Poll: It's The Season...For Hair Lice...

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Yessir, it's louse season in Sweden! Tons of children get infested with this rather harmless but irritating creepy crawlie, and in turn can spread it to their parents or adults who work with them.

I was wondering why my head has been so itchy for the past week. As I found out yesterday, I have hair lice. Might've gotten it from one of the kids I supervise in my taekwondo club. Combined with the emotional stress I've been feeling for quite some time, I reacted in the way a sensible adult should react: I bought some lice shampoo, walked home to my grandparents and told them about my findings.

And then I burst into tears.

The lice shampoo has done its' job, though, as my hair has hardly itched today, and I only found a few more lice as I combed my hair. Needless to say, though, my mom combed her hair like crazy, trying to see if she had any lice, and my bed got some fresh clean sheets.

You might be able to tell, but I've never had lice until now.

So, Escapist, is it louse season on your country? Have you ever had hair lice yourself?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Is it louse season on your country?
*Shrugs*. I 'unno.

Have you ever had hair lice yourself?
Nope. A lot of people here do throw up a lot in the winter when they catch the infamous virus, though. It's probably because of their appalling hygiene standards.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Bleugh.

I got head lice once or twice from other kids in school, I can't remember what age exactly but I was definitely younger than 7 or 8.

I still vividly remember the toxic smell of the chemical shit you had to use and my mom using a really tiny, fine-tooth comb to get them out of my hair.

It's such a horrible feeling.

My scalp suddenly feels itchy...

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Colour Scientist said:
I still vividly remember the toxic smell of the chemical shit you had to use and my mom using a really tiny, fine-tooth comb to get them out of my hair.
I guess I'm lucky to not have to use stuff like that. The lice shampoo I used didn't smell like anything, and it focuses on suffocating the lice to prevent the lice from getting resistent. O rsomething
Colour Scientist said:
...I'm sorry for doing that.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Twintix said:
Colour Scientist said:
I guess I'm lucky to not have to use stuff like that. The lice shampoo I used didn't smell like anything, and it focuses on suffocating the lice to prevent the lice from getting resistent. O rsomething
Colour Scientist said:
We didn't have the luxury of fancypants non-smelling shampoo in the nineties.

We were hardcore in those days.

Back when men were men and chickens chewed tobacco.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I work as a Teaching Assistant so it's only a matter of time before I catch any and all manner of ailments from the walking petri dishes, I mean kids.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Colour Scientist said:
Twintix said:
Colour Scientist said:
Colour Scientist said:
We didn't have the luxury of fancypants non-smelling shampoo in the nineties.

We were hardcore in those days.

Back when men were men and chickens chewed tobacco.
Wha- I thought it was the other way around! I'VE MADE A FOOL OF MYSELF!

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
I think I'm traumatised from getting lice as a child. I got them again when I was in the army.

Uuuuuugggghhhhh...

I'm going to take a shower forever.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Yeah I got them when I was a kid. Intentionally I might add.

Me or one of my siblings being found with headlice was basically a guaranteed day off from school while my mum sorted us out... So whenever a kid in my class was said to have headlice I'd go and make friends with them and get uncomfortably close in an attempt to catch lice from them and get a free day off school.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Never once had head lice. My sisters on the other hand have had lice 3 times at least.

Only tangentially related, I once had ring worm on my head, causing me to go bald in a spot. You think kids make fun of you from having lice, God you should see how they treat those who have a bald spot.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I didn't know head-lice were going around in our schools, thanks for the heads up. ,)

I had lice once when I was young, my sister and I got it at the same time.
I still remember the noxious gases the shampoo gave off. Oh, and the puncture wounds caused by the steel-toothed comb. Brr

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Since I'm Swedish, yep! It's the lousiest season of them all!

I don't think it'll make me take off the hat I always wear...

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Dirty Cop James funs said:
Never had head lice in my teen to adult years, though I started itching my head after reading about it here. The human brain is weird like that.
Yeah, my mum reacted the same way when I told her about it. She didn't have any lice, but she still felt her head itching after I told her.

First Colorful Scientist, now you. HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE WILL I PLAGUE WITH THIS?!
Queen Michael said:
Since I'm Swedish, yep! It's the lousiest season of them all

...GODDAMNIT! Why didn't I think of that?! It would've been the best title ever!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Never since I for one wash my hair oftern and I was fortunate that the problem never arise when I was little.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Lice?

I had those a REALLY long time ago, but I haven't had a repeat of that in a really long time...

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Fellow Swede here and no, I've never had lice. Better start avoid people like they've got the plague now. Got very long hair and I don't really feel like getting infested. :C

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
This reminds me of something I heard once, that genital lice (crabs) was on the verge of becoming extinct, because of the current trend of shaving pubic hair. If this is true (which I'm not sure, it's just something I heard online), I always thought it would be neat to do a global "Shave your head for head lice" day. In an attempt to kill off the pest. It wouldn't work of course, too many people have an unnatural attachment to their hair, but it's a nice idea. Maybe even make some incentive program to get everyone to participate. An entire planet of shaved headed humans for a month or so to get rid of head lice. The image is funny in my head, but also something I'd like to see happen. xD