Poll: Is Wearing a Bike Helmet Worth it?

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
I never get on my bike unless im wearing my helmet, leather and kevlar gloves and my kevlar plated jacket.
And helmet decals make them look pretty baddass these days.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Mackheath said:
ultrachicken said:
That's why you wear helmets correctly.
I did. But where I lived helmets came in one size, and I had was a small kid for my age back then.
I find that hard to believe, but regardless I suggest getting a helmet that fits.

Mr Montmorency

Jun 29, 2010
solidstatemind said:
Mr Montmorency said:
I actually ride safer than I would wearing a helmet because that way I doesn't mess with my centre of gravity. But really, I never ride bikes, and when I do I don't go far.

The only injury I've gotten on a bike is stopping suddenly and slamming my crotch into the handlebars. I spent a month with a ripped... I'll stop now. Point is... I was wearing the helmet. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't have enough momentum.
Wow, what was your helmet made out of? Concrete? Most modern helmets weigh less than 16 oz., and I doubt that any helmet would add enough weight to appreciably impact either your center of gravity or your angular momentum.
Last time I rode a bike was probably early 2000s. I remember my shitty green helmet, that gave me a red helmet because it was heavy enough to build up enough momentum whenever I pull one of my very paranoid sudden halts from fear of getting injured.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I don't usually bother...it results in me having to carry it around for the rest of the day...If i am careful and keep off the roads i will be fine.
If i am going somewhere i deem unsafe I will put one on like barcariours cliff mountain, or blind corner country lane, then on goes the helmet.

lokust2001

Mar 4, 2008
Well according to the doctor, and backed up by the cracked in half bike helmet and mass of flesh that was torn from my face, without a bike helmet I would have been either killed or severely brain damaged when I was 11, so unsurprisingly the bike helmet gets the thumbs up from me every time!

NoseDigger

Aug 25, 2009
I don't wear one. I do live in Holland though, so everyone is wary of bikers and you have to be aware of them. I probably should wear one, I just never do. Undoubtedly I does wonders in saving the white and grey matter.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Konrad Curze said:
Yes I wear one but only because I would get fined if I did not.
Personally if given the choice I would not bother. Yes it could save your life if you are hit, but since if you do get hit it is going to be a body shot from a speeding chunk of heavy metal chances are the helmet wont do jack shit. Not to mention that if say you do fall on your head it may save your life but chances are you will just end up snapping your neck instead and thus even if you do survive will be left a cripple.
The helmet will break, increasing the stopping distance between you and the car/road. That will reduce the force on you neck by changing the impulse of the interaction. The helmet will in fact reduce neck injury if the helmet is struck.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
A helmet will save your life. If you're worried about looking like a safety conscious individual, just wear a full face motorcycle helmet plastered in kickass graphics.

Or you know, the fuck with other people, Imma do what I want.

ooknabah

Jul 4, 2010
Mr Montmorency said:
solidstatemind said:
Mr Montmorency said:
I actually ride safer than I would wearing a helmet because that way I doesn't mess with my centre of gravity. But really, I never ride bikes, and when I do I don't go far.

The only injury I've gotten on a bike is stopping suddenly and slamming my crotch into the handlebars. I spent a month with a ripped... I'll stop now. Point is... I was wearing the helmet. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't have enough momentum.
Wow, what was your helmet made out of? Concrete? Most modern helmets weigh less than 16 oz., and I doubt that any helmet would add enough weight to appreciably impact either your center of gravity or your angular momentum.
Last time I rode a bike was probably early 2000s. I remember my shitty green helmet, that gave me a red helmet because it was heavy enough to build up enough momentum whenever I pull one of my very paranoid sudden halts from fear of getting injured.
... So I guess you don't wear jackets because they would give you too much "momentum" as well? Bike helmets do not weigh a lot.

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
kurupt87 said:
RootbeerJello said:
Umm, next time you make a thread with a poll can you make sure the title and poll ask the same thing. [sub]Or it was a stroke of genius designed to make people post their answer to the title too!?[/sub]

Is it worth wearing a healmet? Yes.

Do I? No. The only reason being that I can't be arsed lugging it around with me all day. Stupid and lazy? Aye, those too.
Trust me, I wasn't trying to cheat my way to getting any badges. I have whatever the smallest one is for posts in a thread, and I don't expect or need to get the next one. But yes, I did want answers to both questions, which you provided. I started with just asking whether or not people wore the things, but seeing if people thought it was worth it made for better conversation, as you showed by adding the factor that I don't believe was mentioned yet of being too lazy to carry a helmet, yet thinking they're important to wear.

DJmagma said:
no. you look stupid and most people don't go fast enough to where if they crash they could do serious damage to the skull. and if you do, you deserve to get your skull damaged.
I deserve to get my skull damaged if I wear a helmet? Please explain that cruel irony to me.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Well when I got run down by a car at age 12 I would have been dead if I didn't have a helmet. It's your choice.

Mr Montmorency

Jun 29, 2010
ooknabah said:
Mr Montmorency said:
solidstatemind said:
Mr Montmorency said:

... So I guess you don't wear jackets because they would give you too much "momentum" as well? Bike helmets do not weigh a lot.
Yeah, THAT helmet was heavy and combined with my paranoia for stopping suddenly, it did me worse.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
DJmagma said:
no, you deserve to get skull damage if you ride a bike so fast if you crash you could do severe damage to your skull.
You don't actually have to go that fast. If you ride at a solid 40 km/h and collide with a car going the same speed, you'd either hit the ground at approx 40 km/h, or hit the car at approx 80 km/h. I'd say that in either case, an unprotected skull has a decent chance of being cracked (not to mention what would happen to the stuff inside the skull).

My answer would be yes. You can suffer some decent concussions just from falling from your bike while it's idling. Also, are bike helmets that bad looking? I actually find most of them to be quite cool.