition video last week in Youtube, and it got like over 3 dozen replies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRHYTzot8Po

Just a hunch.
Didn't I say that in the first line of the OP?
Drathnoxis said:
So there's been a bit of a debate about Jim Sterling giving spoilers about FFVII without warning in one of his recent videos.
If you're implying that it was me who made the comment, you are wrong, I just thought it was a discussion that would do better on the Escapist where people are inclined to go into more detail than on Youtube.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
Well, it may be unrealistic for everybody to post spoiler tags, but according to the poll so far only 14% always post tags.
While a majority 68.7% say they only do so for more recent subjects, i.e. subjects that aren't common knowledge in public discourse yet. Your poll supports Zachary's logic.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
EternallyBored said:
I don't see why it's necessary to spoil key plot points in pop culture. Sure there are many classics that I wouldn't have experienced if they had not been repeatedly referenced in popular culture, however, my experience with those classics was definitely diminished by knowing the plots ahead of time. It's possible to make references to things in ways that do not spoil them for those that haven't seen them. I've seen plenty of references to Citizen Kane that do not give away the identity of Rosebud.

It's really a selfish attitude. It only takes the barest amount of effort to put up a spoiler warning, and it's an enormous courtesy to those who haven't seen something for whatever reason. After all, not everybody can devote their lives to keeping up to date on the constant stream of media being released so as to experience it before society decides to ruin it for everybody else.

RJ 17 said:
Drathnoxis said:
Well, it may be unrealistic for everybody to post spoiler tags, but according to the poll so far only 14% always post tags.
While a majority 68.7% say they only do so for more recent subjects, i.e. subjects that aren't common knowledge in public discourse yet. Your poll supports Zachary's logic.
I hardly see how the poll shows that it's impossible for there to be a cultural shift regarding spoilers, it simply states what people currently do.

Look at the enormous cultural shifts that have happened over the last 50 years, like allowing gay marriage. Take a poll then and I'm sure you would have had over 68.7% of Americans saying they didn't agree with gay marriage, that didn't make the eventual legalization equivalent to world peace, though.

And this is just spoiler warnings, it's not nearly so drastic a shift.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
Look at the enormous cultural shifts that have happened over the last 50 years, like allowing gay marriage. Take a poll then and I'm sure you would have had over 68.7% of Americans saying they didn't agree with gay marriage, that didn't make the eventual legalization equivalent to world peace, though.

Did....did you honestly just compare gay marriage to dropping spoilers? Wow...just...wow...

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
RJ 17 said:
Drathnoxis said:

Did....did you honestly just compare gay marriage to dropping spoilers? Wow...just...wow...
So it's not a good example of a cultural shift? Seems like it was a pretty major cultural shift to me.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
RJ 17 said:
Drathnoxis said:

So it's not a good example of a cultural shift? Seems like it was a pretty major cultural shift to me.
The acceptance of gay marriage is certainly a major cultural shift, comparing it to something like dropping spoilers is just insulting, however.

There's nothing "cultural" about finding it acceptable to discuss plot points that are already within mainstream knowledge. They're already in mainstream knowledge. What "shift" would you propose? That everyone just shut their yaps and refuse to talk about any book/movie/game the moment they're done experiencing it? Because that'd be the only way to ensure that there'd be no spoilers, and god help us all if someone gets spoiled about something that's two times older than they are!

So yeah, if you have a problem with a 20 year old game that is as renowned as FF7 getting spoiled: cry me a river then build a bridge and get over it.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
Harry Potter and Game Of Thrones / A Song Of Ice And Fire should NEVER be spoiled without warning.

