Poll: Jade Empire or Secret World?

xefaros

Jun 27, 2012
Dont know about jade empire but if its Bioware i wouldnt touch it.On the Secret World side its population is decreasing rapidly and since its a more story driven MMO i didnt have much interest after finishing it and its story is mediocre at best,if u go for it remember to close the chat. I would suggest keep that money for the upcoming steam sale(1 month or so) so u can get 2 or more better games

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I liked Jade Empire, but I'd recommend The Secret World. It might not be the best MMO out there, but it does some interesting things and the writing is simply unparallelled. Plus, of course, it's the only worthwhile urban fantasy RPG since Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Don't go with Jade Empire. Pretty bad combat, annoying characters. It has a cliche plot up until a twist (that I actually saw coming a mile off) but it can be entertaining. The world is basically, Chinese folklore. I don't think it's worth 30 bucks. At all. It's better to wait for a deal on it.

Nathan Fillion's character is not a reason to buy it. You won't even notice him, believe me.

Never played Secret World but I heard it's decent.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Secret World by far.

I played it and loved it for at least 6 months straight, but I've since moved on. I go back to it now and then as I'm a lifetimer, but I don't stay for more than a month. Not because it's a bad game, but rather I do that with all MMO's. I've only stayed with an MMO for years at a time back in the day.. with original EverQuest and such.

It's not the most updated and popular MMO out there, but they receive regular updates. However, it is by far the most original.

Play it, do the investigation missions without cheating and you'll not regret it.

Jade Empire, while an interesting premise, is before it's time. The game has not aged well, both it's narrative structure and gameplay are not refined very well. Don't misinterpret me, it's a great game in it's own right, but if I had to pick one or the other.. you'd get more out of TSW in my opinion.

cerebreturns

Jan 15, 2013
This is a old review I had for TSW that I still feel plays out well. Though now that it's a "buy once" game, it's much more worth it. Hard to beat at 30$ I think

The Secret World
+A new type of mmo. It just is. It seems to successfuly do what starwars TOR was trying to do with story, mostly in that you feel involved in a story. You don't really get to choose options, but it feels like you are actually in a story & a constent world.
+Investigation missions are quests where you have to figure out puzzles using real world skills. You find a morse code transmission that says where a treasure is. How do you solve it? ...Decipher it, learn morse code. You have to unlock a computer password and the only hints you get are "the music of the seasons" and that it plays under fireworks a lot of the time. No multiple choice, just those 2 things... And those are 2 of the EASIER ones
+Current Day "magic & secret societies are real" setting, unlike anything another mmo has really done. If you are a fan of zombies, hp lovecraft, the illuminati, the dresdin files, basicly any sort of "modern wierd fantasy" the setting is great
+No levels, you get points as you get xp, points to put in skills & into powers. The amount of xp you need for points never really increases, though the quest xp you get does. The game has a staggeringly huge number of powers, something like 12 weapons, each weapon haveing 2 main trees and then 6 secondary trees (each tree being 8 powers).
+Lots of in game cut scenes & the BEST acting i have EVER seen in a mmo, nothing else has come even close. Seriously, i can not stress this enough... Every quest person you meet in this game nearly feels like a completly fleshed out character. When you can meet a tribe of red neck indians and each of them seems like a unique & well thought out character you know they are doing something right.
+TONS of content, i've played threw one full zone of 3 maps, and there are i belive 4 zones? it took me roughly 30 hours or more to do just that, and i only repeated a quest once or twice.

-Has a cash shop where you can buy visual changes for your character
-Provides only limited structure for learning the skill/power system, meaning it has a high learning curve
-Dosn't allow respecs
-Graphicly it's good game, but the character combat animations leave something to be desired
-The combat it's self is nothing amazing
-Can be a very dark & gruesome game
-This is a mmo where the story and playing threw the game IS the game. If you just want to get to end game to grind raid bosses this is a horrible choice of a mmo, see TERA.
-There is no world pvp, only large instanced pvp that feels very "zerg"

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
You're going to want a gamepad for Jade Empire. It is incredibly clunky on the keyboard. You will also want to play around with the button layouts on the gamepad.

But its a decent game. Has some borderline racist depictions of asian people, though. (their faces are all the stereotype oriental eyes).

Voice acting is okay... some of it comes off as amateur stuff. I'll be honest it can be pretty bland and boring at times. Combat is way too easy, just use magic once you get it and most enemies die before they can ever come into melee range. Use that one girl companion who restores your magic in combat.

My recommendation would be to buy a different game @_@. . . Terraria will be getting a pretty massive update to the PC version at the end of May. Binding of Isaac is cheap and incredibly fun...

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
Jade Empire without a doubt. It was made when Bioware was still Bioware and not the assimilated drone that it is now. It's got everything you've come to expect from classic Bioware, great story, involving party members, well-written and engaging, superb soundtrack etc. The combat is actually quite interesting with a variety of combat styles based on real life kung fu like Jeet Kun Do and Wing Chun (though they aren't called that in the game). Weapon styles are also available as well to fluff things up. All of which was masterfully motion-captured with what appeared to be real kung fu artists judging by the fluidity of the moves. Did I mention Jade Empire has a great soundtrack. Yes I did. Seriously, how can you argue with this:

I wouldn't go with TSW really. It was pretty much a dead-on-arrival MMO. No telling when EA will eventually pull the plug on the servers as they have done to older games in the past. Personally I can't say much more about TSW as I haven't played it and a part of my brain sort of shuts off the moment I hear MMORPG nowadays. It's a bad bet really.

If you are fan of RPGs or classic Bioware RPGs, Jade Empire all the way.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I would honestly look into other games. Jade Empire was a great game at the time, but it just doesn't work well on new systems (though it works better than some people make it out to). It also isn't up to the usual standards of old bioware games (no comment on new standards). The Secret World was fun when I played it, and I loved the puzzles, but Funcom is trying to avoid death right now. They recently had to merge all three of their MMOs into one building and they shifted all three MMOs under one creative director. So this one guy who is supposed to come up with content ideas and is the final word on what goes in the game, is directing three games at the same time, I can see no way this ends well.

Nepukadnezzar

Mar 19, 2013
I can recommend both.

I like playing TSW, but it is still horribly bugged. If you hate that, pick Jade Empire. On the other side, it is one of the most different MMORPGs out there, but maybe that's just the setting. And I am a sucker for free character development.

Jade Empire is not as deep as knights of the old republic (my opinion), because you basically only play with one character, but it has one of the best plot twists in gaming history (I should have seen that coming)
And it is perfectly fine with keyboard.

So:
not so much time investment: Jade Empire (though still a bloody lot)
one hell of a timesink: The Secret World