Poll: Is your first Final Fantasy your favorite?

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
My first Final Fantasy was XII, and yes, it's my favorite. I've since played nearly all of the main series games, and I like them all, but XII has the character types and political story I prefer. FF Tactics and Vagrant Story are also particular favorites of mine, so I don't think XII is my favorite because it's my first FF. It just happened to be my first.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Not for me, no. The first one I played was the 7th, but I like 6 and 9 more.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Nope, Not even close.

Although I HAVE played Final Fantasy more than any other installment, I would say my favored is FF3-Snes (damn you Square for screwing up your own numbering system)

The original final fantasy ranks like number 5 on my list behind 3(6) 9, 7, 2, 1, 10

So at least for me your theory doesnt hold water. Others it might. I can see some specious reasoning in it and I think it does apply to some.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
My favourite is probably Dirge of Cerberus, VII was my first so I guess sort of yeah.

XII is a close second for me, though.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
My first was VII but I couldn't say it's my favourite. Having played all of them except the online ones, I'd have to say that I hold V, VI, VII and IX in equally high regard.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
My first game in the series was Final Fantasy X, while my favorite game in the series(and of all time) is Final Fantasy X-2.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
I started with watching a friend playing final fantasy VIII and i absolutely fell in love with it. When i finally got some cash i had to play it and eventually i borrowed VII, but i still loved the style and Squall more than Cloud.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
viranimus said:
Nope, Not even close.

Although I HAVE played Final Fantasy more than any other installment, I would say my favored is FF3-Snes (damn you Square for screwing up your own numbering system)

The original final fantasy ranks like number 5 on my list behind 3(6) 9, 7, 2, 1, 10

So at least for me your theory doesnt hold water. Others it might. I can see some specious reasoning in it and I think it does apply to some.
Well, looking at the poll results thus far, I'd say my theory does have SOME potential. 40% of people thus far have said that their first was their favorite.

Considering that there are currently 14 numbered Final Fantasies, plus spin-offs, sequels, and the like, that percentage is actually rather high.

I wasn't expecting 100% or anything, but results thus far are promising, if nothing else.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
My first was FF4(2 when I was playing it on the SNES) and while I did overplay the hell out of it no it wasn't my favorite. I personally enjoyed 6, 7, and 9 over it.

JustPhil

Dec 7, 2009
My first one was 7, I only became aware the series when I played a demo of 8 but at the time 7 was a lot cheaper so I went for that instead. 7 is definitely my favourite although I enjoyed 8, 10 and 12. 9 didn't really do much for me (I lost interest about 5 hours in) and while I enjoyed 6 I never got around to finishing it (same applies to 3 which I got for the iPhone).

A lack of PS3 or 360 prevents me from playing 13 (unless they release a PC version for some weird reason), but apparently there's a truck load of grind involved to progress through the story so I would inevitably get bored and leave it if that's the case.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
My first was 7. I can't rank them 1 to 10 (Literally 1 to 10 in my discerning mind) but my favourite has always been 9 since I played it.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
nope; my first was VII - completely overrated. unlikable main-main chars (as in Cloud and Sephiroth)

my favourite is VI; and the newer they get, the... aah, nvm, just stick to the good memories ^^

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Final Fantasy X was my first and favourite Final Fantasy game. I don't think it has anything to do with it being my first experience with the series though, it's my favourite because it's the one I enjoyed the most.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
First and only was IX, stopped playing jrpgs some time after that, liked 9 but never felt like taking a hard look at the series again. Tried 13, had slightly less interactivity than Dragon's Lair, and a heck of a lot less personality.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
For me it was. It was ffx, for the record.

Borrowed it from a friend and was blown away. Bought it first chance I got after that. ffx-2 was also a day one purchase though that one left me... less moved. I got a little more careful after that and borrowed 12 from a friend before buying it. Good thing I did because I haaaaated the skill system. I just couldn't turn those 6 blank slates into a good team. And apparently you're supposed to grind for gear and levels in between each major mission? Grind??? In a single player RPG???

After that, what other choices did I have? 11 and 14 are mmo's (both not very good, or so I'm told anyway) And 13 is barely in the same genre anymore. I also don't have the hardware (aka: a ps3) to run 13 and above. And I'm too lazy / not tech savvy enough to emulate the ones before 10.

So there it is, my short yet passionate fling with final fantasy :(

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
nah, the first one I played was 7, then 8 which both turned out to be completely retarded. Yeah, I liked them at first but they were the only RPGs I have played so far, so I didn't have any comparison. Then I played FF6 (that's FF3 if your country doesn't know how to count) and it was fucking awesome with a completely awesome villain who doesn't turn out to be a dumbass bishounen (and is more accomplished than any other of them) and a simple plot filled with well-designed characters and incredible moments of growth and development.

Can't say anything about the installments after 9 (which was decent enough) but if they were anything like 10 and the cutscenes then I'm not all too keen to play them.

Besides, fuck square enix, I'm going to play some more atlus games.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Final Fantasy VIII was my first one. It's in the top of the list, but gets beaten by FFX.
Yes, fuck the characters, but it was my first PS2 game. Awesome graphics! They spoke! I was amazed, and also still young enough not to find Tidus and Wakka that annoying.
Remember when FFX-2 was getting released. I didn't know anything about the game except for the title, but I went and bought on the release day. Played for a couple of hours and hated it. Haven't liked any FF game since FFX. Almost considering to get FFXIII-2 though. Only like £11... and I love mah trophies.

Have probably sunk the most hours into FFVIII though. Started the game, got to the prison part, took a break from the game, started over again when I got back to it a few months later. Over and over! Think I only got to disc 3+ once.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
I played Final Fantasy 1 first and 2 shortly thereafter. They're fine I suppose but FF6 is easily my favorite in the series and I didn't get a hold of that one until relatively recently.

FF4 also has its moments, but I've never played a version of it with a translation I could be proud of and the number of "fake deaths" is almost comical but overall, I close runner up.

To reiterate, FF1 was the first in the series I ever played, but FF6 outdoes it in every possible way. Take that primacy bias!

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
My first Final Fantasy was 6, and while I still enjoy it a lot, my favorite's 5 because I really enjoy the job system. Tactics and 12 are close runners-up due to the political intrigue in their stories and lack of whining about being close friends.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
I first played Final Fantasy 7. I really enjoy it, and argue that it's one of the greatest games ever made. However, FF9 is by far my favorite in the series.