Not even in a hundred years.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
EternallyBored said:
I don't see why it's necessary to spoil key plot points in pop culture. Sure there are many classics that I wouldn't have experienced if they had not been repeatedly referenced in popular culture, however, my experience with those classics was definitely diminished by knowing the plots ahead of time. It's possible to make references to things in ways that do not spoil them for those that haven't seen them. I've seen plenty of references to Citizen Kane that do not give away the identity of Rosebud.
It's not necessary, but then neither is putting literally everything in spoiler tags either, your slightly lessened enjoyment of a movie that's been spoiled for you is counterbalanced by pop culture scene that thrives on common knowledge, from comedy, to literary analysis, to commercials, to common conversation. What you are proposing is a hell of a lot more than just throwing spoiler tags on a forum post.

It's really a selfish attitude. It only takes the barest amount of effort to put up a spoiler warning, and it's an enormous courtesy to those who haven't seen something for whatever reason. After all, not everybody can devote their lives to keeping up to date on the constant stream of media being released so as to experience it before society decides to ruin it for everybody else.
No, it is not the barest amount of effort, in actual mainstream media, every second of a production costs thousands upon thousands of dollars, and a spoiler warning on a television show, radio program, or movie needs to be long enough for people to change the channel or leave, that's at the bare minimum 5-10 seconds, for something like Robot chicken or other sketch comedy shows, you would need spoiler warnings for a lot of different things, enough that you would have to cut out half to a whole sketch in order to fit run times. That time also adds up, you would be dealing with several cumulative hours worth of spoiler warnings a year, just sitting there.

It's also not easy to put them in things like movies either, the Clerks movie spoils Star Wars, do they stick the spoiler warning at the beginning of the movie or before the scene, one answer makes the warning useless as most people aren't going to tune into a movie playing on T.V. from the very beginning, the later interrupts the flow of the movie.

What about a comedian that makes a pop culture joke that might spoil something? Do they halt their set to warn the audience before they tell the joke? What about commercials, a lot do pop culture parodies of famous pieces of fiction? Commercials are planned and paid for down to the second, they either need to cut their running time or pay more money to include spoiler warnings.

I can go on and on, the plots and ripples caused by popular pieces of fiction are everywhere, they can't be expunged with a few spoiler warnings.

You may think its selfish, but I consider it infinitely more selfish to expect the entirety of pop culture and human media as a whole to cater to the completely uninitiated for all works ever produced by human beings. Going into a work unspoilered is not some necessary goal we should be shooting for, putting spoiler tags on forum posts is one thing, expecting media, comedy, analysis, and basic human conversation to conform to that standard just so you can enjoy your media a little bit more strikes me as very selfish indeed.

You are the one expecting everyone else to make the effort, but you fail to explain why it should matter, why is your desire to remain unspoiled on literally everything ever worth that. I've been spoiled on plenty of things, can it suck if it was something I might have been interested in? Yeah, it can be annoying, but I find the alternative you are proposing to be far, far worse.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
RJ 17 said:
There's nothing "cultural" about finding it acceptable to discuss plot points that are already within mainstream knowledge. They're already in mainstream knowledge.
Culture is defined as:
Dictionary.com said:
5. the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group
Thus, any change in the behaviors and beliefs of a group is a culture shift. Would everybody refraining from spoiling plots be a change in behaviour? Yes, it would, therefore it is a cultural shift.

The poll is a poll of what is. Me and Zachary were having a discussion about what could or could not be. Thus if you say the poll proves Zachary, you say that the poll is proof of what could not be.

You said that my poll supported Zachary's logic. Zachary claimed that not spoiling old stories is equivalent to attaining world peace or ending hunger, thus implying that such a minor culture change is impossible. I disputed this by saying that beside an enormous culture change like gay marriage, spoiler warnings are a trivial change.

RJ 17 said:
What "shift" would you propose?
I propose that people use spoiler warnings for major plot point no matter how old something is. If most people did this it would be easy for anybody who does not wish to be spoiled to remain unspoiled.

And what does it matter if a story is "two times older than they are." Do stories degrade over time? Are Tom Sawyer or Moby Dick not still fantastic works of fiction simply because they were written over a hundred years ago? Or is 50 Shades of Grey a masterpiece in comparison because it was only written only 4 years ago? No, if a story is worth reading after any amount of time, it's worth reading unspoiled.

