Poll: Is this what our once-brilliant Internet has devolved into?

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
DISCLAIMER
Video may be NSFW, depending on how strict your boss is or if you have access to Youtube or video sites. References to sexism, racism and other stuff. Legal-mumbo-jumbo here to save my ass if all this goes south, and it probably will.
Hey all.
I ask you all this simple question: Is the following video an accurate representation of what our Internet has now become?

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Dude, I love that video. I also love Billy Joel.

For some reason I feel that there may be a connection between the two....

By the way, you need a new video.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
A guy who I used to do nothing but flame everything he posted and himself vice versa, posted this up one day whilst we did our usual back and forth.
So yes.

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
"Once-brilliant Internet"?

Man, what alternate reality are you living in...and how do I sign up?

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
The Eggplant said:

This alternate reality you speak of is nothing more than what the Internet was before 4chan's trolls escaped the cages and bred into other sites.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
The Eggplant said:

My sentiments exactly.

Also when you say once brilliant, it makes me want to tell you to an hero, right now.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Wait, devolve into? It was always like this.
Damn, ninja'd. This is the only way it's ever been, shame on you for suggesting otherwise.

Big Brother is Watching

Adecristo

May 20, 2010
It didn't really devolve, maybe it is evolving into something better, reaching mid-stages as idiotic as presented in the video. Maybe in 10 years internet will be wonderful place because we will learn, how it shouldn't look like, and that trolling isn't good~
Sweet dreams.
My answer: "In some ways."

ROBOcity123

Mar 7, 2010
The brilliant thing about the internet is it works for everybody. Everyone has their own version of the internet that plays in different ways, nothing in life can work so well...Other than nature and math.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
yeah pretty much.
I was like 5 when the inetrnet came out for commercial use, and I didn't really get into it until I was like 12 and that was for completely the wrong reasons. But I get a feeling it's almost always been like that/this.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Damn, this does represent the internet in it's current state pretty well....but I mean, there were always jackasses and stuff before now, lol.

0bserv3

May 7, 2009
There are some places on the net that aren't like that. Think of it like the internet is going through a puberty of sorts and it'll grow out of it. I hope..

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
"Once brilliant internet"?

...when the hell did this magical time happen? In between the sinking of Atlantis and the rise of Hyboria?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Master_Spartan117666 said:
The Eggplant said:

This alternate reality you speak of is nothing more than what the Internet was before 4chan's trolls escaped the cages and bred into other sites.
If your birth year is accurate in your profile, then you can hear from someone who was screwing around online before you where born that the internet has pretty much always been like this, just a lot slower, less shinny, and a whole lot less flashy.

Phenom828 said:
yeah pretty much.
I was like 5 when the inetrnet came out for commercial use, and I didn't really get into it until I was like 12 and that was for completely the wrong reasons. But I get a feeling it's almost always been like that/this.
Must be older then your profile says. The internet was opened to commercial interests in 1988.

TheNatMan said:
There are some places on the net that aren't like that. Think of it like the internet is going through a puberty of sorts and it'll grow out of it. I hope..
It's never going to grow out of it until the anonymity goes away. I don't want that to ever go away. I like being anonymous, and I can handle a few idiots to make sure I can stay way. Unfortunately most can't and will sacrifice all manner of freedoms to have some of the illusion of safety and security.