Poll: Jim sterling VS Extra credits

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Extra Credits have a tendency to go on and on about very simple ideas, which comes off as "talking down" to anyone who understood what they meant in the first minute. For a similar effect, try reading a "stub" article on Wikipedia fifteen times.

There's also that weird thing they do when editorializing, where the guy (whose name eludes me) starts speaking with dramatic pauses (case in point, the Missile Command episode). It's just silly, especially with the sped-up audio (which, for the record, is unnecessary and annoying). They still have some good points, though. Their suggestions for XBL harassment were well-considered, and I'm glad they promote healthy, progressive views on gaming.

Sterling tends to be more insightful, humorous and convincing than any of the other video series on the site. Yeah, there are dick jokes, but there's also high art like the Mass Effect fanfiction.

Gamergeek25

Mar 29, 2011
The way I see it is Extra credit videos are more Instructor to Student styled videos. In the end I feel EC really wants the best for gamers and Devs .

James Ennever

Jul 11, 2011
mireko said:
Extra Credits have a tendency to go on and on about very simple ideas, which comes off as "talking down" to anyone who understood what they meant in the first minute. For a similar effect, try reading a "stub" article on Wikipedia fifteen times.

There's also that weird thing they do when editorializing, where the guy (whose name eludes me) starts speaking with dramatic pauses (case in point, the Missile Command episode). It's just silly, especially with the sped-up audio (which, for the record, is unnecessary and annoying). They still have some good points, though. Their suggestions for XBL harassment were well-considered, and I'm glad they promote healthy, progressive views on gaming.

Sterling tends to be more insightful, humorous and convincing than any of the other video series on the site. Yeah, there are dick jokes, but there's also high art like the Mass Effect fanfiction.
The missile command episode was well spoofed by jim in his "extra" episode http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5481-Jimquisition-Extra-Virgillio-Armarndios-Art-Hole
It worked on so many levals as a biting crituiqe of the missile command episode.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
Hi, long time browser first time poster. You've trolled... er pulled me into it.

I really can't see how EC has anything to offer the video game industry. From what I've seen EC is just about a pitch-man for them as it stands. When you hear an industry pitch-person, you hear a cry for continuity, because the persons making cash wants that trend to... continue! And those people making that cash are paying for ye old pitch-person. What's more, I'm a game consumer with no plans to develop a game of my own. Idol dreams maybe, but certainly no plans.

The Jimquisition is far more relevant to the industry if its looking for ways to improve itself. By which I mean, Jim deals in the here and now from a gamer's rather then a designer/publisher's perspective. Publishers don't need help being publishers from other publishers, they do need feedback on how their projects are going from those in the know. In some cases that's accountants, in others it might just as easily be the Jimquisition. There are those who have suggested that Jim's a little graphic, frequent squiggly willy-man drawings and the occasional tirade while holding a chainsaw sword.

I believe in Jim. In a world full of pain and suffering, I see Jim rising above it, almost like Icarus himself! And I say to all you disbelievers of the POWER OF JIM... I say he is the Jim, and while he may seem profane and occasionally unprocessed, that's because the Jim can be whatever it wants to be... Sort of like Gozer the Gozerian.

In fact, Gozer bless you Jim. Gozer bless you.

Group Grope

Aug 5, 2011
While extra credits can be a little idealistic their ideas are spot on most of time. if everyone in the industry (especially EA) listened to them we would see a golden age of gaming where all other forms of entertainment pail in comparison.

Jim on the other hand is a raging **** and should be band form the interwebs, yes I know it's supposed to be self parody but he is a dickhead and it shows. people who hate women like he does deserve to choke on their own vomit. I hope he stops breathing asap.

Group Grope

Aug 5, 2011
As to EC being pretentious that's complete bull they are accessible the show is designed so if you never heard of games at all you can understand what they are saying. this is a good thing it means non gamers can watch and understand without needing years of specialized knowledge. If your not patient enough to wait through explanations you don't need then don't watch. But as a mechanical engineer who plays Dwarf Fortress I may know a thing or two about games and everything else and I don't find EC pretentious or boring.

SeptusCap

May 17, 2012
How is EC *not* pretentious. They stretch the simplest ideas (not topics) for 10 minutes and then act like they've just finished a lecture on quantum physics. They also tend to say things like "we'll make an episode on that when the data's a little less murky" or "it's just too early to tell" when clearly they just don't know. In fact based on what the show has actually gone over, they don't know much of anything.

Regarding their "genius" auto-mute idea, there was a similar karma system implemented in The Sims Online. What happened? Trolls mass muted innocent players in order to get them "auto-muted" (or in the case of Sims, fucked their karma). This *on paper* genius shows through in everything they say. It's just smart enough to fool a moron into thinking they know something.

Group Grope said:
But as a mechanical engineer who plays Dwarf Fortress I may know a thing or two about games and everything else and I don't find EC pretentious or boring.
Irony?

liger03

Nov 30, 2010
I liked EC, they left, oh well, ZP. Woo hoo. Now we have to try ripping open the wound with forum polls?

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
TheKasp said:
liger03 said:
I liked EC, they left, oh well, ZP. Woo hoo. Now we have to try ripping open the wound with forum polls?
You liked them so much that you necroed this thread? Good for you...
Well, I really wouldn't call it necroing, since it is less than a month old. It is, however, one of those threads I had hoped would just die and never resurface.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
The difference between Jim Sterling and Extra Credits is that Jim aims for entertainment value mainly and is very forceful in putting his point across.

Extra Credits is more about creating debate and trying to get people to think in a different way, both have their uses but personally I prefer Extra Credits as a show because on the internet strongly opinionated people are a dime a dozen.

Sometimes though the guys at Extra Credits can sound very whiny and preachy, sometimes unable to accept some games are fine being mindless fun, though I'm sure they enjoy their fair share of that.

Both of the aforementioned videos have good episodes and bad episodes. For example, Jim Sterling can sometimes sit around making a point that almost everyone agrees with already (homosexuality in videogames not being a problem etc) but sometimes he can speak out with such vulgar and brutal honesty that you just have to see why he hates the current state of the game industry (Day one DLC, Publishers etc)

On the flip side Extra Credits has some great episodes like their tutorials episode (which really explained how tutorials work in a game) and their debate on MMO's. However some of their more abstract episodes like reading extremely deep into missile command seemed forced (I get the idea, nuclear war and it's hopeless) they try to impose too much emotion onto a game that was fun but hardly tear jerking.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Just recently watched the Extra Credits: hard boiled episode.
They rolled up old obvious points for the wrong game and i give a shit about their preachy, long, whiny rants. In the end it wasn`t nowhere near proffesional, it just sounded like a lame butthurt opinion with a squeaky pitched anoying voice. I won`t click those so called "proffesionals" again.
It all reminds me why i prefer Jim Sterling.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Just curious when is a thread considered dead? After a week or maybe two? It`s not even a month old and already a necro thread?
This would explain massive amount of "your favorite/most dissapointing game"threads popping up every few days.