Also, I hope you have a better day tomorrow, you should get some rest because you are being needlessly hostile and it's not very becoming.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
EternallyBored said:
do they stick the spoiler warning at the beginning of the movie
That actually wouldn't be a bad idea.

I dunno, you might be right, it would be a lot of work in some cases. How about I revise my stance to 'people should use spoiler warning whenever it can be added with little difficulty. e.g. forums, articles, informal videos like Jim's'

For the record, I believe that means Zachary Amaranth and Obsidian Jones can count themselves vindicated in their arguments, as well.

I still think that spoiler warnings shouldn't have expiry dates though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
And what does it matter if a story is "two times older than they are." Do stories degrade over time? Are Tom Sawyer or Moby Dick not still fantastic works of fiction simply because they were written over a hundred years ago? Or is 50 Shades of Grey a masterpiece in comparison because it was only written only 4 years ago? No, if a story is worth reading after any amount of time, it's worth reading unspoiled.
And after a certain amount of time, it becomes incumbent upon the person who has not experienced it to avoid spoilers, it is not incumbent upon those that have already experienced it to prevent spoilers from being dropped. As others have pointed out, spoilers can be dropped - as was the case with Jim and FF7 - during a joke. Because Aeris getting killed by Sephiroth is already something that's a very well known event. Why is it so well known? For one, FF7 had a major impact and is a world renowned game. Beyond that: it's almost 20 years old.

Should TV shows put up "SPOILER WARNING!!!" before making a joke about the "I Am Your Father" scene from Star Wars? Should the countless cartoons that have referenced the white-washing a fence scene have to put up spoiler warnings?

As I mentioned in my previous post: the only way to reach your utopian society and achieve the surprisingly massive cultural shift - if you insist upon calling it that - that you claim is trivial in creating a spoiler-free world is for everyone to refuse to speak of or even reference any form of media - be it a book, game, or movie - the moment they've finished experiencing it.

Also, I hope you have a better day tomorrow, you should get some rest because you are being needlessly hostile and it's not very becoming.
Oh, and I had a wonderful day today now that you mention it. Still am, in fact. I just find your position to be remarkably silly, and wanted to express that. You created a poll asking the following:

So now it's up to the Escapist to determine the truth. Is there a cutoff date when everybody who hasn't already seen something should be spoiled. If so, how long is the cutoff?
Well evidently your fellow Escapists have spoken, and now that you've discovered that you're in the minority opinion regarding this matter you're throwing a bit of a fit. So, my friend, I would return your advice: relax, lay down, and get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is another spoiler-filled day. :)

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
EternallyBored said:
do they stick the spoiler warning at the beginning of the movie
That actually wouldn't be a bad idea.

I dunno, you might be right, it would be a lot of work in some cases. How about I revise my stance to 'people should use spoiler warning whenever it can be added with little difficulty. e.g. forums, articles, informal videos like Jim's'

For the record, I believe that means Zachary Amaranth and Obsidian Jones can count themselves vindicated in their arguments, as well.

I still think that spoiler warnings shouldn't have expiry dates though.
Fair enough, I disagree, but at least that sounds within the bounds of reality.

I just don't think most people care as much about old spoilers as you seem to. It's not a matter of getting culture to shift, people just don't see spoilers as important as you do. People get mad when its new because there is hype and mystery surrounding it, you are caught up in the wave with everyone else. For old properties, most people just don't care that much.

I've been spoiled on old stuff before, even old stuff I wanted to experience, it was a minor annoyance at best, and the best media survives just fine even if you know the twist coming, I would find it a greater annoyance to have to tiptoe through any conversation about media just because someone somewhere might have a different knowledge base than me, just going through some of my old posts and some of the topics here, just on this forum alone you would end up with spoiler boxes everywhere.

Like many others have said, I don't go out of my way to post spoilers, and if I know I am talking to someone that hasn't experienced an old property I try to be considerate, but there are some things I just can't reasonably expect people to spoiler, Aeris' death being one of them.

Maybe that's just me, but I have been on the internet for over 20 years, and I've never seen anyone take spoilers for old properties as seriously as you seem to, personally, if a spoiler ruins my enjoyment of something, then it was never worth much beyond its twist to begin with.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
My main thing is that there is a point at which spoiler warnings become unnecessary (which varies based on how niche the work is), but that expectations of spoiler warnings should be reinstated if the work experiences a sudden surge in popularity or is remade. For example, right now I wouldn't feel bad spoiling anything in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (It's been out for practically 200 years. If you were going to read it you almost certainly already have.), but if HBO decided to adapt it into a miniseries then I'd start using spoiler warnings for it, since there is now a group of people that would not otherwise be exposed to the story who may now be interested in experiencing it for the first time.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Eomega123 said:
My main thing is that there is a point at which spoiler warnings become unnecessary (which varies based on how niche the work is), but that expectations of spoiler warnings should be reinstated if the work experiences a sudden surge in popularity or is remade. For example, right now I wouldn't feel bad spoiling anything in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (It's been out for practically 200 years. If you were going to read it you almost certainly already have.), but if HBO decided to adapt it into a miniseries then I'd start using spoiler warnings for it, since there is now a group of people that would not otherwise be exposed to the story who may now be interested in experiencing it for the first time.
Interestingly enough, since the OP mentioned FF 7, we might be running into a similar situation with that game due to the remake coming out sometime in the future.

It's one of those odd cases with remakes, on one hand, you'll have more people who didn't play the original looking into the remake and potentially spoiling themselves, especially if they are young since discussion around the original FF7 has been mostly dead for years now, outside of the infamous Aeris scene.

On the other hand, you are going to have a lot of people eager to talk about the plot of the game and what they might be changing, especially in regards to tightening up the plot and making it more coherent. So those who have played it are going to be talking about the plot in detail in greater numbers.

Remakes are sort of weird that way, while I probably won't go out of my way to avoid talking about spoilers, any topic I created near release I might put a spoiler warning in the title if I wanted to discuss plot.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
RJ 17 said:
regarding this matter you're throwing a bit of a fit.
A fit? Are you actually being serious? I'm sorry if I seemed offensive to anyone, I didn't mean to be. I thought everybody here was having a fairly calm debate.

But yeah, you are right that I made a mistake in my OP. I realized after I posted it that I didn't really want a generalized discussion and had to quote a bunch of people to try and get the discussion I wanted.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
RJ 17 said:
regarding this matter you're throwing a bit of a fit.
A fit? Are you actually being serious? I'm sorry if I seemed offensive to anyone, I didn't mean to be. I thought everybody here was having a fairly calm debate.
Oh you've been calm, otherwise you'd be throwing a tantrum. :p

The point is that, as you acknowledge in the 2nd bit of this post, your OP wasn't really worded properly. You asked for people's opinion, gave the power to those who would respond to "determine the truth". Once that truth was established - and it was one you disagreed with - you set out to confront everyone's opinion on the matter.

But yeah, you are right that I made a mistake in my OP. I realized after I posted it that I didn't really want a generalized discussion and had to quote a bunch of people to try and get the discussion I wanted.
Indeed, you should have simply have left out the poll entirely since you apparently don't care for the results that it's giving and only want to bicker with people who have a position in opposition to yours. There's nothing wrong with that, plenty of topics have that format, however you should have just referenced Jim as the basis for your topic and then stated your own opinion on the matter. As it is, you leave it open for majority rules, as signified by the presence of the poll and your wording of "it's up to The Escapist to determine the truth."

Edit: And I will apologize if I seemed - or seem - a bit harsh. To be honest I find it rather difficult to get worked up over anything on these forums due to how silly it is to get flustered over the opinions of someone you don't even know and will likely never even meet. :p